PDA

View Full Version : When are you updating your main pc/os to 11.04?

ikt
March 15th, 2011, 01:57 PM
I'll probably upgrade to the beta1, how about you?

ELD
March 15th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Apparently i can't vote? Anyway i will once AMD put out official drivers that work.

Sashin
March 15th, 2011, 02:08 PM
done and done.

r-senior
March 15th, 2011, 02:38 PM
I'm going to wait until Natty lets me vote on this poll.

ikt
March 15th, 2011, 02:47 PM
hrmm what's going on :S

sgage
March 15th, 2011, 02:51 PM
OMG! 100% of the people are putting natty on their main pc at Beta 1!

Thund3rstruck
March 15th, 2011, 03:59 PM
I wont be installing it ever, unless there is an upgrade compelling enough to justify an upgrade. I learned my lesson the hard way... upgrading kernels breaks VMWare, wireless, video codecs, flash, etc and it's just too tedious to have to fix all that stuff each time a new kernel is released.

ELD
March 15th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Care to share how a kernel update breaks flash?

cariboo
March 15th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Moved to the Cafe, as this is the only place polls work.

Copper Bezel
March 15th, 2011, 04:54 PM
I have a patched trackpad driver, so I won't be changing up until its PPA catches up. I've had vast improvements in performance and usability with the last two releases and won't be missing this one.

DoktorSeven
March 15th, 2011, 04:59 PM
None of the poll options, going to wait until AMD fglrx graphics is confirmed to work well, as usual.

uRock
March 15th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I never do upgrades anymore, my first attempts at that broke the system every time.

I will do a clean install of Natty a couple of weeks after the final release, so that the major bugs will be fixed.

I will only install Natty on one machine, the other machines are staying with the LTS until 12.04.1 is released.

NCLI
March 15th, 2011, 05:30 PM
I upgraded the day the new repos opened :)

johntaylor1887
March 15th, 2011, 05:42 PM
I'll probably wait a month or 2 after release, then do a clean install.

beew
March 15th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Not going to. It has nothing to do with Unity, but 6 month is is just too soon for OS upgrade. Maverick is still new and it is running beautifully on my main machine, incredibly fast and smooth and I have customized it just the way I like. My plan was to keep it for about a year and then upgrade to 11.10 around Dec (when bugs in 11.10 are worked out), but since i like it so much I may wait even a bit longer.

I keep my software up to date with a lot of PPAs, whatever stability problem that may arise it is still a lot more stable than starting from scratch (which is the worst case scenario if you f something up anyway) I don't do upgrades, always fresh install.

rent0n
March 15th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Never.
Staying with Lucid until April 2012, when the new LTS comes out.
LTS is the way to go to enjoy the best GNU/Linux OS the community has to offer while not going crazy for updating/reinstalling every six months.

Random_Dude
March 15th, 2011, 07:27 PM
I'll do a clean install probably in the summer.

mcduck
March 15th, 2011, 07:48 PM
As soon as it starts behaving nicely on my computer. Last time I tried it, it finally managed to get as far as the desktop, but was pretty much unusable.

Probably around Beta1/Beta2 if things go fine. That's usually the time I upgrade, depending on how busy I am at the moment.

weasel fierce
March 15th, 2011, 08:27 PM
I had upgraded to the alpha, but after I managed to break everything (not related to the alpha) I will probably wait until a few months after its done

Eldera
March 15th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Staying with Lucid until April 2012, when the new LTS comes out.

Me, too. I prefer to do clean installs instead of upgrades and it is just too much work to do every 6 months, especially when I have all my preferences set just the way I like them.

Have a great day!

aaaantoine
March 15th, 2011, 09:20 PM
I want to give it about a month for some of the bugs to be worked out.

There's no poll option which covers this, so I'm not voting.

Isn't "the day after release" an awfully narrow window which will probably get very few votes? At the very least you could have said something like "within a week of release". Also missing: "Other; Please Explain".

wojox
March 15th, 2011, 09:24 PM
I want to give it about a month for some of the bugs to be worked out.

There's no poll option which covers this, so I'm not voting.

That's what I always tell myself, but then I end up downloading on the release day.

Voted day of release. :P

aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw==
March 15th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Skipping this release as it's obviously going to ship at beta-quality at best. I'll check back when the next LTS hits.

eriktheblu
March 15th, 2011, 11:35 PM
10.04 has what I need. I have seen no features on 11.04 that justify replacing my OS.

I will upgrade when I replace my machine, or find such a feature.

scouser73
March 16th, 2011, 03:15 AM
I chose Other, I want to see how it pans out with people first and then I'll make the jump depending on good reviews.

marl30
March 16th, 2011, 03:58 AM
I'm in the process of installing Ubuntu 11.04 on my small test partition. I have 10.10 on the main partition. I'll probably start using it at beta as my main OS if any of the remaining bugs are none that affect usability and stability.

ikt
March 16th, 2011, 04:09 AM
Updating the poll to include other, sorry it was late when I made it :p

Khakilang
March 16th, 2011, 04:46 AM
Not going to unless my hard disk crash. I am lazy to install those software that I use all over again.

LowSky
March 16th, 2011, 05:11 AM
I'm going to upgrade once the RC is out, like I have the last 3 times.

Shmantiv_Radio
March 16th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Skipping this release as it's obviously going to ship at beta-quality at best. I'll check back when the next LTS hits.

This.

If KDE 4.0 taught me anything, it's that instantly upgrading to the latest and greatest DE in linux is like stapling your johnson to a table, stupid and painful.

mcduck
March 16th, 2011, 11:27 AM
I'm going to upgrade once the RC is out, like I have the last 3 times.

You might have to wait quite long for that, considering that there isn't going to be any RC for 11.04... ;)

gnomeuser
March 16th, 2011, 11:29 AM
I run the daily development release from the day the repo opens. So far I have had very few issues with this approach.

I am likely to do a reinstall at some point soon to migrate to btrfs. I am planning to use the snapshot feature to test those daily upgrades with the added safety of being able to roll back to a known good state.

disabledaccount
March 16th, 2011, 02:19 PM
I wont change system only because there is *new* one with higher number sticked on it. Btrfs is too young to hold critical data, new GUI is not worth spending several days on recompiling/reinstalling software and fix possible problems. It's fine to try if someone usues only firefox and movie player, I can try it inside VM. This is the only thing that I don't like in Ubuntu - too frequent releases.

pickarooney
March 16th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Unless my some miracle ubuntu starts supporting my TV card again I won't be upgrading.

ThawingOwl
March 16th, 2011, 06:26 PM
I just started with 10.10 on my laptop. I'll probably stick with that for a while to get to know how Ubuntu works. I'll probably upgrade to a new version early next year.

robots.jpg
March 16th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Another LTSer here, so I'll be skipping 11.04. Doesn't mean I won't install it on a virtual machine to check it out, though.

Edit: Requesting "Not going to" option with a smug smiley-face wearing sunglasses.

sffvba[e0rt
March 16th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Happily running Natty since the day before Alpha 3...

Malcy
March 16th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Not going to. I'll stick with 10.04LTS as it is running well. I will look at the next LTS but if it wants to take me down any paths that I don't want to take it may be time to move elsewhere. :)

BrokenKingpin
March 16th, 2011, 08:07 PM
About a month after release. I like to let any release issues to be worked out before upgrading.

kev77
March 16th, 2011, 08:10 PM
waiting to see how compatible my macbook pro 3.1 (No osx partition, ubuntu only) will be before committing

LowSky
March 16th, 2011, 08:37 PM
You might have to wait quite long for that, considering that there isn't going to be any RC for 11.04... ;)

Why wont there be an RC?

uRock
March 16th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Why wont there be an RC?
This doesn't show why, but it does show the schedule.
http://www.webupd8.org/2010/08/ubuntu-1104-natty-narwhal-release.html

markp1989
March 16th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Will probably do a fresh install the day of release, the day after at the latest.

installed with a separate /home so I dont have to do much messing around

I only have to install a handful of programs after a fresh install to give me everything I need

ebasa
March 16th, 2011, 10:47 PM
I will stick with 10.04 until its end of life, unless there is some miraculous new reason to update, so far nothing seems interesting or needed.

David D.
March 16th, 2011, 10:53 PM
I am using 10.10 as my main system, also booting Vista (came on my laptop) and Natty for testing (i.e., a triple boot). I will upgrade to Natty as my main system when it is released, and clear the partition that 11.04 is currently being tested on to make it ready for testing 11.10.

TriBlox6432
March 16th, 2011, 11:06 PM
Never going to upgrade. I stick to the LTS releases, and even then I wait a few months or so, just to make sure it's good and ready. ;)

malspa
March 16th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Never going to upgrade. I stick to the LTS releases, and even then I wait a few months or so, just to make sure it's good and ready. ;)

Same here.

bluelamp999
March 16th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Not going to. It has nothing to do with Unity, but 6 month is is just too soon for OS upgrade. Maverick is still new and it is running beautifully on my main machine, incredibly fast and smooth and I have customized it just the way I like. My plan was to keep it for about a year and then upgrade to 11.10 around Dec (when bugs in 11.10 are worked out), but since i like it so much I may wait even a bit longer.

I keep my software up to date with a lot of PPAs, whatever stability problem that may arise it is still a lot more stable than starting from scratch (which is the worst case scenario if you f something up anyway) I don't do upgrades, always fresh install.

My feelings exactly! I'm usually an inveterate upgrader but I think I'll sit 11.04 out...

Lucradia
March 16th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Not going to. I also should update my specs for my two machines in my sig.

My main will stay Windows; my netbook will be Linux.

beew
March 16th, 2011, 11:32 PM
I am using 10.10 as my main system, also booting Vista (came on my laptop) and Natty for testing (i.e., a triple boot). I will upgrade to Natty as my main system when it is released, and clear the partition that 11.04 is currently being tested on to make it ready for testing 11.10.

With that kind of always looking at the next release set up how do you actually enjoy your current OS? Nothing personal, I am just curious because I cannot do that myself. I would like to have some stable computing environment (but not too long, probably one year is optimal) so I can actually work with my OS and explore its functionality instead of always in a beta mode.

Old_Grey_Wolf
March 17th, 2011, 12:03 AM
On my main computers I will stay with 10.04 LTS until a few weeks after 12.04 is released. I may wait until a 12.04.01 is released. 10.04 LTS will get security updates until 13.04; therefore, there is no rush to switch. I will then do a fresh install. I make far to many customizations to my main system for upgrades to work successfully. Upgrades have worked on computers I do not customize as significantly.

I may install 11.04 on a test machine or a VM so that I can learn how to help people having problems with 11.04.

I installed 10.10 on a VM for testing and troubleshooting in order to provide help on the forums.

I find that there is a lot I can learn about computing; such as, virtualization, cloud computing, cluster management, integration of services (LDAP, AD, DNS, NTP, Load Balancers, SOA Appliances, ...), etc., without having to deal with the problems of upgrading my computers every 6 to 18 months.

When I was 20 years old, 6 months seemed like a long time ago. Now, it seems like last week. :)

chessnerd
March 17th, 2011, 05:31 AM
My main PC, the laptop that I'm posting this from, is going to be sticking with 10.04 for the foreseeable future. My Lucid install is too solid for me to give it up. :D

My desktop, on the other hand, will be moving to 11.04 a week after the release. It isn't my main PC, as it's at home while I'm in college, so technically my answer is still "Not going to." I'm not going to upgrade it for a week because I'll be at a week long retreat during the first week of May and don't want to bother with upgrading before I go.

You may expect my support threads during the second week of May. :P

Objekt
March 17th, 2011, 05:36 AM
No thanks. I'm tired of stuff getting broken that wasn't, and some old stuff that was, staying broken, with each new release. Next LTS, maybe.

Luinar
March 17th, 2011, 01:09 PM
I went for 'day of release', although what I really mean is 'as soon as possible after the day of release when I have a spare day to devote to tinkering with computers'.

Always done clean installs in the past, but going to go the upgrade route this time to see if it really is as disaster prone as I've been led to believe. And yes, whilst I have no complaints about 10.10 and it is running perfectly for me, I'm terrible with new software releases. If I don't have the latest version then it will just bug me each time I boot my computer. :P

slackthumbz
March 17th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Clean install at beta 1 or 2 into a test partition on one of my boxes, if I like it I'll wipe the test partition and do a reinstall to my main root partition.

We shall see.

Zero2Nine
March 17th, 2011, 01:52 PM
I went for 'day of release', although what I really mean is 'as soon as possible after the day of release when I have a spare day to devote to tinkering with computers'.

Always done clean installs in the past, but going to go the upgrade route this time to see if it really is as disaster prone as I've been led to believe. And yes, whilst I have no complaints about 10.10 and it is running perfectly for me, I'm terrible with new software releases. If I don't have the latest version then it will just bug me each time I boot my computer. :P

Think I go for the same route but a little bit later. Am also working on my thesis now and that's not a good moment to start messing with the computer :) When I have time in the summer I'll download and burn the disk anyway but first try to do an update. If it gives much problems I'll perform a clean install.

Chilli Bob
March 17th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Will be sticking with 10.04 for a while yet. It's just too perfect. Will no doubt give 11.04 a test drive sometime, but see no real reason to change.

gdiloren
March 17th, 2011, 03:33 PM
I'm concerned that "newer" upgrades are for a better Internet security, that's why I want to upgrade, apart from the new exciting features of 11.04 (like FF 4 faster than ever and desktop Utility....) but I think that given the possibility to upgrade through Update Manager on April 28th we should be able to do this without messing up the computer. I mean I've seen Upgrades from XP to Vista or Vista to Windows 7. It depends the download. Of course, a clean install of 11.04 is better, and re-customizing the pc not so hard after all but I'm a bit lazy and would like the possibility to simply upgrade from Update Manager. 10.10 is great but I think 11.04 will be even greater!!!

Philsoki
March 18th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Probably release day. I'll back up all my data and give it a proper run on my main. See where things go from there...

Does Xubuntu 11..04 come out on the same day as Ubuntu?

uRock
March 18th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Does Xubuntu 11..04 come out on the same day as Ubuntu?
I believe so and Xubuntu is looking great.

scouser73
March 18th, 2011, 03:23 PM
I've installed 11.04, really loving it and I like Unity.

rvchari
March 18th, 2011, 04:04 PM
i am a linux lover and love to install instantly on the new release just to have the look and feel. as in the case of 10.10, i installed the 2nd day of its release !
but now that i ve tweaked and set up with all the needed apps, wonder if i ll b waiting longer or my inkling will make me have a go immediately after release !
if 11.04 has nothing new to offer apart from unity2d i may not go in for it and rather wait for the next LTS ! time will tell...

linuxforartists
March 18th, 2011, 10:18 PM
I wont be installing it ever, unless there is an upgrade compelling enough to justify an upgrade. I learned my lesson the hard way... upgrading kernels breaks VMWare, wireless, video codecs, flash, etc and it's just too tedious to have to fix all that stuff each time a new kernel is released.

I second this. The number of times I had system problems when I first started with Ubuntu nearly drove me away from Linux. The day I figured out the problem was the kernel updates and turned them off was a milestone. Smooth sailing ever since!

Spr0k3t
March 19th, 2011, 01:22 AM
I've got one of my systems running 11.04 since alpha 1 release... still quite a few problems but they are getting ironed out quickly. I'm not a huge fan of Unity... but then I really can't stand using dock bars, global menus, or quick launchers (like gnome-do) so it makes sense that I'm not a fan. Classic mode is really nice though... makes me feel right at home.

sandyd
March 19th, 2011, 01:32 AM
Never.
I use bleeding edge gentoo for my systems, and my servers run ubuntu.
However, the last time I decided on doing an upgrade to a ubuntu server, the Xen virtual machines wouldn't work later on, and took me 3 days to get it back online.

robro
March 19th, 2011, 01:37 AM
Gonna upgrade 1 - 3 months after the release, gotta make sure they get the bugs out :)
(also 10.10 (maverick meerkat) has been working fine, might wait until 11.10 :))

gdiloren
March 20th, 2011, 05:07 AM
To be honest I upgraded my secondary computer (seldom used though) from 10.10 to 11.04 alpha 3. Took 3 hours on a 2002 Intel pc and a 3MB/s connection (mirror is slow). Everything is fine, the update manager seems a bit slower but it'll improve. So what else. I already changed for Libre office on my 10.10 and Firefox 4 (much faster!!!) will be available for 10.10 normally in a few days so I really don't see the need to upgrade. The desktop, I haven't seen anything changed at all and I choose not to keep my settings. So I guess it doesn't cost to try but you loose nothing if you wait 11.10.:confused:

siimo
March 20th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Probably never. My main PC runs Windows 7 x64 as I need it to get real work done. But I do run Ubuntu in a VM for various things like testing Linux or using it as a test app server.