PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] install a windows 98 game (Riven)

Firestarter0
March 17th, 2011, 12:39 PM
hey, new ish to linux, and i have wine, but couldnt get it to work with IMVU a while ago, and now i want to install this game Riven (there are 5 discs). but i cant work it out, how? i have seen wine has a 98 compatibility mode, but cant get an install to start.

kellemes
March 17th, 2011, 09:34 PM
Riven? Very nice game, I waisted a lot of time playing it :D

Have you looked here for tips?
WinHQ (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=140)

Firestarter0
March 18th, 2011, 12:08 AM
yeah, i last played it years ago, once completed it in two days with my dad when i was ill :P i was just wondering how to start the installer? i cant seem to do it

grahammechanical
March 18th, 2011, 12:17 AM
I do not know if this will help ...

I type in a terminal winefile. This loads a Windows Explorer type file manager. If you have a disc in the CD drive you should easily be able to browse to the CD and see all the files on the CD including the install.exe or setup.exe that will install the program.

You should be able to do the same with the configure wine entry on the wine menu. click Add application and you get a Windows Open File type dialog box from which you can browse to the CD Drive. I hope this is what you are looking for.

Regards.

Firestarter0
March 18th, 2011, 12:55 AM
I do not know if this will help ...

I type in a terminal winefile. This loads a Windows Explorer type file manager. If you have a disc in the CD drive you should easily be able to browse to the CD and see all the files on the CD including the install.exe or setup.exe that will install the program.

You should be able to do the same with the configure wine entry on the wine menu. click Add application and you get a Windows Open File type dialog box from which you can browse to the CD Drive. I hope this is what you are looking for.

Regards.
hi, thanks for the input, but up to now ive worked out that i have to set executable in .exe properties. i cannot do this for discs, external memory etc, therefore cannot find a way to execute the setup.

Firestarter0
March 18th, 2011, 12:59 AM
hi, thanks for the input, but up to now ive worked out that i have to set executable in .exe properties. i cannot do this for discs, external memory etc, therefore cannot find a way to execute the setup.

ok, tried copying the exe to desktop so i can change, but now it says setup does not support windows 3.1...? i tried wine set to 98 and 2000.