PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can't change screen resolution.

Kin2InuYasha
March 13th, 2011, 08:02 AM
I've recently installed Ubuntu 10.10 on an old Dell computer I have. Everything seems to work fine, but I can't seem to change the screen resolution. In the monitor Preferences it says Monitor:Unknown. It's stuck on 1600x1200 and I'd like it to be closer to 1024x768

I've tried changing the xorg.conf file to no avail. I've been browsing for 3 days now looking for a solution.

Any help is appreciated.

http://hamsterhutt.host56.com/WHATACOM-4ACEC222.xml
These are my specs if it helps any, please ignore the windows installation info because I have it installed alongside ubuntu.

Krytarik
March 13th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Try following this guide:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution#Adding%20undetected%20resolutions

Greetings.

Kin2InuYasha
March 14th, 2011, 04:44 AM
Try following this guide:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution#Adding%20undetected%20resolutions

Greetings.

This method doesn't seem to work for me. I follow the instructions, and I get a new resolution in the monitor preferences, but when I try to load it I get a an error "configure crtc 0 failed" and "The selected configuration could not be applied"

I heard that the crtc 0 failed error was because the refreshrate was too high, but I've set it as low as 30 and it still doesn't work.

Krytarik
March 14th, 2011, 04:48 AM
Are you able to add/apply the mode with the xrandr commands?

Kin2InuYasha
March 14th, 2011, 04:58 AM
Are you able to add/apply the mode with the xrandr commands?

I can add, but cannot apply. It gives me the option of another resolution in the monitor preferences immediately after I complete the commands, but when I try to apply that resolution It gives me an error "The selected configuration could not be applied"

Krytarik
March 14th, 2011, 05:13 AM
You should apply the added mode with the the respective xrandr command, not through the GUI, since I am not sure if that would work also.

Could you please post the output of "xrandr" and which commands you use, and the output of them. Please use the code-tags therefore (the #-button in the editor).

Kin2InuYasha
March 14th, 2011, 05:52 AM
robbie@Whatacomputer:~$ gtf 1024 768 59

# 1024x768 @ 59.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 46.90 kHz; pclk: 63.04 MHz
Modeline "1024x768_59.00" 63.04 1024 1080 1184 1344 768 769 772 795 -HSync +Vsync

robbie@Whatacomputer:~$ xrandr --newmode potatoes 63.04 1024 1080 1184 1344 768 769 772 795 -HSync +Vsync
xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
robbie@Whatacomputer:~$ xrandr --addmode default potatoes
robbie@Whatacomputer:~$ xrandr --output default --mode potatoes
xrandr: Configure crtc 0 failed
robbie@Whatacomputer:~$
This is how I've understood it to the best of my abilities. Like I said, doing this will show the 1024x768 resolution in the monitor preferences, but will not allow me to apply it. It also doesn't save the settings after a reboot.

Krytarik
March 14th, 2011, 06:56 AM
First, you should use "cvt" instead of "gtf" to get the modeline, as I understood that "cvt" is more appropriate.

And I did websearch about the error messages you are getting.

I would like to make sure that you are running the correct driver. Please post the output of:

lshw -c videoAlso check if a "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" is present, it shouldn't. But if it is, post its content as well.

Then, why are you trying to set the mode to specifically 59 Hz? If you just leave that away (default is 60 Hz), does it work then?

Kin2InuYasha
March 14th, 2011, 07:09 AM
root@Whatacomputer:/home/robbie# lshw -c video
*-display
description: VGA compatible controller
product: 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 01
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
resources: irq:16 memory:e8000000-efffffff memory:feb80000-febfffff
It's not an LCD monitor, it's an old crt I had lying around. I know it's capable of a 1024x768 resolution because my Windows installation on it worked, right?

I do have a xorg.conf file, I don't remember whether it was already there, or whether I created it when I was trying to fix this issue a few days ago. It isn't original though.

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
Option "DPMS" "true"
HorizSync 30.0-60.0
VertRefresh 50.0-70.0
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768" "800x600"
EndSubSection

EndSectionAnd as far as the Refreshrate, I thought that maybe 60 was too high and causing problems, so I set it to 59. I will use 60 from now on.

Thank you for responding so quickly.

::UPDATE::
Using cvt with this same method changed nothing.

Krytarik
March 14th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Oh, I somewhat assumed (out of my experience here in the forums), that I'm almost the only one who is still using a CRT. ;-)

And correction: It seems like "cvt" is always the better choice, so take it instead.

Please at least rename your "xorg.conf".

And yes, you are running the intel driver. I would like to upgrade it to the most recent version:
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates (https://launchpad.net/%7Eubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates)

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgradeThen reboot/relogin.

Also, you should always try to run a CRT at least at 75 Hz. Please check if it runs with that mode in Windows7.

Kin2InuYasha
March 14th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Still rockin CRT's and XP's here buddy. lol But yes, I will try that and respond again shortly.

Rename, or delete xorg.conf completely? If that's what you mean, how do I go about doing this?

Krytarik
March 14th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Still rockin CRT's and XP's here buddy. lol But yes, I will try that and respond again shortly.

Rename, or delete xorg.conf completely? If that's what you mean, how do I go about doing this?
LOL How did the "7" slip through?! :P

Ah, since it looks like you copied the xorg.conf from somewhere, simply delete it:

sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.confIt may be that the monitor specs included in it are not correct, and therefore cause those errors.

Kin2InuYasha
March 14th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Well, the update didn't change anything, on windows it lists that the monitor has 60, 70, 75, 85, and 100 MHz capability. I've deleted the xorg.conf file. Rebooted, nothing has changed.

I also tried using the xrandr technique using 75 MHz, rebooted, nothing. Things are looking grim.

Krytarik
March 14th, 2011, 08:28 AM
The changes you make with the xrandr commands don't preserve after shutdown/reboot. If we get them working, you will have to add them to GDM's startup script, see the guide therefore.

When you run the commands now, do you still get the error "xrandr: Configure crtc 0 failed"?

Kin2InuYasha
March 14th, 2011, 08:36 AM
When you run the commands now, do you still get the error "xrandr: Configure crtc 0 failed"?
Yes.

Again, I don't know if this helps or not.. I've downloaded a program from the software center called "Monitor Settings" and when it loads all it says in the window is "The current monitor is in the database but does not support DDC/CI

It then says that I should try plugging the chord into another slot on the monitor..... it's a CRT, the chord is built into it.

Krytarik
March 14th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Again, I don't know if this helps or not.. I've downloaded a program from the software center called "Monitor Settings" and when it loads all it says in the window is "The current monitor is in the database but does not support DDC/CI

It then says that I should try plugging the chord into another slot on the monitor..... it's a CRT, the chord is built into it.
No, that doesn't help.

Thanks for updating your profile, funny pic, and I even see where you live now, really late there now, and quite early again here.

I noticed, that I failed to derive "crtc" to CRT. ;-)

Although it is a bit more complex, I would like to try to set up a correct "xorg.conf", basically in order to pass the monitor specs, HorizSync and VertRefresh, maybe it helps.

To get those values, try both

xvidtunepress "Cancel"!

and

sudo apt-get install hwinfo
hwinfo --monitorThen set up the xorg.conf by following the guide, you may use its included example as template. Then post it here, so that I can take a look.

I need to take a sleep now, maybe you too.

Kin2InuYasha
March 14th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Yeah, I'm used to working at night, so I'm not phased, I will probably stay awake until around noon.

Yes, I will give this a try and report back shortly. I appreciate you sticking with me and not getting frustrated with me. Have a good sleep.

Krytarik
March 14th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Yeah, I'm used to working at night, so I'm not phased, I will probably stay awake until around noon.

I'm also living the other way around currently.

Yes, I will give this a try and report back shortly. I appreciate you sticking with me and not getting frustrated with me. Have a good sleep.
Take your time! Frustrated?...No, I like technical challenges! :)

Kin2InuYasha
March 14th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Well, this is embarrassing. I seem to have broken Ubuntu. I replaced the xorg.conf with one I edited and now Ubuntu won't let me log in, just a black screen.

I'll see if I can find a work around for this.

Grenage
March 14th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Well, this is embarrassing. I seem to have broken Ubuntu. I replaced the xorg.conf with one I edited and now Ubuntu won't let me log in, just a black screen.

Help??!?!

Just delete your xorg.conf (did you back up the old one?) and it should boot up normally. Is the screen just black, or is there a prompt? If it just looks black, the prompt may just be 'off the screen', so try the auto-adjust option on the monitor.

Failing that, you could boot off a Live CD and delete the config file there. Out of curiosity, what monitor make/model do you have?

Kin2InuYasha
March 14th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Out of curiosity, what monitor make/model do you have? It is a KDS Visual Sensations vs190i
It's an old monitor, but it's always worked well and I've never had any problems with it, never flickered or changed color so I'm still rolling with it. I don't have a need to buy an LCD yet...

Also, I'm back up to par, I deleted the xorg.conf with the terminal in safe mode.

Kin2InuYasha
March 14th, 2011, 10:55 AM
That is was hwinfo gives me,

root@Whatacomputer:/home/robbie# hwinfo --monitor
22: None 00.0: 10000 Monitor
[Created at monitor.95]
Unique ID: rdCR.I3KwnjtzyG2
Hardware Class: monitor
Model: "KOREA Monitor"
Vendor: KDS "KOREA"
Device: eisa 0x1985
Resolution: 720x400@70Hz
Resolution: 720x400@88Hz
Resolution: 640x480@60Hz
Resolution: 640x480@67Hz
Resolution: 640x480@72Hz
Resolution: 640x480@75Hz
Resolution: 800x600@56Hz
Resolution: 800x600@60Hz
Resolution: 800x600@72Hz
Resolution: 800x600@75Hz
Resolution: 832x624@75Hz
Resolution: 1024x768@87Hz (interlaced)
Resolution: 1024x768@60Hz
Resolution: 1024x768@70Hz
Resolution: 1024x768@75Hz
Resolution: 1280x1024@75Hz
Resolution: 1600x1200@75Hz
Resolution: 1280x1024@85Hz
Resolution: 1024x768@85Hz
Resolution: 800x600@85Hz
Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown

23: None 00.1: 10000 Monitor
[Created at monitor.95]
Unique ID: jyhG.I3KwnjtzyG2
Hardware Class: monitor
Model: "KOREA Monitor"
Vendor: KDS "KOREA"
Device: eisa 0x1985
Resolution: 720x400@70Hz
Resolution: 720x400@88Hz
Resolution: 640x480@60Hz
Resolution: 640x480@67Hz
Resolution: 640x480@72Hz
Resolution: 640x480@75Hz
Resolution: 800x600@56Hz
Resolution: 800x600@60Hz
Resolution: 800x600@72Hz
Resolution: 800x600@75Hz
Resolution: 832x624@75Hz
Resolution: 1024x768@87Hz (interlaced)
Resolution: 1024x768@60Hz
Resolution: 1024x768@70Hz
Resolution: 1024x768@75Hz
Resolution: 1280x1024@75Hz
Resolution: 1600x1200@75Hz
Resolution: 1280x1024@85Hz
Resolution: 1024x768@85Hz
Resolution: 800x600@85Hz
Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown

And this is my fresh xorg.conf

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "X.org Configured"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
FontPath "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
FontPath "built-ins"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "glx"
Load "dbe"
Load "record"
Load "extmod"
Load "dri2"
Load "dri"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
ModelName "Monitor Model"
EndSection

Section "Device"
### Available Driver options are:-
### Values: <i>: integer, <f>: float, <bool>: "True"/"False",
### <string>: "String", <freq>: "<f> Hz/kHz/MHz",
### <percent>: "<f>%"
### [arg]: arg optional
#Option "AccelMethod" # [<str>]
#Option "DRI" # [<bool>]
#Option "ColorKey" # <i>
#Option "VideoKey" # <i>
#Option "FallbackDebug" # [<bool>]
#Option "Tiling" # [<bool>]
#Option "Shadow" # [<bool>]
#Option "SwapbuffersWait" # [<bool>]
#Option "XvMC" # [<bool>]
#Option "XvPreferOverlay" # [<bool>]
#Option "DebugFlushBatches" # [<bool>]
#Option "DebugFlushCaches" # [<bool>]
#Option "DebugWait" # [<bool>]
#Option "HotPlug" # [<bool>]
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "intel"
BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 1
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 4
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 8
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 15
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 16
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

I'm kind of confused as of what to do next, I'm new to all of this and Ubuntu.

Grenage
March 14th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Give this a whirl:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "KDS"
ModelName "VS190I"
HorizSync 30 - 95
VertRefresh 50 - 120
Modeline "1024x768_75.00" 82.00 1024 1088 1192 1360 768 771 775 805 -hsync +vsync
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "intel"
VendorName "82845G"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Kin2InuYasha
March 14th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Oh my GOD both of you are so sexy right now. IT WORKED;)

I added your code to the xorg file.

I've rebooted a couple of times just to make sure it sticks, and it does. Everything seems to be working fine, I even have a few more resolutions to choose from. This is wonderful, I've been fighting this for like a week.

I really appreciate you building the xorg file for me Grenage, it works beautifully. And Krytarik I couldn't have accomplished this without you man. You're awesome. I would have given up a while back without you helping me. I'd buy you a bottle if I could.

Well, I'm determined to learn how this OS works, so I'm going to start on the linux "How to" courses. I appreciate both of you.:D Thank you.

Grenage
March 14th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Oh my GOD both of you are so sexy right now. IT WORKED;)

I added your code to the xorg file.

I've rebooted a couple of times just to make sure it sticks, and it does. Everything seems to be working fine, I even have a few more resolutions to choose from. This is wonderful, I've been fighting this for like a week.

I really appreciate you building the xorg file for me Grenage, it works beautifully. And Krytarik I couldn't have accomplished this without you man. You're awesome. I would have given up a while back without you helping me. I'd buy you a bottle if I could.

Well, I'm determined to learn how this OS works, so I'm going to start on the linux "How to" courses. I appreciate both of you.:D Thank you.

Glad to hear that it helped. The config only took about 2 minutes to write; they are very simply really, I have a basic guide here (http://www.grenage.com/xorg.html) if you're interested.

Kudos to Krytarik for doing far more legwork than I.

Kin2InuYasha
March 14th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Glad to hear that it helped. The config only took about 2 minutes to write; they are very simply really, I have a basic guide here (http://www.grenage.com/xorg.html) if you're interested.

Kudos to Krytarik for doing far more legwork than I.
I will definitely bookmark that. I will probably need to reference it if I install it on another computer with a monitor similar to this one. Thank you.

Kin2InuYasha
March 14th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Actually there is one more issue, It's not relevant to this thread, but when I go to youtube, the flash player doesn't play it properly, It's grey/black, grainy, and has lines through the video's. It didn't start doing this until the resolution changed. I've tried reinstalling the flash player, and changing the Refresh rate.

It's not big deal, just a last second Question/Comment.

Grenage
March 14th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Actually there is one more issue, It's not relevant to this thread, but when I go to youtube, the flash player doesn't play it properly, It's grey/black, grainy, and has lines through the video's. It didn't start doing this until the resolution changed. I've tried reinstalling the flash player, and changing the Refresh rate.

It's not big deal, just a last second Question/Comment.

It might be worth making a separate thread for the Flash problem, as you'll get much more appropriate viewings. Could you screenshot what it looks like? Are you using the default flash?

Kin2InuYasha
March 14th, 2011, 04:06 PM
It might be worth making a separate thread for the Flash problem, as you'll get much more appropriate viewings. Could you screenshot what it looks like? Are you using the default flash?

This (http://hamsterhutt.host56.com/ohman.png) is what it looks like. But you're right, I'm just going to start a new thread with this specific question. Thanks again!

Krytarik
March 14th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Great, you both worked it out already! Also, respect for your guide/website, Grenage. I suppose you did a websearch for the monitor's specs?

Grenage
March 14th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Great, you both worked it out already! Also, respect for your guide/website, Grenage. I suppose you did a websearch for the monitor's specs?

I did! But I believe that the modeline effectively negates the need for the monitor's capabilities. While I couldn't find the specs for the monitor directly, a search turned up another xorg.conf where EDID had picked up the correct values.

Krytarik
March 14th, 2011, 06:42 PM
I did! But I believe that the modeline effectively negates the need for the monitor's capabilities.
Since it didn't work with the modeline alone, at least with xrandr, I guess the passing of the correct specs is indeed needed.

Grenage
March 14th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Since it didn't work with the modeline alone, at least with xrandr, I guess the passing of the correct specs is indeed needed.

A valid point indeed! :)