PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question: Why have your own web/mail server?

jhsu802701
March 16th, 2011, 06:17 PM
I realize this is a dumb question, but what are the reasons for having your own web server and mail server instead of using a host like Drylinehosting, Fatcow, etc.? I understand the reasons for using a host: it won't stop running when you are in a power outage or when you disconnect your equipment (which I do for thunderstorms), saving yourself the day-to-day work on keeping the servers running, etc.

I suspect the reason for having your own web server and mail server boils down to one of control. Exactly what are the kinds of things you get to control if you run your own servers rather than contract the job out to the web/email host providers?

babybean
March 16th, 2011, 07:41 PM
One reason can be cost. If you have a decent internet connection and a computer, there is not a lot of point in paying someone else to use there internet connection and computer. Other factors can include security. If a server is running in your basement you do not have to worry about a dodgy employee.

Of course there are countless other reasons. More of a one off payment... easier (possibly) to upgrade... faster access if you are using it for more than just a web/mail server (media centre etc)

Annnnddddd it is fun :oops:

Dragonbite
March 16th, 2011, 08:29 PM
My use for a web server is for putting together a website and not having to worry about security, broken links, prying eyes as much while it is in process.

This is in part because I am just learning Drupal and PHP while at work I am using an ASP.NET Intranet where I also don't have to worry about external hackers and excessive loads.