PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Netbook vs. x86 vs. x64

Shibblet
March 14th, 2011, 10:48 PM
I did a recent trial at home. I purchased a Dell Mini 1012. This is equipped with an Atom N450 Processor.

I loaded the Ubuntu Netbook Edition first, and it seemed to run just fine, in Gnome and Unity.

I then loaded the standard desktop edition, and it ran similar to the Netbook version in Gnome.

Then I loaded the x64 version, and WHOA, the performance increase is very noticable.

I thought that the version differences only had to do with memory allocation. Is the x64 version that much faster on a 64-Bit processor?

LowSky
March 14th, 2011, 11:20 PM
On a netbook memory allocation is a very big deal.

Paqman
March 14th, 2011, 11:30 PM
I thought that the version differences only had to do with memory allocation. Is the x64 version that much faster on a 64-Bit processor?

64-bit is noticeably faster for some tasks, yes. There's no reason to throttle a 64-bit chip down by using 32-bit software IMO.

MadCow108
March 15th, 2011, 12:55 AM
I did a recent trial at home. I purchased a Dell Mini 1012. This is equipped with an Atom N450 Processor.

I loaded the Ubuntu Netbook Edition first, and it seemed to run just fine, in Gnome and Unity.

I then loaded the standard desktop edition, and it ran similar to the Netbook version in Gnome.

Then I loaded the x64 version, and WHOA, the performance increase is very noticable.

the differences probably is due to the 64 bit versions being compiled only for amd64 and thus the compiler can utilize the 8 registers this architecture has more efficiently than it could when compiling for i386 where it must assume only 4 registers.

that the addressable memory space is larger should have nothing to do with it (in contrary it could even decrease speed in certain border cases)

ssam
March 15th, 2011, 01:40 AM
the differences probably is due to the 64 bit versions being compiled only for amd64 and thus the compiler can utilize the 8 registers this architecture has more efficiently than it could when compiling for i386 where it must assume only 4 registers.

that the addressable memory space is larger should have nothing to do with it (in contrary it could even decrease speed in certain border cases)

there are more registers than 4 and 8, but otherwise that is right. also all x86-64 chips have SSE so that can be enabled.

Shibblet
March 15th, 2011, 02:43 AM

Well, I had thrown an extra gig of ram in there for good measure. So it has 2 gigs now. Ubuntu still utilizes memory a lot more efficiently than Windows does, so 2 gigs does me just fine.

x64 does use more system memory than x86 does, but the difference is minimal.