PDA

View Full Version : What to buy? (smartphone/tablet/laptop)

kikoff
March 14th, 2011, 02:35 AM
This is (I think) my first post, or at least thread in this forums. And I am not even sure it is the correct fora to air my question. But I have found so much useful information about pretty much everything in these forums before that I figured I could get a good answer to this as well.

The thing is. I am at the moment a university student, going for a doctorate in philosophy. Come August I will have to travel som two hours by train each way to an forth the university. This is time I figure is best spent working.

I am therefore looking to buy a handheld device to suit all my needs. Wether to buy a smartphone, a tablet/slate/netbook, or laptop is at the heart of the question. As well as, in addition to the aforementioned, what model would be the best choice.

I already have a fairly powerful desktop computer and a ps3 for all heavy workload, gaming and entertainment purposes. So the tasks left for the handheld device are:

Mail
Facebook/Twitter/other social media
Music (spotify/last.fm/mp3's, etc)
Movies/TV-series
Reading a lot of text's/pdf's
Some writing (up to a 1000 word text's)
Editing text's
Possibly calling (both regular phoning and skype)
Texting/IM'ing
Photo possibility/webcam

There are other diverce tasks of course but those are the primary ones.

The price of the device is of no matter. The best specs and useability however is. And battery life is of course of the utmost importance since I will go 3-4 hours between each time I can recharge it.

I will of course do a fair amount of research on my own but if you have some solutions I would be most obliged.