PDA

View Full Version : Copy, Paste problems

shawn.abdushakur
March 14th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Hi All,

Does anyone know why I can't copy from Google Chrome and paste to the terminal?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Shawn

Copper Bezel
March 15th, 2011, 01:40 AM
Are you hitting Control + Shift + V in the terminal? For whatever reason, it uses that instead of Control + V.

shawn.abdushakur
March 15th, 2011, 02:29 AM
Sure am. I've been able to copy and paste in all other versions of Ubuntu, but not this one for some reason.

mcduck
March 15th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Does primary selection work?

(Highlight what you want to copy & middle-click where you want to paste it)

If not, are both programs running as the same user? Can you cross-check them with other applications (copy&paste from Chrome to some other app, and copy&paste from some other app to terminal?)

shawn.abdushakur
March 15th, 2011, 01:12 PM
I'm using a netbook, so I'm not sure how to accomplish middle-clicking, but I will cross-check with other apps when I get home. Thanks.

mcduck
March 15th, 2011, 01:16 PM
I'm using a netbook, so I'm not sure how to accomplish middle-clicking, but I will cross-check with other apps when I get home. Thanks.

left+right mouse button together should work the same as middle-click.

edit: Depending on your touchpad's multi-touch capabilities, a three-finger tap works as well.

shawn.abdushakur
March 15th, 2011, 01:25 PM
:) I was referring to the touchpad, but maybe I can steal a mouse from another computer and try it that way. But now that I'm thinking about it, isn't pasting in the terminal via mouse done by right-clicking?

mcduck
March 15th, 2011, 01:35 PM
:) I was referring to the touchpad, but maybe I can steal a mouse from another computer and try it that way. But now that I'm thinking about it, isn't pasting in the terminal via mouse done by right-clicking?

There are many ways to paste in a terminal, just like there are many ways to copy&paste in any other application.

Actually the only difference between terminals and other apps is that the keyboard shortcuts are different (As Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V already have other built-in purpose in command-line interfaces)

So you can do it via right-click menu, or the window menu, or using keyboard shortcuts, or with the primary selection method I described. It's pretty much up to which method you like best. I personally find the primary selection to be the easiest method for Copy&paste in Linux, terminal or not.

shawn.abdushakur
March 16th, 2011, 12:06 AM
So copy/paste from Chrome to gedit works. Something I just discovered; copying and pasting works in the terminal, but only by right-clicking and selecting paste; it doesn't work with Ctrl+Shift+V or from the Edit menu. I haven't connected a mouse yet though to test the middle-click.