PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] VirtualBox - feeling stupid again

rpaskudniak
March 15th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Greetings.

I am posting this in the "Desktop Environments" section on the theory that the VirtualBox is indeed a desktop environment.

Bottom lines first - maybe it will make the whole essay below superfluous.

Do I need to use the Windows-7 installation disk to install the "guest" OS into this virtual box? (This is the main question.) I suspect it is, after the prompts I get trying to run my guest OS for the first time.
Since I have a dual-boot anyway - with Win-7 as the main OS on the machine - is there any way I can configure Virtualbox to use the existing Win-7 installation as a guest OS, without damaging the Windows partitions?

Now the rest of the story:

I just deleted about 100 lines of torturous details, realizing nobody will want to read through all that. Please, someone, confirm my suspicion in question 1. Question 2 is optional - I have a 400GB mounted file system on a huge Seagate drive for my guest "hard drive".

Thanks.

ChipOManiac
March 15th, 2011, 08:36 AM
What is in the ".vdi" file? The Win7 install disk?

mlentink
March 15th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Do I need to use the Windows-7 installation disk to install the "guest" OS into this virtual box? (This is the main question.) I suspect it is, after the prompts I get trying to run my guest OS for the first time.

A virtual machine is just like a real one. So yes, you need to install an operating system. Please remember to set up the cd or iso in VBox before installation
Since I have a dual-boot anyway - with Win-7 as the main OS on the machine - is there any way I can configure Virtualbox to use the existing Win-7 installation as a guest OS, without damaging the Windows partitions?

Don't know about Win7, but technically this should be possible though highly inadvisable, because yes, you will run a high risk of borking your existing installation. Furthermore, you virtual hardware is completely different from your real hardware, so you will have problems with registration. Microsoft will consider this a second installation where only one is allowed.

Edit: Perhaps you could share what it is you want to achieve?