PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Grub has changed, Ubuntu 9 (not the version)

LMHmedchem
March 16th, 2011, 06:56 PM
I recently pulled out a linux box to do some porting work. The box booted and grub showed that Scientific Linux 5.2 was the available operating system. I was pretty sure that the box was multi boot, but I went into SL and did some work. This morning, when I powered up, I got a different grub menu, and Ubuntu 9 was the only option, no SL anywhere to be found, and no I wasn't drinking last night.

The SL partition is visible in Ubuntu, so whats up with the grub Coup d'état thing?

I know there are many ways to set up grub.conf for multi boot. What is the best way at the moment to configure things so that I can boot into either OS?

Second question, I have a data drive on the box, which I could access from SL with

mount /dev/sda1 /media/Data/

when I try that on Ubuntu, I get a message that I need to include the fs type. I tried

mount -t ext2 /dev/sda1 /media/Data/

and also ext3, but neither works. How do I find what the file system is on the drive and how do I access it?

LMHmedchem

wilee-nilee
March 16th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Try running the bootscript in my signature it should give you more info. Post it if you need help; in code tags. Code tags are generated by clicking on the (#) in the reply window, paste the text between.

If the script doesn't work we will need to know the actual installs, grub type, and just more information altogether.

LMHmedchem
March 16th, 2011, 10:23 PM
Try running the bootscript in my signature it should give you more info. Post it if you need help; in code tags. Code tags are generated by clicking on the (#) in the reply window, paste the text between.

If the script doesn't work we will need to know the actual installs, grub type, and just more information altogether.Thanks, I will do that and post the results. It has been a busy day and I didn't get back to this as soon as I thought I would.

Can you just use [code, etc, to post code?

LMHmedchem

wilee-nilee
March 17th, 2011, 12:10 AM
Thanks, I will do that and post the results. It has been a busy day and I didn't get back to this as soon as I thought I would.

Can you just use [code, etc, to post code?

LMHmedchem

If you take a look in my signature there is also a explanation for manual code wrapping.