PDA

View Full Version : Finding mac addresses of routers with Palm Pixi/Plus?

fleaaccela
March 15th, 2011, 11:17 AM
I own a Palm Pixi. Since it runs on a Linux kernal, I figured someone here might know something.

I would like to know if an app exists out there that can let me look at the mac addresses of all wifi networks my phone can potentially connect to. I can see the BSSID, but not the mac address. Can't figure out a way.

On a side note, can't seem to find any sort of app in any way that has any sort of networking utilities. What's up with that? Am I just not finding them?

Not that I expected my Pixi to do anything like that, but with the hardware capabilities it has, I would think simple networking tools would be available for sale for it at least. I hear homebrew apps require things like running stuff as root. I also hear running things in root isn't a great idea, and root and sudo are not the same ballpark.

Lucradia
March 15th, 2011, 01:49 PM
You can't run sudo on smartphones, they require root for anything big time, no questions, no flexibility.

Why do you need the MAC Address of a router. Surely you could just ask the IT Professionals, or the owners of the routers to let you take a peek at the routers? Or did you plan to hack them? A real smartphone could connect to them without mac address exceptions, etc. like an Android phone. There's no reason to need the MAC Address of a router either, it is sent in the background to and from the router to your phone or mobile device. It normally isn't needed as such because of the keys we use to connect to Wi-Fi nowadays. IE: WEP, WPA (WKIP / AES) or AOSS / 802.11e.

Unfortunately for you; to get a MAC Address of a good router, you'd need to get into its Admin Panel, or see it physically.