PDA

View Full Version : Ever had a stupid computer moment?

weasel fierce
March 13th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Time to share stories about stupid things you did, when you knew better :)

Mostly to cheer me up, as I hosed my system last night.

The perfect storm of "Stuff I should have known better" :

Updated from 10.10 to 11.4 alpha. This worked pretty good.

Decided I wanted to check out gnome-shell.

Hm, version in repo's dont work yet.

Okay, add the PPA from the gnome3 guys.

Install it, and a bunch of other updates.

Well, gnome-shell doesn't work and now Gnome looks like it did when I installed Warty Warthog years ago

Well, Ive been meaning to go with KDE for a while, so install that, and remove all the gnome stuff.

KDE runs great, if a bit slow. We'll use it for a week or two, and then decide.

This morning, my computer refuses to boot, except, possibly, to a command line (half and half chance it seems).

In hindsight, should have known better :)

So cheer me up with stories of your stupidity :D

leviathan8
March 13th, 2011, 07:36 PM
I had my stupid moment when I was trying hundred of programs to adjust my touchpad speed (though none of them worked) and then I realized I could actually do that with gnome-mouse-properties.

andymorton
March 13th, 2011, 07:39 PM
A couple of months ago I clicked on the wrong folder and deleted all my music. A lot of it was from CDs I no longer have or from itunes downloads using my ipod touch, so I can't get about 500-700 songs back. I'm still grieving.
To add to the stupidity, a couple of days before I'd changed my settings so files were automatically deleted instead of going to the trash. If I hadn't have done that it would've been fine. :(

andy

weasel fierce
March 13th, 2011, 07:49 PM
A couple of months ago I clicked on the wrong folder and deleted all my music. A lot of it was from CDs I no longer have or from itunes downloads using my ipod touch, so I can't get about 500-700 songs back. I'm still grieving.
To add to the stupidity, a couple of days before I'd changed my settings so files were automatically deleted instead of going to the trash. If I hadn't have done that it would've been fine. :(

andy

Thats the spirit :)

On my old computer way back, I once formatted a hard drive instead of a floppy disk. Skipped straight through all the warnings too

Dustin2128
March 13th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Accidentally set vim to be the default opener of all files in thunar. Top that!

nothingspecial
March 13th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Don't do this -- really don't [-X

find / -type f -exec mv '{}' ./ \;

I did :oops:

3Miro
March 13th, 2011, 11:16 PM
I had couple of beers after a very long day and instead of going to bed immediately I decided to make Transmission start under Gentoo at boot time. The issue was that I had to make it start as the appropriate user. Ended up destroying the entire layout of my system and then having to reinstall everything.

Naiki Muliaina
March 14th, 2011, 12:04 AM
Yes, I once installed Ubuntu 4.10.

Was quite a shock after coming from Mandriva which was nice and happy and user friendly.

Old_Grey_Wolf
March 14th, 2011, 12:29 AM
Yes.

I was testing out a fix before posting it in one of the help forums.

Well, at least I only messed up my computer.

Obviously, I didn't post the fix. :oops: