PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Ultimate edition

gdonwallace
March 16th, 2011, 05:28 PM
I decided to download and burn the live DVD for Ultimate Edition 2.9. Wanted to see if it would work on my laptop and just check it out.

Everything went fine, messed around with it for a couple hours, then rebooted so that I could get back to Ubuntu. That's where the problem is. The boot process gets as far as "Checking battery state" and hangs. I let it sit thinking that there was something Ubuntu was doing in the background, not the case.

Any thoughts or ideas?

gdonwallace
March 16th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Have some additional information.

I see the following on the screen as the laptop is booting up:

fsck from util=linix-ng 2.17.2
/dev/sda6 clean
Stopping Gnome Display Manager
Starting kernel oops catching service
speech-dispatcher disabled
Starting the Winbind daemon
starting bluetooth
Pulseaudo configured for per-user session
Enabling additional executable binarmy formats
checking battery state

All these have the customary [OK] by them. But once it gets to that last option, the laptop hangs and refuses to boot. I have tried booting with different kernels from the grub menu, no effect. I can boot into recovery mode though. Tried to start x there, and it would not start up. Hope this sheds some more light on the situation

gdonwallace
March 16th, 2011, 11:10 PM
update:

I was able to boot up with the Ubuntu 10.10 live CD. I can see both the partitions on my laptop, the Ubuntu and Windows.

I was able to get the data I needed off the Ubuntu partition and copy to another machine. So I am thinking that there is nothing wrong with the partition manager, or the way the hard drive is reporting the partitions. Still a little stumped as to why it will not boot up though. Very odd.