PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] 10.10 Freezes on Installation

Poppyann
March 16th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Hello,

I've tried installing using Wubi from windows, tried installing inside Kubuntu with the live CD, tried the live CD and live DVD and alternate CD options, but it just freezes, on the screen where you decide whether to install updates, whether you're plugged in, connected to the internet etc.

When I install it using the Wubi installer, it DOES install, then I reboot. However, it then just freezes on the loading screen.

I've had Ubuntu on my system before, and Linux Mint KDE, so I don't think my hardware is a problem.

Please try and explain in "simplistic" linux terms, as I am not a pro linux user.

Thanks in advance :D

Bucky Ball
March 16th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Do you have the same issues with 10.04 LTS? More stable and long term support release. ;)

Poppyann
March 16th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Do you have the same issues with 10.04 LTS? More stable and long term support release. ;)

I haven't tried with LTS. I'll give it a go now, if THAT doesn't work I'll just go back to Ubuntu 10.10.

How different is 10.04 that 10.10?

Thanks

Bucky Ball
March 16th, 2011, 02:53 PM
It's more stable and has longer support! ;)

Seriously, there is not much difference. A few apps in 10.10 are newer versions and there are a couple of other differences but negligible. Some people must have the latest, of course, but that is not always the greatest.

10.04 LTS is a stable, long term support release; 10.10 is a rolling release therefore prone to unexpected glitches and hiccups (especially with updates and particularly the newer kernel updates) as things get sorted for eventually the next LTS (2012).

I would avoid the Wubi install, especially with 10.10. They can be problematic. Torrent the ISO if you can, burn a disk or put on USB dongle and install to free space on the hard drive for best results.

Poppyann
March 16th, 2011, 02:54 PM
It's more stable and has longer support! ;)

Seriously, there is not much difference. A few apps in 10.10 are newer versions and there are a couple of other differences but negligible. Some people must have the latest, of course, but that is not always the greatest.

10.04 LTS is a stable, long term support release; 10.10 is a rolling release therefore prone to unexpected glitches and hiccups (especially with updates and particularly the newer kernel updates) as things get sorted for eventually the next LTS (2012).

Alright, thank you for your help. I am going to try and see if this version will install, however are there still torrent downloads for it? I can only see a direct download link on the Kubuntu website

Bucky Ball
March 16th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Just edited my last post before I read yours regarding torrents. Please read.

Yes, there are. Go to the main download page and then 'Alternate Downloads' or something like that from memory, then 'Bit Torrent' and you will find all the torrent files there.

* Here it is:

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/alternative-download#bt

Or for Kubuntu:

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/download

Bit torrent links right there.

Poppyann
March 16th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Just edited my last post before I read yours regarding torrents. Please read.

Yes, there are. Go to the main download page and then 'Alternate Downloads' or something like that from memory, then 'Bit Torrent' and you will find all the torrent files there.

* Here it is:

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/alternative-download#bt

Or for Kubuntu:

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/download

Bit torrent links right there.

Thanks for the links! With the Kubuntu one, I don't see an 10.04 torrent download though, I've looked around the site for it but I cant seem to find it :confused:
It's probably just me being stupid :oops:

EDIT: I'm going to use the direct download, seems to be downloading reasonably fast. I have a Ubuntu 10.10 .iso ready incase this doesn't install!

Bucky Ball
March 16th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Yea, good question! I just screwed around for five minutes there but refuses to give me a 10.04 LTS torrent. Hmm.

You could always install Ubuntu 10.04 LTS then just add Kubuntu-desktop from Synaptics Package Manager. It's basically that anyhow. Then you can just use the KDE desktop environment as your default when you boot the machine. Don't worry if that sounds complicated. It's not.

Desktop environments = Ubuntu uses Gnome; Xubuntu uses Xfce (thus X-ubuntu); Kubuntu uses KDE (thus K-ubuntu). All versions based on the standard Ubuntu kernel, just different environments ... which means ... You can install the DEs separately.

I have Ubuntu installed but prefer the Xfce DE so use that as my default. Simple. Kubuntu-desktop will also install all Kubuntu packages alongside the standard Ubuntu ones. ;)

Hope that helps.

Poppyann
March 16th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Yea, good question! I just screwed around for five minutes there but refuses to give me a 10.04 LTS torrent. Hmm.

You could always install Ubuntu 10.04 LTS then just add Kubuntu-desktop from Synaptics Package Manager. It's basically that anyhow. Then you can just use the KDE desktop environment as your default when you boot the machine. Don't worry if that sounds complicated. It's not.

Desktop environments = Ubuntu uses Gnome; Xubuntu uses Xfce (thus X-ubuntu); Kubuntu uses KDE (thus K-ubuntu). All versions based on the standard Ubuntu kernel, just different environments ... which means ... You can install the DEs separately.

I have Ubuntu installed but prefer the Xfce DE so use that as my default. Simple. Kubuntu-desktop will also install all Kubuntu packages alongside the standard Ubuntu ones. ;)

Hope that helps.

So I assume there is a kubuntu-desktop package in the package manager on Ubuntu 10.10 then? That's my Ubuntu iso that I have right now, ready to burn xD

That's really great help, thanks! :popcorn:

Bucky Ball
March 16th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Well, it's not actually in there but when you are installed and online, you will find it in the repositories in the package manager, yes. ;)

And my pleasure ...