PDA

View Full Version : Satellite dish v Aerial for digital tv

Sylos
March 15th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Hello all.

I have been looking into a problem and cant seem to find an answer. Its not an ubuntu related issue but I thought someone on here will no doubt know the answer.

I have just moved house and am having some issues picking up TV signal. I have a number of digital freeview set top boxes that I use and the house has an existing satellite dish that I want to use. I have tried plugging the boxes into the satellite cable but get no signal.

Is it possible to use a dish for the freeview digital tv signal or is the dish just not suitable to pick up the signal type.

Thanks

Grenage
March 15th, 2011, 09:43 AM
The two aren't compatible, as far as I am aware. We recently had to decide on whether to go for freesat (existing Sky dish) or freeview (we'd need an aerial).

mips
March 15th, 2011, 11:17 AM
No, you cannot plug a satellite dish into a DTT receiver.

3rdalbum
March 15th, 2011, 11:58 AM
If you're having issues getting a reasonable TV signal through your antenna, then try a brand-new aerial (RF) cable.

RF cables get brittle over time. When you unplugged your TV to move house, you would have flexed the RF cable somewhat, so it could be mostly broken on the inside due to the brittleness, especially if the same cable has been doing the job for five years without being moved.

Try a different cable, preferably one that doesn't look incredibly cheap. When I was in the industry I used to like Isix cables, they're a mid-range cable that looks good, works well and doesn't cost the earth.

Lucradia
March 15th, 2011, 01:47 PM
If you're having issues getting a reasonable TV signal through your antenna, then try a brand-new aerial (RF) cable.

RF cables get brittle over time. When you unplugged your TV to move house, you would have flexed the RF cable somewhat, so it could be mostly broken on the inside due to the brittleness, especially if the same cable has been doing the job for five years without being moved.

Try a different cable, preferably one that doesn't look incredibly cheap. When I was in the industry I used to like Isix cables, they're a mid-range cable that looks good, works well and doesn't cost the earth.

Often, in stubborn places such as downtown cities, you must flex the Coaxial cable to near impossible levels to get a proper signal. Heck, one station couldn't come in for over 6 months until a month or two ago. Silly FOX. But yes, the coaxial's strength may need to be looked into.

Digital Converter Boxes, as said, cannot be hooked into SAT or Digital Cable, due to their signals already being as such. It would also be nice to know where the OP lives. Here, we call it Over-The-Air signals, not freeview, or whatever that is.

Sylos
March 15th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

Im a UK resident (hence the freeview).

I had a feeling that the two were not compatible but thought it was worth a shot. I have a fancy digital aerial waiting (the one I previously used) but thought I might be able to avoid having to clamber up and attach the brute.

Cheers for the input.

Lucradia
March 15th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

Im a UK resident (hence the freeview).

I had a feeling that the two were not compatible but thought it was worth a shot. I have a fancy digital aerial waiting (the one I previously used) but thought I might be able to avoid having to clamber up and attach the brute.

Cheers for the input.

The aerial isn't the hardware that is compatible with digital signals. The Teleset has to be. Even if you have a Digital Antenna of sorts, the Teleset must be compatible, lest you require a DTV Box.

Grenage
March 16th, 2011, 09:37 AM
The aerial isn't the hardware that is compatible with digital signals. The Teleset has to be. Even if you have a Digital Antenna of sorts, the Teleset must be compatible, lest you require a DTV Box.

He has Freeview boxes, he'll be fine.