PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Tablet

cheesekiller
March 17th, 2011, 08:32 AM
http://www.ekoore.com/web/en/home-2.html

Holy crap!

Can someone in the US even buy one of these? if not then why don't we have a very nicely polished Ubuntu tablet here? Why can't I even find these on ebay? Is this someones elaborate idea of a joke or is this real? I watched that video and it seems like the folks at ekoore have fixed the "no good on-screen keyboard issue" or maybe it was already fixed?(I wouldn't know because I don't use an on-screen keyboard)..... It doesn't matter who fixed it cause that tablet is sexy as hell. Does anyone here own one? Am I just the worst Google searcher ever and am the last to find this?

THERES FREAKING GPS!

Rasa1111
March 17th, 2011, 09:16 AM
wow niice! :D <3

Zlatan
March 17th, 2011, 09:39 AM

Holy crap!

Can someone in the US even buy one of these? if not then why don't we have a very nicely polished Ubuntu tablet here? Why can't I even find these on ebay? Is this someones elaborate idea of a joke or is this real? I watched that video and it seems like the folks at ekoore have fixed the "no good on-screen keyboard issue" or maybe it was already fixed?(I wouldn't know because I don't use an on-screen keyboard)..... It doesn't matter who fixed it cause that tablet is sexy as hell. Does anyone here own one? Am I just the worst Google searcher ever and am the last to find this?

THERES FREAKING GPS!

yeah, not everything is sold on ebay:) try to get system76 there:p

t0p
March 17th, 2011, 12:07 PM
It'd be cool to have a tablet with an interface that I'm already used to. A friend of mine has an Android tablet, which she's lent to me a few times - but, probably because I don't have a smart phone, the Android GUI baffles the heck out of me and I find it very hard to use. Perhaps if she gave it to me for a week or so I'd figure it out. As it is, I try to use the thing for a while, then frustration kicks in and I rush back to my familiar Ubuntu machines.

Also, I'm not a fan of touch-screen "keyboards". My friend's tablet has a 7" screen, as does my Lubuntu-running EeePC. So my netbook is pretty much as portable as her tablet, with the advantage of a real (albeit small) keyboard. When my EeePC dies (which will probably happen soonish - I've had the thing for ages now) I'm going to replace it with either a tablet or another netbook. As things stand now I'll probably go for a netbook - but a tablet with Ubuntu might tempt me.

Johnsie
March 17th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Ubuntu isn't really designed for a tablet. Alot of things like window borders will be hard to click.

PuddingKnife
March 17th, 2011, 02:27 PM
It looks thick as hell.

I dont think Ubuntu is tablet ready.

Tristam Green
March 17th, 2011, 02:58 PM
It looks thick as hell.

It does look very very *very* thick. Though, if it's sturdy enough (doubt it) at least I'd not be worried I'd break it.

cheesekiller
March 17th, 2011, 04:27 PM
well apparently they have been selling them for a few years now and apparently the Ubuntu ones are more popular then the windows seven ones so I wouldn't make a judgement based on (i don't think) just yet cause they only sell 3 devices and 2 of them are Ubuntu powered. Just saying it must be decent if they are running a business off of it. If you read their statement on their site about future stuff they talk (in broken Google translated English) about becoming more open source. From what I've been able to find out though more customers buy the Ubuntu rather then the Windows. The keyboard looks custom (or does net-book edition just have a cool "not in a window" type of keyboard?)

I totally emailed them asking if we Americans are able to purchase them.

Also with every release unity seems to be becoming more "Tablet_Ready" and having been someone who has used various tablets for work in the past let me just say windows isn't as tablet friendly as it appears. Most of my previous tablets have always ended up ******* me off.

I'm hopeful about an Ubuntu tablet though.

Jesus_Valdez
March 17th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Gnome Shell would be great in Tablet.
I can almost feel it.

steveneddy
March 18th, 2011, 02:42 AM
Ubuntu is developing the software to use touch screen hardware in a future release.

And according to this post there is very little extra soft needed if any at all to get a touch screen working in Ubuntu.

http://tnoergaard.wordpress.com/2009/05/09/ubuntu-touch-screen-setup-and-calibration/

I have seen touch screen working in Ubuntu as far back as 7.04.

The OS simply sees the screen as a giant touch pad basically.

** Here is a Xoom with Ubuntu **

http://trsohmers.com/2011/03/06/how-to-run-ubuntu-on-the-motorola-xoom/

Rasa1111
March 18th, 2011, 03:08 AM
Heres a video of this tablet running 10.10.. <3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE0DDAI2TfI

wow, its awesome!
guess i'd have to get used to Unity.. lol

man, looks like it works great!

Zlatan
March 18th, 2011, 09:32 PM
yeah, seen something like that before... (http://chooseubuntu.blogspot.com/2010/11/choose-ubuntu-for-unity.html)

cheesekiller
March 19th, 2011, 01:50 AM
They emailed me back today saying that they will ship to America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been watching youtube videos on the multi-touch drake and it seems to just be amazing! Alas if only we had some Ubuntu user to test one out and tell us just how awesome it is......... CAUSE IT LOOKS AWESOME! GPS, BT, 3G, and it all appears to work well right out of the box! They talk about in-car navigation on the website!!!!!

youbuntu
March 19th, 2011, 02:17 AM
...I totally emailed them asking if we Americans are able to purchase them.

As opposed to what - partially emailing them? :lol:

Rasa1111
March 19th, 2011, 02:49 AM
As opposed to what - partially emailing them? :lol:

yeah, if you don't know about partial emailing, you need to crawl from your cave and get with the 'program'. :rolleyes:

jerenept
March 19th, 2011, 05:52 AM
f***in Intel Atom >.< ARM ftw.

When will a truly good Ubuntu tablet come along??

barbedsaber
March 19th, 2011, 07:25 AM
It looks thick as hell.

it has a physical HDD. If they put some sort of flash memory it would be MUCH thinner and lighter.

f***in Intel Atom >.< ARM ftw.

When will a truly good Ubuntu tablet come along??

this was my first thought as well. And something like I'm seeing in newer mobile phones (the nokia n8 is the first that comes to mind) where they have a proper graphics processor, that's ONLY for decoding HD video. realistically, you don't need a whole lot of Crystal clear, 3D gaming on a device like this. It's not built for that, but 720p video is a must.

Santaji
March 19th, 2011, 07:26 AM
A good tablet needs a UI that was designed from the scratch for use on small touch screen devices. What if Apple sold the iPad with OS X instead of iOS? It would suck.
Canonical really really needs to make a Ubuntu tablet edition with a more touch optimized UI. Devices like the iPad are future of personal computing, And Canonical should take them seriously.

Gnome Shell would be great in Tablet.
I can almost feel it.
From the screenshots and videos i've seen, Gnome Shell does indeed looks like it was designed with touch screens/tablets in mind, With a few modifications it i think it would be a decent user experience on a tablet.

Copper Bezel
March 19th, 2011, 08:09 AM
If they put some sort of flash memory it would be MUCH thinner and lighter.

God, I think my netbook's thinner and lighter than that thing. = P At least it's not AI's Touchbook, which you can use in place of a phone book to help a small person drive a large car.

A good tablet needs a UI that was designed from the scratch for use on small touch screen devices. What if Apple sold the iPad with OS X instead of iOS? It would suck.

Well, at the moment, Ubuntu and Android are the OSX and iOS of Linux. Why Canonical would want to put on the pretense of competing with Google is beyond me. Android's scaling up in little ways, too, getting more desktoppy and even occasionally using Gnome parts. Believe me, I'd rather it be Ubuntu, but based on exactly the principle you're referring to, there's no material benefit to us consumer-side for Canonical to enter into that market, is there?

barbedsaber
March 19th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Android also has apps already written that are designed for a mobile device.

it is built from the ground up to work on a mobile device with a touch screen.

Rachel_Eliason
March 19th, 2011, 11:13 AM
The Android approach of building an OS from the ground up for a mobile device has some limitations. The biggest problem I have with my android pad is that the developers see it as a phone OS. So everything is designed with that in mind. the text editors tend to be a little too "lite" for my taste. they work well for emails and memos, but I want/need to be editing book length manuscripts. (I am a writer.) I read blogs periodically that declare "I own an ipad/android tablet so why do I still need a laptop?" It boggles my mind. There are just so many things I can't do with my Android tablet, I could never give up my netbook.
If I could find a decent Ubuntu tablet on the other hand, I would have all of the programs I use regularly, a full open office suite, gedit, etc. Then the tablet could be a real full service computer not just a toy.

YfoMp5QBh2
March 19th, 2011, 02:55 PM
I've seen Netbook edition being run on a O2 Joggler in the UK. There's a few up for grabs on Ebay. They work quite well as tablets!

forrestcupp
March 19th, 2011, 03:58 PM
the text editors tend to be a little too "lite" for my taste. they work well for emails and memos, but I want/need to be editing book length manuscripts. (I am a writer.)

Why in the world would you ever want to edit a book length manuscript with an on screen keyboard? There's no reason to sacrifice efficiency just because it's the popular thing when there are better tools available. And if you're just going to carry around a tablet and USB keyboard, you might as well have a laptop or netbook.

This is one example of why laptops with real keyboards will never become obsolete. Tablets have their purposes, but they can't replace every tool.

1roxtar
March 19th, 2011, 04:35 PM
This is the kind of tablet that I WANT!!!! Ubuntu, in my opinion, is already a great distro for desktops, laptops and netbooks. I believe that it will rock on tablets, as well. With Unity, Utouch development and Qt work planned for 11.10, we are not too far away from seeing Ubuntu Tablets ready for purchase (which I would stand in line for). Having a consistent interface will make it easier for people to jump from their laptops to their tablets easily.

Copper Bezel
March 19th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Having a consistent interface will make it easier for people to jump from their laptops to their tablets easily.

A consistent interface also makes it possible for people to jump from their phones to their tablets easily. I just don't see this argument. Ubuntu is not a widely-used OS and any tablet would be a first Ubuntu device for most users.

And if you're just going to carry around a tablet and USB keyboard, you might as well have a laptop or netbook.

It's not all that binary (http://cebit2011.asus.com/photos/eee/eee-pad-slider/), though.

kerry_s
March 19th, 2011, 09:32 PM
I would love a cheap ubuntu tablet. just picked up a cheap android 2.1 tablet(coby mid7015) which I'm using right now to read the forums & respond. cost me $100 bucks with 8gb microsd card. its not bad at all, be better if it was ubuntu, but for what i paid I'm happy.

forrestcupp
March 19th, 2011, 10:30 PM
It's not all that binary (http://cebit2011.asus.com/photos/eee/eee-pad-slider/), though.

The link didn't work. What was it?

kerry_s
March 19th, 2011, 10:50 PM
Worked for me, it was a link to eee pad slider

Copper Bezel
March 20th, 2011, 01:15 AM
Yeah, I don't know why the link didn't work - it works for me. Anyway, yeah, it's the EeePad Slider, which is an Android tablet (thin, iPad-like, one of the good ones) with a slide-out physical keyboard. Point is, it's a tablet with a physical keyboard and no clunky adapter for it, thinner than a netbook, etc., so Rachel's point would be well taken in that gray area between the two form factors.

jerenept
March 20th, 2011, 01:18 AM
Yeah, I don't know why the link didn't work - it works for me. Anyway, yeah, it's the EeePad Slider, which is an Android tablet (thin, iPad-like, one of the good ones) with a slide-out physical keyboard. Point is, it's a tablet with a physical keyboard and no clunky adapter for it, thinner than a netbook, etc., so Rachel's point would be well taken in that gray area between the two form factors.

<3 where can I buy one?

Rasa1111
March 20th, 2011, 01:25 AM
<3 where can I buy one?

should be available by may 2011.

Sweeet device!

forrestcupp
March 20th, 2011, 03:20 AM

I just realized that I'm on a hospital wifi and they're blocking about every page that has to do with that for some reason. I did manage to find a picture of it, though and it looks pretty awesome. Is it touch screen, too?

Paddy Landau
March 20th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Lovely device, but have you seen the price? €617.40 with 2Gb RAM and GPS (roughly $875 or £539). Even costlier than the iPad.

Also, Ubuntu so far lacks access to Android apps, which I think would be a great addition.

Why in the world would you ever want to edit a book length manuscript with an on screen keyboard?
This is a fully-fledged computer, not just an iPad, so it's easy enough to add a USB mouse and keyboard when you're sitting at a desk. But you would have to prop it up to make it easier to see the screen. Or you could add a monitor, too!

cheesekiller
March 21st, 2011, 02:26 AM
The case for it has a prop built into it (it works like a picture frame). It is expensive but it also is a full fledged computer (that comes running Ubuntu and it appears to be doing it quite well!). I would wait for 11.04 before buying though.

Copper Bezel
March 21st, 2011, 06:38 AM
I just realized that I'm on a hospital wifi and they're blocking about every page that has to do with that for some reason.

Weird. = /

I did manage to find a picture of it, though and it looks pretty awesome. Is it touch screen, too?

Yeah, naturally, it's multi-touch. The drawback is that there's no trackpad, so even unfolded, you have to use the touchscreen, but it looks like it should be relatively easy to jump between the two without the usual inch or so of indicators and Function keys between typing space and screen that you get on a netbook.

cheesekiller
March 22nd, 2011, 05:37 PM

english version of the website. Its pretty awesome to see it working perfectly