PDA

View Full Version : Always disliked Sony - now I MASSIVELY dislike them

youbuntu
March 17th, 2011, 04:25 PM
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2382149,00.asp

Give me a reason NOT to dislike these hypocritical corporate bloodsuckers? Irony & hypocisy abound, it was the very same Sony who mass produced audio CDs with "rootkits" inside, that cut a hole through Windows' security, in order for them to be able to spy on their "customers". Oh how the tables have turned, and it seems THEY DON'T LIKE IT.

Could it be they are bitter, due to their (numerous) failed proprietary formats, such as Betamax (yes, I know it was technically better than VHS) miniDISC, Memory Stick, UMD... need I go on?

Boo hoo, Sony, go take a running jump - noone likes you.

Grenage
March 17th, 2011, 04:32 PM
To be honest, it's all a storm in a teacup.

The last 4-5 paragraphs made me laugh, it reads as though someone has a rather high opinion of himself.

Could it be they are bitter, due to their (numerous) failed proprietary formats, such as Betamax (yes, I know it was technically better than VHS) miniDISC, Memory Stick, UMD... need I go on?

Yeah, CDs and BDs never took off. ;)

Kirboosy
March 17th, 2011, 04:39 PM
I don't get this. You buy a device, you should be able to do whatever the heck you want with it! Its no longer in Sony's possesion. I could see if they were illegally remaking clones of the PS3 or something crazy but really?

Microsoft is generally the ones who get bent out of shape easily with hackers...

Does permit the cracking of copyright protection devices, however, to conduct encryption research, assess product interoperability, and test computer security systems. Sony can't stop them. Hotz can just claim this part of the Act.

youbuntu
March 17th, 2011, 04:43 PM

The last 4-5 paragraphs made me laugh, it reads as though someone has a rather high opinion of himself.

Yeah, CDs and BDs never took off. ;)

Sony AND Philips - not just Sony, developed the CD. Meh. I mentioned the FAILED formats, not the successes :). Have you counted how many have failed?

Anyhow, you're missing the point, and it is not about that.

sydbat
March 17th, 2011, 04:44 PM

Yeah, CDs and BDs never took off. ;)Also, don't forget that the Betamax format was used for nearly 3 decades by the TV industry because of it's superior quality picture and sound.

youbuntu
March 17th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Also, don't forget that the Betamax format was used for nearly 3 decades by the TV industry because of it's superior quality picture and sound.

Let's re-rail this topic, and take our focus OFF the failed formats (boy, I wish I hadn't put that in - some people are SO easily distracted!).

I'll be the first in line to put salt in the Sony CEO's cup of tea.

Grenage
March 17th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Let's re-rail this topic, and take our focus OFF the failed formats (boy, I wish I hadn't put that in - some people are SO easily distracted!)

Oooh, Kittens.

On-topic; Yes, the corporate world is a horrible place. A lot of people here are idealists (I 'mostly' am), and that's rarely compatible with the modern business world.

weasel fierce
March 17th, 2011, 04:57 PM
They aren't really worse than any other corporation of that size.

But that pretty much means they are despicable dirt weasels

youbuntu
March 17th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Oooh, Kittens.

On-topic; Yes, the corporate world is a horrible place. A lot of people here are idealists (I 'mostly' am), and that's rarely compatible with the modern business world.

A lot of companies have great ideals, and hold them up high, running their businesses by them. Look at Nintendo!

Bottom line? Sony are greedy, and slightly obsessive. Better it be to admit defeat, and take the "damage" on the chin, and then hire the guy to fix THEIR mess. Why draw it out the long way? Because they're morons. I've always said I hated Sony as a company (apart from their blank media, I will buy nothing Sony - I doubt they even make the blank media!) and I shall never buy a Sony device. Dirty people.

"I found a BIG hole in your fence, through which intruders may enter and steal your valuables... and now you're going to sue me, for helping you?..."

nothingspecial
March 17th, 2011, 05:01 PM
The "walkman" was the best invention - ever.

In a gadgety sort of way..........

sydbat
March 17th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Let's re-rail this topic, and take our focus OFF the failed formats (boy, I wish I hadn't put that in - some people are SO easily distracted!).

I'll be the first in line to put salt in the Sony CEO's cup of tea.Fine. Back on topic.

I'm not a huge fan of the mega-corporation either (and SONY is one), because they tend to abuse their power.

That said, if you, as an individual, want to hack into your hardware, whatever that hardware is, then have at 'er. However, if you begin sharing that information across the Internet, you will have a problem. Just because you personally own a bit of hardware, and can therefore do whatever you want with it, does not mean that you have the right to declare to the world how everyone else can do the same thing.

There are enforceable International laws and agreements that state the above. If you do not like it, contact your federal representative and ask them to consider changing those national and international laws and agreements. But do not expect any possible changes to mean that suddenly everything on the planet is free and "open source". That would be insane.

youbuntu
March 17th, 2011, 05:04 PM
The "walkman" was the best invention - ever.

In a gadgety sort of way..........

How can you say "ever"? "Ever" has not yet come to pass, but that's another story ^_^

nothingspecial
March 17th, 2011, 05:06 PM
How can you say "ever"? "Ever" has not yet come to pass, but that's another story ^_^

:-k

uRock
March 17th, 2011, 05:07 PM
I like Sony. The Walkman is man's gift to the Earth. I have had the cassette, the CD and now the MP3 versions of the Walkman and haven't been disappointed with any of them.

At least with my Sony MP3, I can copy music to and from the device using Nautilus, which I don't think can be done with iPods or any other proprietary MP3 player. I do not like having to run synchronizing software that will only allow you to copy to the device.

As for Sony trying to track down copyright infringers, I am all for it. Thieves belong behind bars.

sydbat
March 17th, 2011, 05:08 PM
How can you say "ever"? "Ever" has not yet come to pass, but that's another story ^_^Perhaps "in the history of ever" would be more correct...

llua+
March 17th, 2011, 05:09 PM
A lot of companies have great ideals, and hold them up high, running their businesses by them. Look at Nintendo!

yeah.... Nintendo (http://www.techgadgetsnews.com/nintendo-will-deactivate-your-3ds-if-illegal-games-are-played-on-it/).

youbuntu
March 17th, 2011, 05:10 PM
I like Sony. The Walkman is man's gift to the Earth. I have had the cassette, the CD and now the MP3 versions of the Walkman and haven't been disappointed with any of them.

At least with my Sony MP3, I can copy music to and from the device using Nautilus, which I don't think can be done with iPods or any other proprietary MP3 player. I do not like having to run synchronizing software that will only allow you to copy to the device.

As for Sony trying to track down copyright infringers, I am all for it. Thieves belong behind bars.

... speechless...

Stallman would say that you're sacrificing your personal freedom for convenience... and I would have to kinda agree, sorry!

In fact, I think RMS would bluntly ask you to "get to the point" ^_^

sydbat
March 17th, 2011, 05:12 PM
... speechless...

Stallman would say that you're sacrificing your personal freedom for convenience... and I would have to kinda agree, sorry!Stallman would also eat his toe jam in public...so...

youbuntu
March 17th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Stallman would also eat his toe jam in public...so...

His dubious personal habits cannot be used to cast aspersions as to his sincerity and integrity as a person. That was a lame observation, and hardly a new one! :P

I'm sure you scratch your *** or pick your nose when (you think) noone is looking (denying it has ever happened isn't the point btw) does that make your viewpoint less valid? lol!

Grenage
March 17th, 2011, 05:16 PM
... speechless...

Stallman would say that you're sacrificing your personal freedom for convenience... and I would have to kinda agree, sorry!

In fact, I think RMS would bluntly ask you to "get to the point" ^_^

Stallman is a tart.

sydbat
March 17th, 2011, 05:17 PM
His dubious personal habits cannot be used to cast aspersions as to his sincerity and integrity as a person. That was a lame observation, and hardly a new one! :PIt goes to his psychological state, and is therefore quite valid.

mips
March 17th, 2011, 05:18 PM
If anyone is to blame here it's the judge presiding over the case.

uRock
March 17th, 2011, 05:18 PM
... speechless...

Personal freedom to be a thief?[-(

youbuntu
March 17th, 2011, 05:19 PM
It goes to his psychological state, and is therefore quite valid.

I'm quite sure I could as easily discredit anything YOU say, based upon such ridiculous, shallow judgments. Good job I am not as shallow as that, eh? :)

uRock
March 17th, 2011, 05:23 PM
I'm quite sure I could as easily discredit anything YOU say, based upon such ridiculous, shallow judgments. Good job I am not as shallow as that, eh? :)

Since this thread has turned to a personal vendetta, I am ending it.

KiwiNZ
March 17th, 2011, 05:52 PM
I will add this in support of uRock's closure ...

From the Code of Conduct
"Attacks and derogatory terms of any kind are not welcome. This includes references to other operating systems and the companies that produce them."