PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] dual boot install using recovery partition

cholericfun
March 15th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Hello,

i just got my hands on an old laptop (Medion WIM 2090) which i wanted to use as a dual boot machine.
To make things a little "easyer" and cleaner, i just wiped C: drive (NOT the "recover" partition) and put a swap,ntfs & ext partition in its place.
ubuntu install went ok, so i ventured to install windows. (yeah i know, should install windows first, then linux)

I cant figure out how to access that recovery though.
Websearch has so far not been helpfull, search terms like "recovery partition windows" aren't very strong candidates either. Plus i now wonder if the recovery partition is even intended to be used after a disk-wipe.

hope it doesnt look too odd for asking windows-stuff, this is simply the first and best forum to ask,
any hints are appreciated!

cholericfun
March 15th, 2011, 11:06 PM
finally found a manual for that laptop. seems like one does need a separate cd to start putting a fresh system on the harddrive. This is rather strange, i thought the hard-disk-recover-partition was intended to do away with cd's.

what are the odds anyone reading having such a thing lying about? i know for sure i dont...

cholericfun
March 16th, 2011, 12:48 AM
Ah well, looks like an install cd is the only option in this somewhat strange case.
apparently even the support-disc might not be able to produce a fresh install if the partitions have been changed.