PDA

View Full Version : Waugh erupts over AU Ubuntu proposal

newbie2
May 5th, 2006, 03:30 PM
A group interested in promoting the increasingly popular Ubuntu down under has published a public letter pushing the need for a local non-profit organisation.

It would only be once this structure was in place, the group argued this week on a public e-mail mailing list, that the goal of promoting Ubuntu to the wider Australian community could be met.

However Jeff Waugh quickly disagreed. The developer is a long-time member of the international open source community and currently works in a business and development capacity for Ubuntu backer Canonical.

"I admire your energy and ambition, but I can't quite see where this fits in," he wrote to the mailing list.
http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Waugh_erupts_over_AU_Ubuntu_proposal/0,2000061733,39255446,00.htm

kaffeine
May 5th, 2006, 03:50 PM
whoa...for a moment there i was thinking of steve waugh...and while i'm at it, is the aussie ubuntu distro going to be called AUbuntu? :)

ShanghaiTeej
May 6th, 2006, 03:48 AM
What a horribly written article. It paints Jeff Waugh in a completely negative light when all he is trying to do is give his opinion on the proposal. That's Jeff Waugh's opinion and he's been with linux groups for a while. Hell, why would he turn down Ubuntu groups, when they are trying to promote the software he is involved with? And he didn't "erupt", he was extremely cordial with his critique. This is almost yellow journalism.