PDA

View Full Version : Do you stick with LTS versions?

weasel fierce
March 17th, 2011, 06:54 AM
From the upgrade thread, it got me wondering:

How many of you tend to stick with LTS releases, and how many move along to each release?

Has this changed for you in recent years?

amauk
March 17th, 2011, 06:59 AM
Depends which system

I chose other, as I run the pre-releases on my main desktop
but I keep my server on LTS's

weasel fierce
March 17th, 2011, 07:00 AM
ah yeah, if you use multiple systems, pick "other" if you have different approaches for each. Using LTS on a server makes total sense of course :)

Khakilang
March 17th, 2011, 08:38 AM
I try to but than I sold my hard disk and install 10.10 on another hard disk. But if everything fail I will go back to LTS.

NightwishFan
March 17th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Anything I need to have working I always use the LTS on. The only exceptions are if I know I need specific newer hardware/software. My personal laptop generally runs the latest stable for the above reasons. My family that I administer run the LTS.

As such I voted stick to lts though I myself am rarely on it, simply because that is what I recommend.

Ibidem
March 17th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Prefer LTS--I ran Dapper till my old system died in may 09, and started using Lucid at alpha2. That's my main system, no reinstalls.

Random_Dude
March 17th, 2011, 10:27 AM
I'll start to stick with LTS in 11.04.

Cheers :cool:

markp1989
March 17th, 2011, 10:33 AM
lts on my home server, latest version on all my other machines

spook1980
March 17th, 2011, 10:36 AM
lts on my server my desktops it all depends on the release i stuck with 8.04 until 10.04 came out on my desktops as 8.10, 9.04 & 9.10 were all crap, but yeah normally i upgrade to the newest

t0p
March 17th, 2011, 10:59 AM
I use LTS on my desktop computer. On my lil netbook I use various Ubuntu or Ubuntu-based OSes. Right now my netbook runs Lubuntu; in the past it's used Xubuntu, regular Gnome-based Ubuntu, netbook remixes... my fave right now is Lubuntu. But I keep LTS on my home machine so I have a reliable box in any case.

kc1di
March 17th, 2011, 11:07 AM
I Tend to stay with LTS on all my work hardware. But do try each new release on my test machine. LTS has been a good solid performer for me.
;)

Dragonbite
March 17th, 2011, 11:35 AM
I prefer the LTS releases on my family desktop and server in part because the family (or at least one member) does not like things changing much and wants consistency every time they log in.

My laptop usually is upgraded each time, in part to see if there are any new features that compel me to break the LTS cycle on the desktop. I did it once before in order to get my webcam working, but am trying to stay with LTS if possible now.

Unfortunately my laptop has the Intel grapics which causes problems so each Ubuntu upgrade is a very cautious upgrade. The only distro that has given me desktop effects back and such is Fedora. Despite being around 10.04 last year when the issue was discovered, Ubuntu and openSUSE are only to the point of not-locking up when booting up.

rent0n
March 17th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Yes please.