PDA

View Full Version : Which mobile?

pinballwizard
March 14th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Cause I value your opinion...

I need a new phone.

I was thinking HTC Desire, Nokia N8, or Galaxy 9000...

Please don't suggest apple anything, I'd rather puke in my boot.

Also, I was looking at the motorola milestone, same as the Galaxy, I like that Gorilla Glass...

RiceMonster
March 14th, 2011, 04:17 PM
iPhone

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/174/trollface.png

pinballwizard
March 14th, 2011, 04:24 PM
iPhone

Shot! Have to go rinse my boot out now...

pinballwizard
March 14th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Anyone got anything better to suggest than ifone?

LowSky
March 14th, 2011, 07:23 PM
milestone is a bit old.

I would go with HTC. The Sense UI is amazing addon to Android. And if you get tired of the stock UI, rooting and using Cyangenmod is very simple in most cases.

or3x
March 14th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Galaxy S is great, especially with the latest update (2.2.1), just remember to install launcher pro/adw launcher to get rid of the awful touchwiz homescreen;)

nothingspecial
March 14th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Do what I did

1. Realise you have a computer already.

2. Notice that when all's said and done these phones with all their shiny apps are actually a bit rubbish.

3. Chuck you android phone in the bin

4. Buy a Samsung E1080 for less than £10. It makes/receives calls and sms messages and ..er, that's it. Doesn't matter if you loose it and nobody is going to nick it. You won't waste money on stupid apps that you don't need.

Next time you are bored on the train, open a book, get your mp3 player out or buy a magazine ;)

forrestcupp
March 14th, 2011, 08:14 PM
You could get the HTC Thunderbolt, if you don't mind waiting anywhere from 1 week to 10 years for it to be released. :)

LowSky
March 14th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Do what I did

1. Realise you have a computer already.

2. Notice that when all's said and done these phones with all their shiny apps are actually a bit rubbish.

3. Chuck you android phone in the bin

4. Buy a Samsung E1080 for less than £10. It makes/receives calls and sms messages and ..er, that's it. Doesn't matter if you loose it and nobody is going to nick it. You won't waste money on stupid apps that you don't need.

Next time you are bored on the train, open a book, get your mp3 player out or buy a magazine ;)

But what happens when your phone is your mp3 player, your makeshift kindle or nook, camera, and phone? What is more cynical? Carrying four items or just one?

AlanR8
March 14th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Have an HTC Legend and since Android "Froyo" it's a piece of p### to tether to my laptop.

HTC is great and If I could have got a Desire last year I would have but they were in great demand. I also ike Samsung as a tech company and IF I were changing my phone today would probably choose the Samsung Galaxy.

One of the MAJOR things about an Android phone is Google Navigation that just works SO well and is for free!!!!!!! Got rid of my TomTom, just not needed....

Donalt2010
March 14th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Ive a HTC Desire flashed with Lee Droid.. Its got the sense UI which I really enjoy. So I'd say go with HTC. Although the battery life on the Desire is pretty rubbish.

treesurf
March 15th, 2011, 01:08 PM
If you want to install custom ROMS don't get a Motorola phone. They lock down the bootloader. HTC Desire is a great phone, and you'll be able to tinker with it to your heart's content.

I'm running Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread on my HTC Hero right now. :D

NCLI
March 15th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Get an HTC phone, then stick Cyanogenmod on it.

Lucradia
March 15th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Ive a HTC Desire flashed with Lee Droid.. Its got the sense UI which I really enjoy. So I'd say go with HTC. Although the battery life on the Desire is pretty rubbish.

The Sense UI can be duplicated even on DROID, without rooting. I know, my DROID X emulated the sense UI (even the zoom-out workspace feature and everything.) You just have to look hard enough in the Android Market.

Even the applications list changed when I did that, I could paginate it. Anyway, if you must choose between those three phones, don't. US Cellular has horrible nationwide coverage in comparison to even Sprint. T-Mobile has even worse than US Cellular. Virgin Mobile's Data coverage is horrid (so is T-Mobile's.)

But if you don't mind roaming, it'll be fine.

pinballwizard
March 15th, 2011, 03:29 PM
US Cellular has horrible nationwide coverage in comparison to even Sprint. T-Mobile has even worse than US Cellular. Virgin Mobile's Data coverage is horrid (so is T-Mobile's.)

Never even heard of some of those, being in Africa and all;)

Anyway, thanks for the replies, picked up a GalaxyS this afternoon.

PatrickMoore
March 15th, 2011, 03:53 PM
I work with the desire alot and I think its a really nice phone. I am growing weary with samsung having a work issued r880 and seeing many weird issues with the galaxy s(could be our branding and network though) lg has a really nice dual screen phone coming out too but probably not for a few months

PatrickMoore
March 15th, 2011, 03:57 PM
:popcorn:

US Cellular has horrible nationwide coverage in comparison to even Sprint. T-Mobile has even worse than US Cellular. Virgin Mobile's Data coverage is horrid (so is T-Mobile's.)

Us cellular has service in 26 states but all the current plans support nationwide roaming free of charge. The are great in the midwest.

But hey they do sign my paychecks