PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] office 2007 install on ubuntu 10.10

killergoat117
March 16th, 2011, 02:02 AM
i have successfully installed office 2007 on ubuntu 10.10 using "PlayOnLinux". I am now trying to activate my version of office, but when i get to the screen to type my code nothing is entered in the box...i cant even get a blinking bar to appear in the box. I tryed just typing it in even though it did not appear (nothing happened)...ive tried disabling compiz and could not get it to work...any suggestions people?

Amcfar75
March 19th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Hi Killergoat117.
I have exactly the same problem but i am running 10.04. I have never used play on Linux before now and I was impressed at how easy it was to install office 2007 on it. As you have described everything works but I just can't type in to the activation code box. This is a very annoying problem. I have previously just used wine to install office 2007 and played around with the configuration guided by the how tos on this forum. I am contemplating reinstalling office 2007 but not using play on Linux but just using wine although this is somewhat fiddly. Have a look at the how tos on this forum if you fancy giving that a go.
Sorry i can't give a quick and easy answer and i can't guarantee that reinstalling with wine will be fix the problem but it is the only thing i can think of. If anybody has a better way to fix it i would be very keen to hear it cos i really don't want to have to reinstall office 2007.
Hope that helps.

Jagoly
March 19th, 2011, 01:56 PM
If you register it, there will be problems. I installed a cracked office 2007 first to check compatibility. Powerpoint, publisher and others don't work. Only Word and Excel. Test it out with a crack before registering. Unless of course it gives you a trial. I can't remember.

Amcfar75
March 23rd, 2011, 06:06 PM
Hi Jagoly
The problem is not it working cos the powerpiont, word and excel work pretty well but there is a problem with the box you have to put the activation code in to. It will just not let me type in the activation code. I have had the whole thing working pretty well before on ubuntu 10.04 but had to reinstall the OS and decided to use play on linux to reinstall Office 2007 as i thought it might be easier but it turns out that unless i can activate it then i will not be able to use Office 2007 beyond the length of the trial (25 uses). This problem just seems crazy cos i have had it working before on 10.04 with no problems.

Jagoly
March 24th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Really? It works for you? That's great. Maybe i'll try again. I don't remember having that issue with the activation code's form, though. I'll try again. Playonlinux is for games isn't it? I've done no research at all on it; I like wine by itself. What is POL exactly?

DDDmatrix
March 24th, 2011, 10:20 AM
I'm using ubuntu 10.1 and also encountered this problem. Still can't do anything with this problem!. However, i installed "Microsoft Office 2007 Blue Edition" (very easy to Google!) instead. This edition don't ask for activation but it don't have "Customize" options during installation process, it just automatically install every thing, you have to uninstall some features after that. Hope this help!

EddiePereira
November 19th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Hey guys, I'm completely new to the Lubuntu world, and I've already recorded the LiveCD in order to install it on my PC. But first I need to solve some issues, such as how to open and edit Office 2007 documents. I was thinking about the Open-, Libre- and other non-MS Offices, but now you're saying it's possible to install MS-Office on Linux... Is it more interesting than the alternative ones? Doesn't it get too heavy or slow? It's important to say, my PC is a Celeron 1.3 with 512MB RAM and 20GB HD.

Any opinions?

Thx!

Mark Phelps
November 21st, 2011, 04:53 PM
The problem you're likely to run into is that, starting with Office 2007, the default file format for saving files was changed to the new "XML" format. That changed the file extension from (say) .doc to .docx.

The open source alternatives (OOO and LibreOffice) have problems with the new XML format files. Some work fine, others don't work at all. It all depends on what new Office 2007 features the file creator used in Windows.

Also, ALL that is going to work is Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. The others won't work.