PDA

View Full Version : Name for Project?

kevin11951
March 17th, 2011, 08:14 PM
In an effort to learn Python, I want to write and release an application for Linux...

A recent issue I've had is running a Linux server on a laptop, and wanting it to shut down automatically in the even of a power disruption.

The code works (but I will clean it up before release), however I still need a name for it...

The project will watch for any power disruptions (/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state changes), and upon such an event happening it will wait one minute and check again, if the disruption is still occurring, it will shut down the laptop in question, and optionally alert the sys admin via email...

What would I name this project...

PS. While such an application may not be useful to anyone besides me, perhaps it will grow to become useful as time goes on.

edit: and yes, I already thought of "UselessApp.py"

Xantheil
March 17th, 2011, 08:18 PM
How about STFU.py?
:P

Does what it says!

Joe of loath
March 17th, 2011, 08:50 PM
serversave?

Something like that :p

YfoMp5QBh2
March 17th, 2011, 09:07 PM
so does it protect the laptop against power surges? how about 'server surge shield'

catchy! :P

fuduntu
March 17th, 2011, 09:09 PM
In an effort to learn Python, I want to write and release an application for Linux...

A recent issue I've had is running a Linux server on a laptop, and wanting it to shut down automatically in the even of a power disruption.

The code works (but I will clean it up before release), however I still need a name for it...

The project will watch for any power disruptions (/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state changes), and upon such an event happening it will wait one minute and check again, if the disruption is still occurring, it will shut down the laptop in question, and optionally alert the sys admin via email...

What would I name this project...

PS. While such an application may not be useful to anyone besides me, perhaps it will grow to become useful as time goes on.

edit: and yes, I already thought of "UselessApp.py"

Drop a shell script in /etc/pm/power.d that counts the number of switches. After #n, shutdown. In /etc/rc.local, delete the counter.

kevin11951
March 17th, 2011, 09:11 PM
For the interested among you:

http://serversave.sourceforge.net/

Also, if you are interested, I could use some help...

NightwishFan
March 17th, 2011, 09:34 PM
That is awesome. I will check it out.

forrestcupp
March 17th, 2011, 11:38 PM
So you went with serversave? You took the fun out of trying to think up names. ;)

kevin11951
March 17th, 2011, 11:57 PM
So you went with serversave? You took the fun out of trying to think up names. ;)

Well, I can always change it ;)