PDA

View Full Version : Im New - Thoughts on Kubuntu?

Poppyann
March 16th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Hello everyone :)

I'm new to this forum, and SORT of new to Linux. A while ago I had Ubuntu installed, and liked it, but I gradually stopped using it. Recently, I've been trying out Linux Mint, but for personal preferences I have come back to Ubuntu!

I would like to try out Kubuntu, and would love hearing your thoughts on the latest version. I want to try KDE over GNOME because I got a bit bored of the gnome UI, and I'm one for really nice graphics, etc.

So please post your opinions, and maybe if you've tried both, your own personal comparison and overviews?

Thanks everyone :D

weasel fierce
March 16th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Used Ubuntu pretty much since the earliest days (was my first linux) and just switched to Kubuntu 3 days ago :)

So far, I am loving every second of it.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you got, though I am still really new to Kubuntu.

NightwishFan
March 16th, 2011, 08:59 AM
I really like Kubuntu. I prefer standard Ubuntu and they way it works though. Nothing I can say will convince you either way. Try a live cd and see if you like it! :)

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kubuntu

Poppyann
March 16th, 2011, 09:06 AM
weasel fierce:

Thanks for the response.

I take it you are using the newest Kubuntu release? Mint KDE seemed to be a bit buggy to me, would you say Kubuntu is the same, or have you noticed any bugs so far?

Also, one of the things I really liked about Ubuntu was the docks in the software centre. Is this possible on Kubuntu?

Thank you! :D

NightwishFan:

I agree, I do like the way that Ubuntu works too. I will try a live CD like you said, and see what's going on.

Thanks for the youtube link, I was just about to search that up haha.

Elfy
March 16th, 2011, 09:11 AM
If you have enough system spec to run kubuntu from a vm - try that.

Install vbox and then install it with the iso - that will be somewhat more responsive than using a livecd - assuming you have a goodly amount of RAM.

What I'd not do is install kubuntu inside ubuntu - plays havoc with the menus :)

NightwishFan
March 16th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Basically. If you like the way it looks, give it a few days, and if after that you like the way it works, but have some problems, give it a few weeks and see if you can iron them out with some help here. :) You might find you like Kubuntu better by that point. I like it as well, and if I liked KDE, I would use Kubuntu.

Poppyann
March 16th, 2011, 09:15 AM
If you have enough system spec to run kubuntu from a vm - try that.

Install vbox and then install it with the iso - that will be somewhat more responsive than using a livecd - assuming you have a goodly amount of RAM.

What I'd not do is install kubuntu inside ubuntu - plays havoc with the menus :)

Ah yeah, that's a good idea actually, VMs work well on my machine, I do find the live CDs a bit stodgy at times

Sorry to be a noob but I didn't even realize you could install one inside another! I don't really see the point in that one though, I guess you either want one or the other.

Poppyann
March 16th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Basically. If you like the way it looks, give it a few days, and if after that you like the way it works, but have some problems, give it a few weeks and see if you can iron them out with some help here. :) You might find you like Kubuntu better by that point. I like it as well, and if I liked KDE, I would use Kubuntu.

Oh, so the reason you're not using Kubuntu is you don't like the KDE environment?
I'll admit, GNOME is a nice looking "matte" sort of UI.

I'll try it out, as you said, and depending on what it's like, I'll either stick with it or use Ubuntu.

ANOTHER question (sorry :() On Mint KDE 10, there is the option to use the Netbook theme, which is a bit of a novelty but a cool change once in a while. Is there such an option on Kubuntu?

Thanks everyone!

malspa
March 16th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Sorry to be a noob but I didn't even realize you could install one inside another! I don't really see the point in that one though, I guess you either want one or the other.

I've done it, mainly because I wanted to have the option of logging into either a GNOME session or a KDE session.

The main thing is, both GNOME and KDE apps will show up in the menus. But it's no big deal to edit the menus to your tastes.

NightwishFan
March 16th, 2011, 09:23 AM
I like KDE, just not as much as unity or gnome, I was big on KDE back when I used OpenSUSE in 07'. Just like gnome apps more, such as evince, nautilus, etc. KDE interface is still quite good. Though granted I can use gnome apps on KDE.

Yes, the netbook interface should be on Ubuntu. :D

Poppyann
March 16th, 2011, 09:24 AM
I've done it, mainly because I wanted to have the option of logging into either a GNOME session or a KDE session.

The main thing is, both GNOME and KDE apps will show up in the menus. But it's no big deal to edit the menus to your tastes.

So how does it work? Is it literally the two sort of layered on top of each other, or what? I Don't see a problem with both the apps showing up, I'll probably download some GNOME apps; I got quite used to Rhythmbox...

Poppyann
March 16th, 2011, 09:26 AM
I like KDE, just not as much as unity or gnome, I was big on KDE back when I used OpenSUSE in 07'. Just like gnome apps more, such as evince, nautilus, etc. KDE interface is still quite good. Though granted I can use gnome apps on KDE.

Yes, the netbook interface should be on Ubuntu. :D

Fair enough, the live CD .iso just finished downloading, so I'll find out for myself in a few minutes, Ill tell you what I think :P

Thanks so much for your help

malspa
March 16th, 2011, 09:39 AM
So how does it work? Is it literally the two sort of layered on top of each other, or what?

Not really, you get a choice of which desktop environment to log into, but you can use apps from either one whether you log into GNOME or KDE.

Personally, I liked adding KDE to the main (GNOME) version of Ubuntu better than going with Kubuntu, mainly because I felt like Ubuntu gave me more apps to work with than Kubuntu, and a better set-up, at the start. But other people have different opinions about that.

I also have Linux Mint installed here, and I pretty much did the same thing, started out with the main (GNOME) version, then added KDE from the Ubuntu repos; and I mainly use KDE in Mint these days. This despite the fact that Mint has a KDE version that other people say is great.

One thing that might be irritating, GNOME stuff shows up at certain times, like when I plug in a flash drive, it opens in Nautilus, not Dolphin (maybe I can fix that, but I haven't bothered).

I'd probably stick with either GNOME or KDE if I was new to it all, but at this point I don't care, I'm comfortable using either one.

Poppyann
March 16th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Not really, you get a choice of which desktop environment to log into, but you can use apps from either one whether you log into GNOME or KDE.

Personally, I liked adding KDE to the main (GNOME) version of Ubuntu better than going with Kubuntu, mainly because I felt like Ubuntu gave me more apps to work with than Kubuntu, and a better set-up, at the start. But other people have different opinions about that.

I also have Linux Mint installed here, and I pretty much did the same thing, started out with the main (GNOME) version, then added KDE from the Ubuntu repos; and I mainly use KDE in Mint these days. This despite the fact that Mint has a KDE version that other people say is great.

One thing that might be irritating, GNOME stuff shows up at certain times, like when I plug in a flash drive, it opens in Nautilus, not Dolphin (maybe I can fix that, but I haven't bothered).

I'd probably stick with either GNOME or KDE if I was new to it all, but at this point I don't care, I'm comfortable using either one.

Alright, I understand!

I am not too hot on installing using Linux, whilst I was using Ubuntu, I didn't really take the learning curve, which may be one of the reasons I left it. This time, I will take the time to learn. However, your set up sounds pretty good, having the choice to use one or the other is something I wouldn't say no to haha.

My live CD finished, and I am up and running with the Trial on Kubuntu, and I like it so far, seems similar to Mint KDE, but In my opinion seems ALOT less buggy. In Mint KDE I had a lot of graphical errors, but here I see none.

I assumed it would come with Firefox already here, but I actually like this preinstalled browser (Rekonq).

I will install it alongside windows, and see what it's like after using it for a few days/weeks.

Shmantiv_Radio
March 16th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Hello everyone :)

I'm new to this forum, and SORT of new to Linux. A while ago I had Ubuntu installed, and liked it, but I gradually stopped using it. Recently, I've been trying out Linux Mint, but for personal preferences I have come back to Ubuntu!

I would like to try out Kubuntu, and would love hearing your thoughts on the latest version. I want to try KDE over GNOME because I got a bit bored of the gnome UI, and I'm one for really nice graphics, etc.

So please post your opinions, and maybe if you've tried both, your own personal comparison and overviews?

Thanks everyone :D

My biggest problems are with Kopete and Rekonq.

Kopete is crap for MSN. Seriously don't even try it.

Rekonq crashes way too much with plugins.

GabrielYYZ
March 16th, 2011, 10:43 AM
there's a Firefox installer in Kubuntu, look under apps > network(ing?) and it'll be there.

i have Kubuntu and Fedora XFCE spin installed and, while i like them both, i prefer Kubuntu over any other environment. i like how there's always an option, for everything. other people might get confused or annoyed but i like that aspect of KDE quite a bit.

1 tip: disable the blur effect as soon as you install Kubuntu. it's a resource hog and doesn't really improve much of anything.

i hope you enjoy kubuntu, cheers!

Poppyann
March 16th, 2011, 11:07 AM
My biggest problems are with Kopete and Rekonq.

Kopete is crap for MSN. Seriously don't even try it.

Rekonq crashes way too much with plugins.

Hahaha, I used Kopete in Ubuntu a while ago, and I agree, it's rubbish. I've stopped using MSN now though, I actually just un-installed it from my Windows -.-

there's a Firefox installer in Kubuntu, look under apps > network(ing?) and it'll be there.

i have Kubuntu and Fedora XFCE spin installed and, while i like them both, i prefer Kubuntu over any other environment. i like how there's always an option, for everything. other people might get confused or annoyed but i like that aspect of KDE quite a bit.

1 tip: disable the blur effect as soon as you install Kubuntu. it's a resource hog and doesn't really improve much of anything.

i hope you enjoy kubuntu, cheers!

Thanks for your tip on disabling blur, I'll go ahead and do that.

I liked Kubuntu whilst using the LiveCD, but after installing it I noticed it got stuck on the loading screen for some reason -.- I'm currently downloading an Alternate CD, hoping it works :confused: I know it's definitely not because of my hardware, because it ran fine for every other OS I've tried :\

malspa
March 16th, 2011, 12:59 PM
My live CD finished, and I am up and running with the Trial on Kubuntu, and I like it so far, seems similar to Mint KDE, but In my opinion seems ALOT less buggy. In Mint KDE I had a lot of graphical errors, but here I see none.

That's interesting, considering how some people rave about Mint KDE. Haven't tried it myself. Haven't used Kubuntu in some time, either. Best KDE distro I have going right now is Fedora 14's KDE version.

By the way, in Ubuntu Lucid, I didn't install the full KDE this time around, I only installed a few KDE apps (like Dolphin). Doing that does bring in a lot of KDE packages, though. But seems to have worked out fine.

Poppyann
March 16th, 2011, 01:22 PM
That's interesting, considering how some people rave about Mint KDE. Haven't tried it myself. Haven't used Kubuntu in some time, either. Best KDE distro I have going right now is Fedora 14's KDE version.

By the way, in Ubuntu Lucid, I didn't install the full KDE this time around, I only installed a few KDE apps (like Dolphin). Doing that does bring in a lot of KDE packages, though. But seems to have worked out fine.

Yeah, I did notice alot of people raving about the Mint version. Personally, I found it buggy.

I havent actually installed Kubuntu yet -.- I've had some problems with freezing boot screen, Alternate CD didn't work either, Im now downloading the Desktop DVD instead of the Desktop CD and if THIS doesn't work I think I'll just install Ubuntu again, lol.

...Or I might look into Fedora a bit more. That looks interesting

malspa
March 16th, 2011, 01:32 PM
@ Poppyann - Regarding your boot screen freezing, are you on at the Kubuntu forums? Just wondering if folks there might have discussed it already.

Poppyann
March 16th, 2011, 01:35 PM
@ Poppyann - Regarding your boot screen freezing, are you on at the Kubuntu forums? Just wondering if folks there might have discussed it already.

Yes I have looked it up already, didn't find much of a fix, it seemed like theirs were freezing when Kubuntu was their ONLY os installed, whereas I have Windows too so, it's not a big deal; I have an os that works.

It's freezing when I try and install it from inside the live CD trial. Mint KDE was the same. Not really sure what's going on but hey. I went on the March 2011 Desktop screenshots and some of those make me want to get Ubuntu back and make really nice looking desktops :P