PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Stuck installing Ubuntu

Nomad_GSF
March 16th, 2011, 03:03 PM
I recently got a virus on my Windows XP that keeps me from booting up. I'd had a passing interest in Linux (Ubuntu specifically) and finally took the plunge. I downloaded 10.10 last night and created a LiveCD. After about 30 minutes using it, I've decided that I love it.

My problem is installing it. I'm trying to install it on an old IBM machine, on my E:\ drive (the only one with a free partition, so I don't have to delete any of my files) and I am stuck on installation. Nothing froze, the installer is still sitting there, as I write this. I'm on the last page; filling out login information, and for whatever reason, the 'Forward' button is greyed out. The status above the loading bar says 'Ready when you are' and has been for about, 20 minutes.

I tried searching around a bit to see if anyone else has this problem, and I can't find anything about it....So, um...help?

leclerc65
March 16th, 2011, 03:23 PM
F12 ?

Nomad_GSF
March 16th, 2011, 03:27 PM
F12 ?

Could you maybe elaborate farther than that?

leclerc65
March 16th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Hit command key F12.

Nomad_GSF
March 16th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Hit command key F12.

And then what?

I did before replying the first time, but nothing happened that I know of....

leclerc65
March 16th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Then I don't know, sorry.
That worked for me in a previous version of Ubuntu.

mörgæs
March 16th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Welcome to Ubuntu.

Your username must be in small letters.

Nomad_GSF
March 16th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Well, thanks for trying.

And, I just noticed this, after doing so.

There's some kind of drop-down with what looks like a minuaturized version of Terminal in it, and after pressing F12, this appeared:

"Mar 16 14:22:32 ubuntu pulseaudio[2989]: ratelimit.c: 1 events suppressed"

mörgæs
March 16th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Could you post a screen shot from where you are stuck, please?

Nomad_GSF
March 16th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Welcome to Ubuntu.

Your username must be in small letters.

Could you post a screen shot from where you are stuck, please?

/facepalm

I am a professional-grade idiot. What you said the first time didn't register. I thought you meant my Ubuntuforums username....I re-tried installing Ubuntu and noticed that when it used my real name, it made it lowercase, and I'd changed it, using uppercase, like in my UF username (I'm a grammar nazi)

Sorry for bothering you nice folks.