PDA

View Full Version : Stubborn Windows Fanboy Best friend

Gargintua
March 16th, 2011, 11:43 AM
So i introduced my best friend to ubuntu years ago and he didnt have a pleasnt expierance. that one expierance tainted his interest with linux.

Now hes being a stubborn windows fanboy hating on macs for no reason. he dosent hate or love linux, though.

Now for some reason its akward to talk about linux and to talk about his crappy expierences windows. he gets defensive.

I would let this slip if it was anyone else but its my best friend and linux is part of who i am.

I understand it may take a while to turn him off annoying microsoft fanboy mode.

Any suggestions?

Legeril
March 16th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Give him a virus :lolflag:

Grenage
March 16th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Any suggestions?

Yes; leave him alone. Your way is not the right way, it's just your way. I like motorbikes, but I don't demand that my friends ride them. I also don't insist that colleagues experience the joys of whatever DVD player I like.

HermanAB
March 16th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Just stop maintaining his Windows box.

I just say: "Sorry, I haven't used Windows in more than ten years so I don't know how to fix it anymore."

Kirboosy
March 16th, 2011, 12:04 PM
If you keep bashing Windows or talking about how awesome Linux is it will probably just make him not want to use it.

I know serveral Mac super fanboys that rant and rave about how awesome Macintosh is and to be honest, because of their stupidity, I dislike Mac with a passion. (There are a few other reasons too...Restrictive, Expensive, etc...)

ChipOManiac
March 16th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Yes; leave him alone. Your way is not the right way, it's just your way. I like motorbikes, but I don't demand that my friends ride them. I also don't insist that colleagues experience the joys of whatever DVD player I like.

I agree, just let him do what he's comfortable with, it's his choice, MAKING him like it is not exactly going to mean he WILL like it.

Spice Weasel
March 16th, 2011, 12:10 PM
This is one of the biggest problems with the free software community.

:popcorn:

gnomeuser
March 16th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Linux isn't for everyone.

Gargintua
March 16th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Thanks for all the advice.

>>>>>>> Give him a virus

hahah nice one :)

>>>>>>>> Yes; leave him alone. Your way is not the right way, it's just your way.

I'll try but i dont think i can juz let him be. I see him alot.

>>>>>>> Just stop maintaining his Windows box.

this is good and it works.

>>>>>>>>>>If you keep bashing Windows or talking about how awesome Linux is it will probably just make him not want to use it.

this is also true, its hard to fight the urge though because my os never crashes and gets problems compared to his.

I was planning to try and move him to 11.04 when it comes out. Saying that its a great release and let him slowly make the switch

Ozor Mox
March 16th, 2011, 12:34 PM
this is also true, its hard to fight the urge though because my os never crashes and gets problems compared to his.

I was planning to try and move him to 11.04 when it comes out. Saying that its a great release and let him slowly make the switch

I don't understand, why do you need to move him to 11.04? Why can't you use what you like (Ubuntu) and he uses what he likes (Windows) and that be that?

It's simple really: If he's interested in Ubuntu, show him it and maybe provide some help if he has questions, otherwise leave his choice of operating system to him and get on with your lives :)

Tristam Green
March 16th, 2011, 12:35 PM
linux is part of who i am.

Your problem is obvious.

hahah nice one :)
no, not "nice one". how would you like it if he wrote a sudo rm -rf / shell script for you?

Spice Weasel
March 16th, 2011, 12:41 PM
My guess is they aren't going to be best friends for much longer.

Gargintua
March 16th, 2011, 12:41 PM
yeh its just that i have been ignoring this for so long and trying to go on with our lives and I just had to get this off my chest.

Thanks everyone for showing interest

Grenage
March 16th, 2011, 12:46 PM
yeh its just that i have been ignoring this for so long and trying to go on with our lives and I just had to get this off my chest.

You can always count on us to bitch and criticise.

Kirboosy
March 16th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Its not the end of the world if you guys don't agree on everything. My girlfriend and I are totally different. She loves Mac and thats what she uses. I use Linux...we still have an awesome relationship its just preferences on computers are different.

I will say though that I'm always constantly fixing her Mac...#-o

That's what a community is for ;)

3Miro
March 16th, 2011, 12:49 PM
My Mom has a fully setup Ubuntu 10.04, but she insists on using windows (dual-boot, she never uses Ubuntu). Both my sister and I have degrees in Computer Science and use Linux as out primary systems, but our Mom is just not taking this seriously and there is virtually nothing that we can do.

With your friend, I wouldn't push hard, I would just become passive-aggressive, but that depends on your personality I guess.

3Miro
March 16th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Its not the end of the world if you guys don't agree on everything. My girlfriend and I are totally different. She loves Mac and thats what she uses. I use Linux...we still have an awesome relationship its just preferences on computers are different.

You can stop providing support for your friends, which at least spares you some trouble, however you cannot really stop helping Mom and GF.

RiceMonster
March 16th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Maybe right now your friend is complaining about his "stubborn Linux fanboy" best friend.

Getting worked up about what OS your friend likes or doesn't like is a waste of your time.

pwnst*r
March 16th, 2011, 01:39 PM

This.

Breambutt
March 16th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Let me just say... public transportation all the way!

ctrlmd
March 16th, 2011, 02:49 PM
This too

How about i take what you love the most from you what would you feel about that ?
or talk bad about the things that you like ?

Breambutt
March 16th, 2011, 02:53 PM
This too

How about i take what you love the most from you what would you feel about that ?
or talk bad about the things that you like ?
You mean like "intellectually superior" atheists trying to convert religious people all the time?

Tristam Green
March 16th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Maybe right now your friend is complaining about his "stubborn Linux fanboy" best friend.

Getting worked up about what OS your friend likes or doesn't like is a waste of your time.

*checks sevenforums*

yep! He's there now! :p

sydbat
March 16th, 2011, 03:06 PM
I would just become passive-aggressivehttp://picardfacepalm.com/picard-facepalm-hotlink.jpg

ikt
March 16th, 2011, 03:48 PM
You mean like "intellectually superior" atheists trying to convert religious people all the time?

hrmm

to respond or to report...

Grenage
March 16th, 2011, 03:50 PM
hrmm

to respond or to report...

I can't imagine why you'd report it; nothing offensive was written.

Tristam Green
March 16th, 2011, 04:01 PM
I can't imagine why you'd report it; nothing offensive was written.

Indeed, but you and I both know where it's gonna go.

rg4w
March 16th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Let me just say... public transportation all the way!
A total thread hijack, but since I took the train to work today I kinda liked it. :)

Simian Man
March 16th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Any suggestions?

Stop being an annoying, stubborn Linux fanboy.

ST3ALTHPSYCH0
March 16th, 2011, 04:13 PM
I'm just gonna go ahead and say that you need to check your values if you're willing to let what OS is used on a computer effect your friendship(s). Computers are an entirely artificial commodity. Yes, they've become ingrained, but we don't need them to survive. If there was worldwide famine or nuclear disaster tomorrow, I'm fairly certain that you'd be more concerned with whether your loved ones are alive, healthy and have the essentials to continue in those 2 states.

Signed,
Your resident Win-bred

rg4w
March 16th, 2011, 04:28 PM
>>>>>>>> Yes; leave him alone. Your way is not the right way, it's just your way.

I'll try but i dont think i can juz let him be. I see him alot.
I have friends of different religions, different political views, and even different OS preferences. Even though we don't agree on everything, the things we do agree on are much stronger, the foundation of the friendship.

I think we all go through a phase with our own Linux adoption where we wonder why the whole world isn't using it, and maybe some day they will. But people use different OSes for all sorts of reasons, and that doesn't make them stupid or bad people any more than using Linux makes one a "communist" (though I always get a chuckle when that comes up in conversation <g>).

Use what you enjoy, let others do the same. If you feel Linux is more productive, don't talk about it, demonstrate it: just do excellent things with your OS of choice, and if it makes you truly more productive it'll be self-evident, and your friend will ask you how you're able to accomplish so much.

And if it's not self-evident, then maybe it's just a personal preference, like favorite color or ice cream, and you can still love your friends if you enjoy mint chip and they prefer Chunky Monkey (though Chunky Monkey totally rules, and anyone who doesn't prefer it is a commie! <g>).

sydbat
March 16th, 2011, 04:50 PM
(though Cherry Garcia totally rules, and anyone who doesn't prefer it is a commie! <g>).ftfy

KiwiNZ
March 16th, 2011, 05:07 PM
It's Just a Computer Operating System :rolleyes:

Maybe, just maybe if you look around you will find there is a little more to life, hint go outside, or even look at CNN.;)

Kirboosy
March 16th, 2011, 05:15 PM

Maybe, just maybe if you look around you will find there is a little more to life, hint go outside, or even look at CNN.;)

You must be crazy! Computers are the only thing that matter in this life!! haha just kidding

Whats sad is I know people who are that addicted to computers...:(

PS Don't watch CNN, watch Fox ;)

sydbat
March 16th, 2011, 05:19 PM
PS Don't watch CNN or Fox, watch Jon Stewart (http://www.thedailyshow.com/) ;)This is twice I've had to fix something in this thread...

3Miro
March 16th, 2011, 05:27 PM
How did we deteriorate from a simple advice about friends and OS, into OS attacks, through religious attacks, comments about natural disasters, personal "get a life" attacks all the way to political attacks.

If things were not that passive-aggressive, this thread should have been closed ten times already.

youbuntu
March 16th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Fanboyism and anti-fanboyism are stupid mindsets to get oneself into. If he hates Macs, so what? Does it affect your day to day life? They're not perfect - not by a long stretch (and you're talking to an ex Mac user of 5 years). Let him get on and "hate" macs. there are bigger and better things to worry about in life, seriously.

NEVER try to "convert" people to anything. If they ask, you can subtly and neutrally mention GNU/Linux and the myriad benefits (without going O.T.T. - a sure sign you're pushing!) and say that, IF you were asked, it is what you would recommend Ubuntu as the distro which is easiest to install and use for beginners. You don't EVER push people into thinking the way you do - even if your friend uses another distro, that's a great thing! The world doesn't spin around Ubuntu - GNU/Linux usage is a good start, whatever the branding.

:)

uRock
March 16th, 2011, 05:40 PM
If I had a friend like that, then I would do the same as I do when politics come up and end the conversation. There is nothing wrong with agreeing to disagree, then moving on to the next subject.

sffvba[e0rt
March 16th, 2011, 05:45 PM

I see the man beat me to it in person (before I could point you to my signature :p)

Giant Speck
March 16th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Or conversely, a "spiritually superior" religious person trying to convert atheists all the time.

This is twice I've had to fix something in this thread...
If you're getting your news from a comedian, then you're doing it wrong.

DangerOnTheRanger
March 16th, 2011, 05:55 PM
My mother already uses Linux! :D

fuduntu
March 16th, 2011, 06:51 PM

This.

Yes; leave him alone. Your way is not the right way, it's just your way.

.. and this.

inobe
March 16th, 2011, 06:58 PM

with any operating system, individual results may vary.

DeadSuperHero
March 16th, 2011, 07:46 PM
The correct answer is to install FreeDOS on his computer, and make things so bad for him that he begs for any GUI of any sort. Then, at his weakest moment, force him to use Unity.

Quadunit404
March 16th, 2011, 08:03 PM

This!!! THIS!!!

johntaylor1887
March 16th, 2011, 09:54 PM

No it's not! Linux is the very fiber of my being. It consumes every thought of every waking moment. Without it I could not live, let alone function. If linux was food, I would eat it. If linux was a woman, I would marry her. I am going to have plastic surgery to make my face look like tux's. I pray to the linux gods to let me into the Eternal Kernel when I die.

inobe
March 16th, 2011, 11:18 PM
one fella tells me he can't stand linux, i told him i don't have a problem with it, i also suggested that he give me his cell phone, and if he wouldn't mind, his router, tv, set top box, well since he can't stand linux :lol:

oh my, the look on his face!

Perpetual_Bliss
March 16th, 2011, 11:21 PM
So i introduced my best friend to ubuntu years ago and he didnt have a pleasnt expierance. that one expierance tainted his interest with linux.

Now hes being a stubborn windows fanboy hating on macs for no reason. he dosent hate or love linux, though.

Now for some reason its akward to talk about linux and to talk about his crappy expierences windows. he gets defensive.

I would let this slip if it was anyone else but its my best friend and linux is part of who i am.

I understand it may take a while to turn him off annoying microsoft fanboy mode.

Any suggestions?
If he's your best friend, you should be considerate of his feelings and not try to push your views on to him. You're two different people, respect that.

RiceMonster
March 16th, 2011, 11:24 PM
one fella tells me he can't stand linux, i told him i don't have a problem with it, i also suggested that he give me his cell phone, and if he wouldn't mind, his router, tv, set top box, well since he can't stand linux :lol:

oh my, the look on his face!

How can you be sure all of those devices are Linux based? I've never heard of a TV that runs Linux. Most cell phones are also NOT Linux based.

inobe
March 16th, 2011, 11:31 PM
How can you be sure all of those devices are Linux based? I've never heard of a TV that runs Linux. Most cell phones are also NOT Linux based.

almost all devices.

this is a fact, especially that knuckle heads sony flat screen :lol:

NightwishFan
March 16th, 2011, 11:54 PM
No it's not! Linux is the very fiber of my being. It consumes every thought of every waking moment. Without it I could not live, let alone function. If linux was food, I would eat it. If linux was a woman, I would marry her. I am going to have plastic surgery to make my face look like tux's. I pray to the linux gods to let me into the Eternal Kernel when I die.

:lolflag: Sig worthy. :)

RiceMonster
March 16th, 2011, 11:57 PM
almost all devices.

this is a fact, especially that knuckle heads sony flat screen :lol:

Right, it's a fact because you said so. Also not liking Linux makes someone a knuckle head.

inobe
March 17th, 2011, 12:03 AM
Right, it's a fact because you said so. Also not liking Linux makes someone a knuckle head.

no, it's a fact because it is so!

he's always been a knuckle head :P

unknownPoster
March 17th, 2011, 12:05 AM
no, it's a fact because it is so!

Care to provide proof?

inobe
March 17th, 2011, 12:05 AM
Care to provide proof?

nope.

unknownPoster
March 17th, 2011, 12:08 AM
nope.

Then you can't assert that your statement is true.

So please stop trolling.

FuturePilot
March 17th, 2011, 12:14 AM

A lot of Samsung LCD TVs are Linux based (probably other brands as well). The one that I have is Linux based.

inobe
March 17th, 2011, 12:15 AM
Then you can't assert that your statement is true.

So please stop trolling.

i'm trolling?

i'll be nice and at list give you the wikipedia list of device, okay?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux-powered_devices

i would do the work for you and search down each individual device, but i only have forty years left to live :lol:

youbuntu
March 17th, 2011, 12:16 AM
This thread is primarily borderline ridiculous, but peppered with the odd spat of obsessive behaviour and outright fanboyism, which include a comedy element to make it bearable. Fanboys are human too, just slightly obsessive.

Please, obsessives, keep the unintentionally funny stuff coming! :D

PS: My dinner isn't and wasn't and probably won't be GNU/Linux-based, but I still enjoyed it. Yes, surreal humour, but still true.

KiwiNZ
March 17th, 2011, 12:44 AM
Fanboy switch to OFF

Thread Closed before over exposure occurs