PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] xmodmap problem

Zucriy Amsuna
March 17th, 2011, 05:13 AM
I have a funky keyboard on this laptop; the right shift key is annoyingly small... The Menu key is taking up its space. So I first used xmodmap to make the useless Alt Gr key to Menu:

xmodmap -e "keycode 108=Menu"Success. And then when I try to change the Menu key to its neighbour:

xmodmap -e "keycode 135=Shift_R"It doesn't work. According to the xev command, the key is mapped to Shift_R. but it doesn't act like it. I tried mapping it to other keyboard actions, and they work; both Shifts don't seem to work, though. The only difference between them in xev's display, besides their individual keycodes, is the following line for the problem key (Menu):

XKeysymToKeycode returns keycode: 6262 is the keycode for Shift_R. Why does it do this? Does it matter? And how can I make it work?

(And, as extra info, the OS is Linux Mint with a Bash terminal.)

Krytarik
March 17th, 2011, 06:58 AM
XKeysymToKeycode returns keycode: 6262 is the keycode for Shift_R. Why does it do this? Does it matter?
First, this of course states "keycode 62", because the key is mapped to those keycode. So, that is correct, and expected.

After oscilliating between fiddling around and studying the manual I eventually managed it and I'm quite happy to be able to present a solution! Because of the special feature of "Shift_R" to be a modifier, you have to run a number of commands to add "Menu" to the modifier.

When the "Menu" key is mapped normally, those commands will be sufficient:

xmodmap -e "remove Shift = Shift_R"
xmodmap -e "keysym Menu = Shift_R"
xmodmap -e "add Shift = Shift_R"
That was fun! :)

Greatings.

Zucriy Amsuna
March 19th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Thank you. ^_^ I'm glad it was fun.