PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Messed up screen/graphics...

hh511jas
March 16th, 2011, 08:44 AM
I'm a Windows Vista user but I decided to try Ubuntu 10.10 for the first time, I installed it using Wubi (duel boot), finished installing and rebooted. Once Ubuntu started, the screen and graphics were messed up. I notice it was too big, a lot of lines a lot of distortion etc. Once it finished installing, it rebooted and went to the Ubuntu log on screen and it was severely distorted too. Maybe it has to do with my system not meeting the requirements, the following are my system specs:

32-bit HP Pavilion dv6500 Notebook

Processor: AMD Anthlon(tm) 64 X2 Mobile TK55

Graphic Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7150/ nForce630M

X86 Based PC

1.80GHz

1GB RAM

140 GB of in my C Drive
117GB of free space

Monitor Resolution 1200 by 800 pixels

I'm pretty sure it meets the requirements but just in case.
Can somebody please give me a solution because I'm unable to do anything in Ubuntu with the messed of graphics. Thank you...

nxpx
March 16th, 2011, 12:03 PM
I think what you mention is the same problem I had when I first installed Ubuntu a month ago.

What fixed it for me was enabling Nvidia drivers.

Try go "System" -> "Administration" -> "Additional Drivers" and enable Nvidia drivers, then restart.

hh511jas
March 16th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Can you tell where that is since Im completely new to Ubuntu and the screen is to messed up, any hot keys to open that up?

nxpx
March 16th, 2011, 09:33 PM
If it is that messed up, I am not sure anymore, if its the same problem as I had.

try open a terminal with shortcut keys ctrl + alt + t and type in /usr/bin/jockey-gtk

Should bring it up the window I am talking about.

hh511jas
March 17th, 2011, 04:07 AM
Hello again, it doesn't work. It says

"Downloading package indexes failed, please check your network status. Most drivers will not be available"

I'm not connected to the internet in Ubuntu, that's another problem...
Anything else I can do?

nxpx
March 17th, 2011, 10:07 AM
As far as i can see from a quick Google search the drivers for the Realtek RTL8101 network card is built in to the system.

Are you using cable or wireless?

You can check what network controller you have with this command:
lspci | grep Eth

I think you can check if the driver is loaded with this command:

dmesg | grep Eth

Check IP configuration with

ifconfig

Sorry im not much help, I only started using Ubuntu a month ago, hopefully somebody else can chip in with some ideas.

Thanks

hh511jas
March 22nd, 2011, 03:36 AM
It's alright, still apreciate the adive thanks. I posted a new thread, here it is link... http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1709227

hh511jas
March 22nd, 2011, 09:51 AM
Yes it's fixed. First I connected the internet (wired connection), then I went to terminal and put
aptitude show nvidia-glx-180 It showed me that I have two options which I can install (don't remember it), I chose one and put the install code that it gave me, installed, then I went to additional drivers and there was nvidia and my wireless broadcom. Updated then restarted and I got my graphics and wireless.:P