PDA

View Full Version : help boots into terminal not os

KILLR COMANDO
March 15th, 2011, 07:43 PM
so i just got ubuntu so i updated it then installed the wirless card drivers and nvida card drivers i then had to restart so when it re starts it is not at the log in screen like normal it is like in the terminal and then asks me for the log in name so i type it hit enter and then it asks for password so i type it in hit enter and then it says packages can be updated the updates are security up dates then it wants me to type a command in what do i do

philinux
March 15th, 2011, 07:54 PM
so i just got ubuntu so i updated it then installed the wirless card drivers and nvida card drivers i then had to restart so when it re starts it is not at the log in screen like normal it is like in the terminal and then asks me for the log in name so i type it hit enter and then it asks for password so i type it in hit enter and then it says packages can be updated the updates are security up dates then it wants me to type a command in what do i do

After you've logged in type startx then the enter key and see if it gets you the desktop.

We can sort the updates out after.

KILLR COMANDO
March 15th, 2011, 08:01 PM
After you've logged in type startx then the enter key and see if it gets you the desktop.

We can sort the updates out after.
i did that then got this closing log... no such file or directory unable to connect to x server sever error

Slaint
March 15th, 2011, 09:04 PM

how did you install the drivers? for the wireless and video? also please post your system specs. might be a specific hardware issue