PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] /home folder after installation

fburhas
March 17th, 2011, 10:50 AM
hi everyone..

i had to format my ubuntu 10.10. i had swap, root partition and /home partition. before formatting i had my /home partition inside /home directory but after installation i resized swap and formatted root partition and when its completed i found that ubuntu cant see my /home folder as an inside partition and instead i have another filesystem. i mean its as if there was no /home partition in root and that i have two separate filesystems which i dont like.

can i make ubuntu see my backup files as /home?

thanks in advance

kc1di
March 17th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Hi fburhas,

I'm not exactly sure what you did by what you've said. but I suspect this. by Default Ubuntu installs all files in one large partition. that is / Partition then under that there is a /home folder. when your repartitioned your drive you most like wipe it all clean or you told ubuntu to install along side and now you have two ubuntu partitions. I thinks it's always a good Idea to manually partition the drive and have separate / and /home partitions. that way you can protect your /home data.

fburhas
March 17th, 2011, 11:17 AM
thanks but i found out what was wrong.. i forgot to mount my backup files as /home.. so i did it again to correct and it works