PDA

View Full Version : Is Your Company Hiring Programmers/Developers right now?

giddyup306
March 16th, 2011, 07:29 AM
I think I'm going to finish up my degree in computer science. I'd bet the job market is pretty bad right now, (I know a programmer here in town that works at a firm that laid off half of its developers). I saw a poll on iATN a while ago, and almost 70% of all shops weren't hiring mechanics. I hope this field is a little better...

This should go without saying, but if your company doesn't hire programmers, please abstain from this poll.

LowSky
March 16th, 2011, 08:19 AM
People forget that companies outside of tehnology fields also use programmers.

For instance the Utility Companies use many in house built applications.
So do most companies that rely any kind of data crunching... like most of them.

Places are still hiring and many of them need people with very exact skills. Sorry to say the guy with generic degrees and no specific skills are not going to get hired. Just dont leave with a degree try to get some certifications too.

Dragonbite
March 16th, 2011, 03:14 PM
I am currently working at a small, non-profit financial company. Before that I was working at a company that tests samples for cancer.

So don't worry about having to work at a computer company to be working in the field, and don't discount non-profits either. When I left my previous company (a public company) for my current one (non-profit), my pay jumped over 30% from the get-go and now, 5 years later, I'm making a full 2x what I was doing at my last job plus education to boot!

Another advantage of a non-profit was when the economy tanked, we haven't been too drastically effected in part because we don't have investors cutting costs (headcount) in order to keep making money!

Unfortunately, we are not hiring at this time, but get in touch with multiple recruiters and get their take on things. They are in the middle of it all and if they are seeing a swamping of developer and no hints of openings then that may tell you something.

If you want to be involved with Linux look at what Canonical and Red Hat are hiring for. Both of them want somebody with knowledge in working in an open source project so not only does it give you experience, connections and resume material, but it may even open doors that keeps a lot of candidates out!

Good luck! :) We're not hiring at this time, though, but there is the possibility something may come along our way and we need to expand. Who knows?

beercz
March 16th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Well, if there are any companies hiring, I could be available: http://lidd.net :-)