PDA

View Full Version : Things you discovered you could do in Ubuntu that not many knew about

marl30
March 13th, 2011, 06:41 PM
I expect this to be a great thread, as perhaps someone will share some secret tips I never knew was possible in Ubuntu.

Anyhow, here are mine:

Grouping similar running task/windows. I just found this out a few weeks ago that this is possible in Gnome just like in KDE and Windows. All you have to do is right click on the little separation icon beside the show-desktop icon on the bottom toolbar, then click preferences. Under Window grouping select always group windows.

Task preview window. This is a similar feature to that of KDE and Windows in Gnome. This can be done through Compiz settings. Go to Extras then enable Window preview.

Tabs in Gedit and nautilus.

There are probably more, but those were the ones that came to memory.

Let's hear yours.

Paqman
March 13th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Reinstall all your packages in one go. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=261366) Massive time-saver.

TriBlox6432
March 13th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Download vids from the internet without any additional plugins or anything. Wait for a video (such as youtube) to buffer completely, and it's in your /tmp folder. Just rename it and drag it to wherever you want. ;)

sandyd
March 13th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Use GDDR4 as part of your computer's RAM :D. VERY VERY FAST.

leviathan8
March 13th, 2011, 07:16 PM
ffmpeg -i video.extension music.extension

Easy way of converting music and video.

Alan D
March 13th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Place your web browser cache into ram. You have a ram disk at /dev/shm which grows dynamically up to half the size of your ram.

marl30
March 13th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Reinstall all your packages in one go. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=261366) Massive time-saver.

Hmmm, this seems useful.

Download vids from the internet without any additional plugins or anything. Wait for a video (such as youtube) to buffer completely, and it's in your /tmp folder. Just rename it and drag it to wherever you want. ;)

Thanks for this one. I knew the videos get stored temporarily in cache, but never thought I could use them.

Use GDDR4 as part of your computer's RAM :D. VERY VERY FAST.

What is GDDR4?

Alan D
March 13th, 2011, 07:55 PM
What is GDDR4?

I think Sandyd means DDR4, a type of memory. My new computer is going to have DDR3. and GDDR is whats used in a graphics card.

pi3.1415926535...
March 13th, 2011, 08:25 PM
TriBlox6432
Re: Things you discovered you could do in Ubuntu that not many knew about
Download vids from the internet without any additional plugins or anything. Wait for a video (such as youtube) to buffer completely, and it's in your /tmp folder. Just rename it and drag it to wherever you want.

Unfortunately this no longer works for me, it is most likely because I have upgraded to Chrome and Chromium 9, though I have tried other browsers and they do not seem to work either.

Alan D
March 13th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Unfortunately this no longer works for me, it is most likely because I have upgraded to Chrome and Chromium 9, though I have tried other browsers and they do not seem to work either.

Youtube made changes and they actually push the load indicator behind the actual load point. Then they delete it from your cache when its actually finished. You can try to catch it before that, or use one of the downloaders.

tjeremiah
March 13th, 2011, 10:20 PM

wow, thanks. I was thinking about doing a fresh install after 11.04 alpha. This really helps.

sandyd
March 13th, 2011, 11:14 PM
I think Sandyd means DDR4, a type of memory. My new computer is going to have DDR3. and GDDR is whats used in a graphics card.
and you can use that GDDR4 as RAM: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Swap_on_video_ram

Its called swap, but it just swaps to the GDDR4

weasel fierce
March 13th, 2011, 11:48 PM
Youtube made changes and they actually push the load indicator behind the actual load point. Then they delete it from your cache when its actually finished. You can try to catch it before that, or use one of the downloaders.

Is this a recent thing? I tried it a few weeks ago and it worked fine.

cguy
March 14th, 2011, 02:51 PM
HOW TO SELECT TEXT:
You don't have to keep the left-button of your mouse pressed and move the pointer to the ending of your desired selection. (you could even outrun the desired ending in this way)

INSTEAD:
1. Click at the beginning of the selection.
2. Scroll (if necessary) to whereever the end of your selection is.
3. Press shift and keep it pressed.
4. Click where you want to end your selection.
5. Release all the buttons.

Voila! The text is selected without any troubles.

It works in text editors (ie: editable text fields) and browsers (ie: read-only text fields) alike.

sffvba[e0rt
March 14th, 2011, 03:24 PM
HOW TO SELECT TEXT:
You don't have to keep the left-button of your mouse pressed and move the pointer to the ending of your desired selection. (you could even outrun the desired ending in this way)

INSTEAD:

It works in text editors (ie: editable text fields) and browsers (ie: read-only text fields) alike.

lol... You will be amazed about all the nifty things that can be done with shift and control when it comes to text editing etc. :)

One of my favorite finds of a while back was pressing F3 in Nautilus... give it a go :)

hotrod6657
March 14th, 2011, 05:08 PM
HOW TO SELECT TEXT:

INSTEAD:

This is not just a Ubuntu discovery. Works in Windows too (at least in 7 it does).

Copper Bezel
March 14th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Yep, it's in just about everything, like Ctrl+F. Relatedly, most applications will select the whole sentence (or often the paragraph) if you double-click it.

I thought I was the only one using Maximize Vertically, and it came up in Desktop Environments lately, with a lot of folks seeming fairly excited about it.

I liked finding out that the default application for folders can be changed - I still need Nautilus, but Thunar is a lot lighter if I just need to pull up a folder from Places. Search and Run in the Gnome Menu, too (I use Tracker and XFRun4.)

Random_Dude
March 14th, 2011, 06:29 PM
One of my favorite finds of a while back was pressing F3 in Nautilus... give it a go :)

Interesting.
On Nautilus I like it when it just plays an audio file by putting your mouse cursor over it. The Ctrl+H option for seeing hidden files and folders is also very useful. :)

Cheers :cool:

Ender985
March 14th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Great thread!

My contribution: you can set a number of applications to autostart whenever your computer is turned on, just by adding their command-line call to Preferences -> Startup Applications (for instance the call to launch chromium is "chromium-browser")

If you are willing to spend some time reading DevilsPie documentations, you can even set them to open to a specific workspace at a specific position!

Alan D
March 14th, 2011, 08:17 PM
and you can use that GDDR4 as RAM: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Swap_on_video_ram

Its called swap, but it just swaps to the GDDR4

Thanks, that is awesome.

BHEJU
March 14th, 2011, 08:43 PM
I use small screen laptop. So the screen space is very important for me. And I found out that you can remove the bottom panel and add all the buttons from bottom panel and add them to top panel and end-up with one panel without missing any buttons. And joining that with grouping of icons.. great.

Cheers,

hotrod6657
March 14th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Great thread!

My contribution: you can set a number of applications to autostart whenever your computer is turned on, just by adding their command-line call to Preferences -> Startup Applications (for instance the call to launch chromium is "chromium-browser")

If you are willing to spend some time reading DevilsPie documentations, you can even set them to open to a specific workspace at a specific position!

My favorite for this is going to the options tab in Startup Applications, under Preferences, and selecting "remember currently running application" once I have everything open and positioned where I want it.

Still amazes me how quickly the OS loads even when I ask for a bunch of other applications to be launched compared to even old basic XP installs...

Old_Grey_Wolf
March 15th, 2011, 12:53 AM
This is not strictly an Ubuntu capability. It will work on several Distros.

Using cssh (ClusterSSH) to control a number of xterm windows via a single graphical console window. It allows commands to be interactively run on multiple servers over an ssh connection.

It saves time when you have multiple identically configured computers and you need to update them. You just enter the command once and they all get the command.

I don't remember for sure but I think it has to be installed from the repositories.

Old_Grey_Wolf
March 15th, 2011, 01:06 AM
This is not strictly an Ubuntu capability. It will work on several Distros.

If you have ever been remotely logged into a server and while running a process; such as, compiling a program you lost your connection to the server then you may want to investigate the "screen" command. When you loose your connection to a server the process terminates. Screen lets the process continue to run even when the connection is lost.

Here is a tutorial on "screen" that I found through Google http://www.rackaid.com/resources/linux-screen-tutorial-and-how-to/

NightwishFan
March 15th, 2011, 03:09 AM
Well this is well known to power users, but I love apt-get source - dpkg-buildpackage (set my dpkg-buildflags to use -Os) and I can modify the source code of packages and rebuild them the way I want easy as pie. I managed to customise gmountiso, wine and etc the way I want. :D

Alan D
March 15th, 2011, 11:39 PM
Well this is well known to power users, but I love apt-get source - dpkg-buildpackage (set my dpkg-buildflags to use -Os) and I can modify the source code of packages and rebuild them the way I want easy as pie. I managed to customise gmountiso, wine and etc the way I want. :D

Tell me more about that? I have used apt-get source, but I never did figure out how to make it incorporate ubuntu changes.

el_koraco
March 15th, 2011, 11:59 PM
F3 file browsing is my favourite

johntaylor1887
March 16th, 2011, 12:16 AM

That's no longer true as of ubuntu 10.10. Videos no longer show up there.

I now use VideoDownloaderHelper Firefox add-on for this.

NightwishFan
March 16th, 2011, 12:40 AM
Tell me more about that? I have used apt-get source, but I never did figure out how to make it incorporate ubuntu changes.

It automatically should patch the downloaded source, at least it does for me.

hotrod6657
March 16th, 2011, 01:51 AM

Just tried that and I love it! That's really cool

marl30
March 16th, 2011, 04:03 AM

Great share. I really like this one. :D

teet
March 16th, 2011, 04:11 AM
I'm currently running natty but I think this is a compiz thing. If you middle-click (scrollwheel click) on maximize your program will maximize itself vertically only. If you right-click on maximize your program will maximize itself horizontally only. This is really nifty since I have a widescreen monitor but prefer my browser to be in more of a standard 4:3 format (makes text easier to read).

-teet

wewantutopia
March 16th, 2011, 04:21 AM
What does f3 do in nautilus? It doesn't do anything for me.

Khakilang
March 16th, 2011, 04:59 AM
I am a normal user and I haven't discover anything. I am just here to see what you guys discover.

weasel fierce
March 16th, 2011, 05:01 AM
In Kubuntu, if you paste (middle mouse button f.x.) straight to the desktop, it pops up the notepad widget :)

mkendall
March 16th, 2011, 05:25 AM
Download vids from the internet without any additional plugins or anything. Wait for a video (such as youtube) to buffer completely, and it's in your /tmp folder. Just rename it and drag it to wherever you want.
That's no longer true as of ubuntu 10.10. Videos no longer show up there.

I now use VideoDownloaderHelper Firefox add-on for this.

No. I don't know why it's changed, but it isn't a 10.10 issue. My laptop with 10.10 still caches videos in /tmp. It's my laptop with 9.10 that doesn't. I noticed the change after a Flash update, but I don't know that the update is the cause.

405jayb
March 16th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Using crontab to delete pics every 30min in the .purple folder thats left behind from instant messenger.

Copper Bezel
March 16th, 2011, 05:50 AM
In Kubuntu, if you paste (middle mouse button f.x.) straight to the desktop, it pops up the notepad widget

Coordinately, in Gnome, dragging and dropping text to the desktop creates a .txt file. = )

Alan D
March 16th, 2011, 06:14 AM
Coordinately, in Gnome, dragging and dropping text to the desktop creates a .txt file. = )

This I will find helpful. Thanks.

uRock
March 16th, 2011, 06:24 AM
What does f3 do in nautilus? It doesn't do anything for me.

It is supposed to give you an extra pane so you can browser two folders at once.

wewantutopia
March 16th, 2011, 03:23 PM
It is supposed to give you an extra pane so you can browser two folders at once.

Ah, thanks. It must be in newer versions of nautilus.

I'm still using Karmic

uRock
March 16th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Ah, thanks. It must be in newer versions of nautilus.

I'm still using Karmic

Yup, Karmic doesn't have that capability.