PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu desktop Login problem

monsieurvinodh
March 13th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Dear Friends,

I'm using Ubuntu for last one year and I'm completely immersed in it. My ubuntu version is 2.4 ( pretty older version ) but it was functioning quite well for last one year since installation.

Since yesterday morning I'm facing desktop GNU login problem. I've valuable scripts inside the server.

Scenario: GNU login prompting for logon password infinite number of times though I provide it correctly. No authentication error reported unless I purposefully enter wrong password.

Once I enter correct password, the screen will turn black for 3 seconds and then again it will come to the same logon prompt. I tried infinite number of times but couldn't get away with the problem. Then I logged in safe mode and entered through command prompt.

UserName: linudworld
passoword: ********

logged in successfully and I'm able to see all the files and folder structures. But when I switch back to GNU mode Ctrl+Alt+F7
again same problem. I even tried disabling logon password editing
sudo suvido file but still facing same problem.

I checked in ubuntu forum and many users faced this problem. But no solution. Kindly suggest me whether I've to reinstall ubuntu or is there any solution to get away with. I've valuable scripts written (perl and shell) for last one year. Please advice me how to save all those scripts before I reinstall.

Thanks in advance!!

maild id: monsieurvinodh@gmail.com
Phone: +91 8939935456):P

sikander3786
March 13th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Welcome to the forums :-)

The reason behind this problem is probably some update recently. It might be compiz or the graphics driver or something else. Was compiz enabled?

And which graphics card is there? Are any proprietary drivers installed?

For saving your data, you can simply boot an Ubuntu Live CD and mount your Ubuntu partition and copy your data to a safe location.