PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Developers!

dh04000
March 15th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Let me begin this by saying that I am not a developer. I am a scientist. A biochemist to be exact. And as you'd imagine, I do alot of teaching to students in chemistry. One of the big problems in chemistry is teach the concept of orbital and bonding. Visually is the only way to really get this across to students. I use Avogadro from the software center to teach bonding and show molecules..... but I lack a good way to show atomic and molecular orbitals......

THEN I found this program. http://www.orbitals.com/orb/index.html

Orbital viewer. It looks to be exactly what I need to help me teach students! The problem is there is only an old updated windows binary available..... but the owner has put up the source code for the project up in a zip file. I have no idea what the license on this piece of software is, but I assume something permissive considering the available source code.

I emailed the guy today asking for the license and the permission to distribute.

If the license was ok, and I got permission, would there be anyone interested in porting this to linux/ubuntu? I assume a recompiling is all that would be needed. Anyone up to the challenge?

Thanks,
dh04000.

EDIT: I was mistaken, no source code available. I'd have to ask the original developer for it.

nerdy_kid
March 15th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Have you tried the program in WINE?

sanderd17
March 15th, 2011, 08:50 PM
I can't find any source code of the app. I did find a zip with examle files and a zip with some sound program.

Without sourcecode, it can't be compiled.

You could try to run it on wine.

dh04000
March 15th, 2011, 08:57 PM
My mistake, no source code available.

I'm downloading wine, going to try it and get back to you.

My hopes are not particularly high.

unknownPoster
March 15th, 2011, 08:57 PM
The page hasn't been updated in 7 years, I doubt you'll get a response.

dh04000
March 15th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Works great in wine. I believe prefect.

I guess wine will be a decent stop-gap solution. I wish it could be ported though....