PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Live CD hangs after title screen

Metro98
March 15th, 2011, 02:51 PM
I have a homebuilt PC that was working fine, running Win7 until last September, when it wouldn't power on for longer than 1/2 second. I went through all the troubleshooting steps I could think of (return MOBO to mfgr, return CPU to mfgr, take to TWO computer 'experts', return PSU to mfgr) until I finally got a PC that would power up. However, the computer wouldn't make it past the Win7 splash screen. I'd get the "Starting Windows" message, and two of the four dots would appear before the screen went blank and there was no activity.

Enter Linux.

I loaded Ubuntu 7.10 from a CD my father gave me, and it ran fine. I was able to rescue my files from the HDD and transferred them all off the PC. I was also able to access the internet (which I didn't think much of at the time). I formatted and restored the HDD using the nfts format so I could reload Win7. Again, no dice. Ubuntu 7.10 live CD still worked, but when I tried loading a newer version of Ubuntu, all of them froze or hung after the Ubuntu title screen. My MOBO flashed a POST code of AA, which indicated "Uninstall POST INT1ch vector and INT09h vector. Deinitializes the ADM module." All of the following versions have the same error characteristics when loading from either CD or USB:

Ubuntu 10.10, both 64 & 32-bit, CD & USB
Ubuntu 10.4.2, 64-bit, CD & USB
Ubuntu 9.10, 64-bit, USB
Linux Mint 10, USB
Debian Live GNOME, USB

Also - no internet. I have a wired, DHCP connection, but it doesn't work anymore.
No on-board video. The res won't go past 1280x1024, and it should go up to 1920.

Here are my PC specs. The only thing that has changed is the CPU, but that was a one-for-one swap. Everything else is the same.

MB ECS Black A785GM-M
CPU AMD Athlon II X4 620
HD WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA 3.0
MEM OCZ Gold 4GB DDR3 SDRAM 1600

My preference is to run Win7 on this machine, maybe to dual boot since the only reason I am using linux is because it's working. This was supposed to be a HTPC, but it's a very expensive tan/orange background right now. Thanks for your help.

Metro