PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] 10.04 or 10.10 or wait?

freebourg
March 14th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Another title would be: To Wait Natty or Not To Wait Natty?

First of all, my own PC always run the latest release.
I think if you use it at home and you don't rely on people to install it, it's better to use the current version.

However, I've been hired in a firm recently and they don't care which OS I use as long as my job is done but I don't want to install everything now and do it again late April, if the upgrade goes wrong. (It did twice on 3 of my PCs some years ago).
And I'll need to do it after opening hours by the way.

Then would you advise me to:
1. Wait until 10.04 Natty release? => This means using WinXP :(
2. Use 10.10 until then
3. Use 10.04 as long as software updates don't need newer not-backported libraries (say all the Java EE stuff) and such

Thanks.

rlj1965
March 14th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Another title would be: To Wait Natty or Not To Wait Natty?

First of all, my own PC always run the latest release.
I think if you use it at home and you don't rely on people to install it, it's better to use the current version.

However, I've been hired in a firm recently and they don't care which OS I use as long as my job is done but I don't want to install everything now and do it again late April, if the upgrade goes wrong. (It did twice on 3 of my PCs some years ago).
And I'll need to do it after opening hours by the way.

Then would you advise me to:
1. Wait until 10.04 Natty release? => This means using WinXP :(
2. Use 10.10 until then
3. Use 10.04 as long as software updates don't need newer not-backported libraries (say all the Java EE stuff) and such

Thanks.

Is it safe to assume you meant to asking 1. wait for 11.04?

freebourg
March 16th, 2011, 01:08 AM
Sorry I was actually talking about 11.04

I now realize the whole question is: Are Ubuntu major version upgrades safe?

dFlyer
March 16th, 2011, 01:14 AM
I've been using 10.10 since it came out and have found it very stable for my use. If I were to use a os for work I would stay with the LTS version as it's support covered the longest.