PDA

View Full Version : More Integers!

Bakerconspiracy
March 17th, 2011, 10:41 AM
So, I'm a fourth year math major, and I've had this question for a long time now... but I would finally like to know the optimal answer. So with double / long int I get a certain amount of mem space for storage of integers. How to I get more. Do I have to write a subroutine for a predefined data structure to store more digits in memory beyond what is allocated for the basic data structures? How do I got about computing something like the 200th Fibonacci number?

Thanks, mucho.

leg
March 17th, 2011, 11:22 AM
With Java there is a BigDecimal class and some others for this purpose. Other languages will have there alternatives or yes you can write own code to manage the storage for large numbers.

matthew.ball
March 17th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Mmm, Haskell and it's arbitrary precision... Literally took half a second to compute...

fibonacciNumber 200 -> 280571172992510140037611932413038677189525

It gets a bit trickier with prime numbers though...

*Note: I have no idea if that's really the 200th Fibonacci number, but the Haskell definition I used appears to be correct.

Bakerconspiracy
March 17th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Haha Haskel sounds a lot like mathematica. I'm trying to depart from languages that all already been made for me like that. Java has a bit too much overhead for my preference. But I have heard about that big decimal lib before, and now I finally will take a look at it for ideas. Thanks a bunch

Bakerconspiracy
March 17th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Although Haskell seems great for a quick numeric analysis problem :)

matthew.ball
March 17th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Haskell's a pretty amazing language if you're coming from a background in mathematics.

forrestcupp
March 17th, 2011, 04:12 PM
In the old 8-bit days, we pretty much had to do what you're talking about manually. An 8-bit positive integer could only have a value of up to 65,536 values. So we would have however many bytes we needed to represent the different blocks of bits in a larger number.

It's a royal pain in the backside, and I'm glad we don't usually have to mess with that anymore.