PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Problem with post-Installation RAID 0 for two HDD (SATA)

Farrukhjon
March 14th, 2011, 04:45 AM
Hi guys!, A have problem with post-installation RAID0 for my two SATA HDD. In partition step i choose configuration RAID0, success create RAID MD0:
MD0 / 312 gB
/dev/sda1---swap
/dev/sda5---/ (boot)
/dev/sdb1---swap
/dev/sdb5---/ (boot)
When i logged as root and try:
grub-install --no-floppy /dev/sda
grub-install --no-floppy /dev/sdb
for degraded booting but the console print I/O error f0 --missing...and more info...
Help me , where i have do wrong.

Hedgehog1
March 14th, 2011, 05:07 AM
Raid 0, or striping look like this across two drives:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9b/RAID_0.svg/150px-RAID_0.svg.png

Once the set up, the two 'striped' drives need to present themselves as a single 'larger' drive.

So a RAID0 of two 160 gig drives would appear as a single 320 gig drive (/dev/sdb).

Your setup:

MD0 / 312 gB
/dev/sda1---swap
/dev/sda5---/ (boot)
/dev/sdb1---swap
/dev/sdb5---/ (boot)

should really look like this:

/dev/sda <- tiny boot & OS drive (Possibly SSD?), 20-40 gigs
/dev/sdb <- Stripped set of RAID0 drives, which holds '/home/ & 'SWAP'

What RAID card are you using to make the RAID0? Do you have a separate boot drive/SSD?

The Hedge

:KS

Farrukhjon
March 14th, 2011, 05:12 AM
I'm using mdadm, ie software RAID and i guide using this tutorial https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SoftwareRAID

Hedgehog1
March 14th, 2011, 05:20 AM
Ahh yes.. Software raid...

The guide indicates that:

Warning: the /boot filesystem cannot use any softRAID level other than 1 with the stock Ubuntu bootloader

If you are booting from the SOFTWARE raid, you must use RAID 1.

Are you booting from the software RAID?

The Hedge

Farrukhjon
March 14th, 2011, 05:28 AM
Yes i use sofware RAID, and i need to up degraded boot in my case :
two hdd (sda and sdb) each hdd have size of 160 gb and md0 uped each /dev/sdX have boot flag. But i whant boot my system if my first hdd would be halt down. Recomend me how do it.

Hedgehog1
March 14th, 2011, 05:47 AM
The least-painful way is this:

3 drives; the two SATA drives you already have, and a small SATA drive

/dev/sda <-- small SATA drive, Mounts '/' & (and therefore '/boot', too)

/dev/sdb & /dev/sdc (they make up your RAID, and mount '/home' & 'SWAP'

This gives you a predicable boot drive (one small SATA) and the RAID for speed.

The Hedge

p.s. According to the Guide, they suggest 2 RAIDs, a little RAID 1 to boot, and then your RAID 0,5 or 6 for bulk data storage.

Hedgehog1
March 14th, 2011, 05:52 AM
By the way, you likely already know this, but just in case:

RAID 0 is fast, but very risky. If any one drive fails, all data is lost.

RAID 1:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b7/RAID_1.svg/150px-RAID_1.svg.png

Will give your even better Reading performance, but slower Write performance. However, it will survive a hard drive failure.

It does mean you need two 320 gig drives to get a 320 RAID 1. But it is really worth it.

Also, software RAID is fine for learning. Hot-swappable hardware RAID is the best choice for critical servers.

The Hedge

Farrukhjon
March 14th, 2011, 05:55 AM
Can i remove my MD0 RAID device without loss my data and recreate new RAID1 for mirrorize and degraded boot ? for example:

mdadm --create /dev/md0 --chunk=64 --level=raid1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1

Hedgehog1
March 14th, 2011, 06:00 AM
Can i remove my MD0 RAID device without loss my data and recreate new RAID1 for mirrorize and degraded boot ? for example:

mdadm --create /dev/md0 --chunk=64 --level=raid1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1

Yes - this is a very good solution using the hardware you have on hand. It will give you a 160 gig RAID, and it will boot and still be a RAID.

The Hedge

p.s. The reason the software raid needs RAID1 is that right as it boots, it really uses /dev/sda by itself to boot, so that disk needs to be 'complete' and not striped.

Farrukhjon
March 14th, 2011, 06:09 AM
Thanks, i would try it, and thank you very much, i glad that discuss with you. Good luck!

Hedgehog1
March 14th, 2011, 06:11 AM
We are here if you need us again! Drop in any time...

Best of luck!

The Hedge