PDA

View Full Version : LPI level 2 in 6 months?

Pred
May 5th, 2006, 03:02 PM
I wanted to ask you all a question. Is it feasible to become LPI level 2 certified in 6 months, for someone who has basic knowledge of linux? No classroom stuff, just all on your own time while working 45 hours a week.

DigitalDuality
May 5th, 2006, 03:06 PM
I'd love some inside info about this as well from someone who actually took the test.

I want this, not so much for my resume, but to give myself a goal to obtain so i can get a better grasp on linux. I've been using solely linux now since December. 4 months of ubuntu, 1 of Fedora.

I've gotten the LPI Bible, as well as a RHCT book that i've been doing practice exercises out of, but i really have very very littly money to spare.

I can't afford to take the test and fail.

Pred
May 5th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Well, I'm talking more along the lines of an ultimatum. Either do that all on your own time, not at work, or we'll find someone to replace you. I'm trying to find out how far up the creek I am if you know what I mean.

Pred
May 5th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Anyone have any idea?

SeanTater
May 5th, 2006, 09:23 PM
I really don't know about lpi -- but linux IMO is really not heard to figure out -- using it intuitively is most difficult, and why do you need it? Figuring out how to use grep, sed, echo, ln, mv etc. is easy. Learning python is not as difficult as you might think.. figuring out a DE is simple; if it were not, it would not be in use.
what do you want to know?

htinn
May 5th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Yes. This is why I'm always completely honest on my resume, if you know what I mean. :p

mlomker
May 5th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Anyone have any idea?

This is one of those impossible-to-answer questions. We don't know how dedicated you are to studying (or what your family commitments are), what equipment you have at your disposal, or how good you are at taking tests.

Did you do a college degree by night school or distance-ed? Did you do an MCSE or CNE in 5 months 'back in the day?' If so, then your study skills are probably great and you don't have much to worry about.

PilotJLR
November 6th, 2006, 03:21 AM
Well, I'm talking more along the lines of an ultimatum. Either do that all on your own time, not at work, or we'll find someone to replace you. I'm trying to find out how far up the creek I am if you know what I mean.

I hope this works out well for you! With proper motivation, I think this would be possible.

But I have to ask... are you really saying your employer told you to get this cert in 6 months, after work hours, on your own?? If so, it's time to start looking, regardless how the exams turn out! A good employer would at least pay for your training.

JayTee
November 6th, 2006, 04:30 AM
I hope this works out well for you! With proper motivation, I think this would be possible.

But I have to ask... are you really saying your employer told you to get this cert in 6 months, after work hours, on your own?? If so, it's time to start looking, regardless how the exams turn out! A good employer would at least pay for your training.

I heartily agree with the above post. If I were you I'd hunker down, study hard and get the cert and then start looking for another job right away. If you plan on giving two weeks notice be advised alot of places now walk you to the door right after you hand in your notice for "security reasons". They still have to pay you for the two weeks though. Have your notice in writing and drop it off at the HR department BEFORE you talk to your boss. Sometimes you find them trying to fire you if they think you're about to leave.

mips
November 6th, 2006, 11:20 AM
If it really is an ultimatum and they just want to see you passing in a short period of time then I suggest you start studying now.

Secondly I am now going to tell you something I do not like doing myself but desperate times calls for desperate measures. Have a look at the Testking stuff. I had no choice but to use this for one of my cisco ccnp exams once due to a 1 week deadline I had. You could probably pass the exam just witht the Testking stuff imho. What you get in Testking is almost identical to the real exam. I'm talking from cisco viewpoint but i'm sure the lpi is the same.

http://www.testking.com/certification-training-LPI.htm

With the testking stuff I would say you could easily do it in 3-4months or even shorter depending on how much you cram.

Feel free to PM me if you need more 'help' ! Hint:Google is your friend :)