PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Am getting to the points to were i wanna kill windows...

4an1
March 16th, 2011, 04:30 AM
And am thinking about upgrading to ubuntu, i play lots of wow and cs, what drivers do i need to get everything running smooth.

i have and amd x64
a msi motherboard
with 1 gig of ram
msi k9n6pgm2-v2 motherboard

wojox
March 16th, 2011, 04:46 AM
Couldn't tell you being you didn't post your graphics card/chipset. :P

kagerato
March 16th, 2011, 04:59 AM
World of Warcraft and Counter-Strike were written exclusively for proprietary Windows APIs. The only ways to run them on other operating systems is through reimplementations of those APIs (for example, Wine), or under virtualization (ex: VirtualBox).

As to "drivers", the Linux kernel ships with the vast majority of drivers you may need out of the box. The only typical exceptions are high-performance 3D graphics drivers and some wireless network cards.

I would recommend setting up a dual-boot system if you really need to play Windows-specific games. It's usually faster and easier than configuring Wine. Most Windows graphics drivers get better 3D performance, as well. (Although Nvidia's proprietary Linux driver is nearly as good as the Windows one, and the ATI drivers are slowly catching up bit by bit.)

Some people demand a pure Linux system, though. Typically they use a higher-end GPU in Wine, and reduce the game's graphics settings. That works decently, at least if the game is already well supported ( see http://appdb.winehq.org/ ).

4an1
March 16th, 2011, 05:34 AM
its a Geforce 7025 integrated

wojox
March 16th, 2011, 11:15 PM
its a Geforce 7025 integrated

It looks like all you need is an nvidia driver and you can install those after you install the system.