PDA

View Full Version : Let's abolish daylight savings time

MaxIBoy
March 13th, 2011, 07:09 AM
Daylight savings time defeats the purpose of accurate timekeeping and leads to unnecessary confusion and annoyance, then does so again when it expires. The idea that the position of the sun has anything to do with timekeeping anymore is nonsense. When was the last time the position of the sun mattered to you in any way whatsoever? Unless you're a farmer, it probably hasn't ever.

We should get rid of DST for the same reason we should get rid of Windows. It's a relic which is no longer useful, it makes people less productive, and it's annoying to deal with. I have refused to set my clocks to DST for the last few years, and I'd encourage everyone else to do the same.

FuturePilot
March 13th, 2011, 07:29 AM
I have refused to set my clocks to DST for the last few years, and I'd encourage everyone else to do the same.

So you're an hour late for everything?

cascade9
March 13th, 2011, 07:35 AM
LMAO at the 'farmer' reference. Farmers are the people who fight daylight savings the most where I live.

I completely disagree, daylight savings is good IMO. I've lived with it, and without it, and I've always prefered to have it.

BTW, if you really hate daylight savings that much, you can come live here. Even though the DS4SEQ group has managed to get daylight savings back into parliment (again!) for debate, it wont get though.

JDShu
March 13th, 2011, 07:38 AM
There is no good reason for DST, but its not the biggest problem we have in this world.

doas777
March 13th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Um, daylight savings has nothing to do with teh position of the sun, beyond that when the sun is up, we spend less on electrical lighting (a lot less back when it was instituted). the idea is to realign the part of the day that most people are awake for with the hours the sun is up. if the sun is up but everyone is still asleep, then the sunlight is being "wasted".

heres some more info:
http://www.tnr.com/blog/jonathan-chait/79023/roll-back-the-bush-changes-daylight-saving-time

Giant Speck
March 13th, 2011, 07:39 AM
So you're an hour late for everything?
Being on time for stuff is so mainstream.

FuturePilot
March 13th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Being on time for stuff is so mainstream.

I was being late for things before it was popular to be late for things.

Giant Speck
March 13th, 2011, 07:45 AM
In all seriousness (ZOMG) though, Daylight Savings Time is pretty damn useless in Alaska. That, and the fact that most of the state is one time zone.

mips
March 13th, 2011, 09:50 AM
We don't have DST here. We also use a single time zone while spanning two.

Rasa1111
March 13th, 2011, 10:49 AM
add the Gregorian calendar to that as well. :lol:
back to the 13 moon calendar, natural cycles.. lol
im with ya maxiboy.
we are farmers here though! lol

andymorton
March 13th, 2011, 11:04 AM
I'll support whatever gives me more time in bed!:biggrin:

Bölvağur
March 13th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Um, daylight savings has nothing to do with teh position of the sun, beyond that when the sun is up, we spend less on electrical lighting (a lot less back when it was instituted). the idea is to realign the part of the day that most people are awake for with the hours the sun is up. if the sun is up but everyone is still asleep, then the sunlight is being "wasted".

heres some more info:
http://www.tnr.com/blog/jonathan-chait/79023/roll-back-the-bush-changes-daylight-saving-time

Daylight savings are a poor hack if you change the clock.
If you want to have people sleeping when the night is and wake up and be active when the sun comes up you should change when you do the activities but not the clock. And if you really wanted to safe electricity you'd make people go to sleep when the sun goes down and wake up when the sun comes up.. not 4 hours after sundown and few hours after sunrise.

There actually should just be one universal clock everyone is going by, it makes everything so much easier when it comes to telling people on the internet when something is to happen.
The only objection to that I have heard is extremely stupid one and is based on the idea that people are used to go to sleep at 12 or what ever and waking up at 7 or 8. So when the clock is universal people would be go to sleep and waking up in no relations to if it is dark outside but follow the clock mindlessly like zombies.... it's just... unbelievable anyone would have thought this.

1 clock for all is my vote and never change it, you should change when you do things not what the clock is.

JRV
March 13th, 2011, 01:00 PM
I think the entire world should be on Greenwich Mean Time. It works fine in Iceland.

Sean Moran
March 13th, 2011, 02:05 PM
I think the entire world should be on Greenwich Mean Time. It works fine in Iceland.

Agree 100%.

Some people have parents that are not very tall, and some people have parents that are not very beautiful, and some people have parents that are not very clever, so then it is wrong to make special concessions for stupid people if we don't give advantages to the short and ugly people too.

Tropical climates don't need DST, so that is why I always set my timezone to Burkina Faso - Ougadougo or somewhere,but it's all the same country.

I don't see any reason why I should make allowances for stupid people who can't work out the time in Vancouver or Beijing with basic arithmetic, if they won't pay me some respect for the fact that both my parents were short and ugly, and I had no choice in that.

Chilli Bob
March 13th, 2011, 02:43 PM
I think whoever invented daylight saving time got it backwards. Wouldn't it make more sense to have it in winter, so it's not dark when you finish work.

Or, alternatively, have it summer, but in the other direction, so the sun goes down earlier, and it gets cool earlier so you can go out and do something with your evening.

Maybe it makes sense in chilly old Europe, but it has no place in tropical and sub-tropical Australia.

JRV
March 13th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I think whoever invented daylight saving time got it backwards.

It was invented by Ben Franklin.

RiceMonster
March 13th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Daylight savings are a poor hack if you change the clock.
If you want to have people sleeping when the night is and wake up and be active when the sun comes up you should change when you do the activities but not the clock. And if you really wanted to safe electricity you'd make people go to sleep when the sun goes down and wake up when the sun comes up.. not 4 hours after sundown and few hours after sunrise.

And what's your plan to make that happen?

Sean Moran
March 13th, 2011, 03:20 PM
I think whoever invented daylight saving time got it backwards. Wouldn't it make more sense to have it in winter, so it's not dark when you finish work.

Or, alternatively, have it summer, but in the other direction, so the sun goes down earlier, and it gets cool earlier so you can go out and do something with your evening.

Maybe it makes sense in chilly old Europe, but it has no place in tropical and sub-tropical Australia.
One thing a small percentage of people in Japan and Christchurch and Queensland might have possibly had the opportunity to take a little time out of their busy schedules recently and recognise, is that the only thing that humans can possibly do to the planet is to make it worse.

When the Sun is at the zenith, it is not the Sun's zenith that the Sun has any worries about. It is our zenith. All the Sun really cares about is that lots of us can open our first can of beer for the day. The angles are not all that important beyond the wrist and the elbow, but that's when it happens. That is when the Sun is at the zenith, and there is absolutely nothing that Bill Gates can do about it.

DST is about silly people with some strange and abberant imagination that they can move the Sun. Here on planet Earth, we have asylums for those sorts of people, and beds by the windows if you want to see the sunrise at dawn. Set your watch however you like. It won't change the Sun. The Sun wakes up when it wants, and it doesn't change, and nobody can change it.

qamelian
March 13th, 2011, 03:21 PM
It was invented by Ben Franklin.
Not quite. Franklin only proposed a method to Parisians for conserving candles and did so as a form a satire. The first modern and serious proposal for DST did not occur until 1895 and was made by George Vernon Hudson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time

Sean Moran
March 13th, 2011, 03:49 PM
When my computer tells me (or any of my timepieces) that is 04:00, I know that it is 4AM in Burkina Faso, and noon in Perth, Au, and still an hour before beer o'clock in Thailand.

This is easy to keep track of, and anywhere on the Internet, I know that I'm on GMT without any need to adjust for my geographical location, but it's easy to learn to adjust to any local place around the globe if you know where you are on the planet. There are only 360 degrees in a circle, and roughly only 24 timezones. 360/24 = 15 degrees, and that covers a lot of longitude.

Once the idiots try to add in DST, everything becomes so confusing. eg. I used to add 8 for Perth and 7 for Bangkok, but now do I add nine or six or seven or eight? The jetsetting human mind does not take to DST when we already have the various lags calculated. If I'm an hour early or an hour late, don't blame me because I know when the Sun gets up in the morning.

Bölvağur
March 13th, 2011, 03:58 PM
And what's your plan to make that happen?
I don't have a plan, nor will I make one as we don't need any change in my country as we have enough of clean energy. Im not going to be affecting other countries, you can do what you want.

If I wanted to change the world I'd change the internet. Only tell people time in gmt (or say something like 8:30 gmt+6 if you dont want to change the clock from your's), unix time or utc, this way it should spread out on the internet and bit by bit to the real world.

drs305
March 13th, 2011, 04:02 PM
I hereby abolish Daylight Savings Time. In fact, though, it never existed.

Daylight Saving Time still exists, however.

Bölvağur
March 13th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Has no one ever been on a website that says it will be back up at "9 o'clock" and have no idea what that refers to?

Simian Man
March 13th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Good luck getting Americans to adopt Greenwich Mean Time, we still haven't accepted the Metric System.

I love how everyone thinks DST exists for farmers. Like a farmer isn't going to start working when he should just because of what the clock says!

I honestly don't care either way, if DST is the biggest annoyance in your life, you have a pretty soft existence if you ask me :).

mips
March 13th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Good luck getting Americans to adopt Greenwich Mean Time, we still haven't accepted the Metric System.

Pet peeve of mine. Why can't you guys just use GMT/UTC. When I see something that says 8am EST I have to go convert it online.

As for imperial/metric I've actually reached the stage where I can do quick imperial to metric conversion in my head for inches, feet, yards and pounds. Watching things like Discovery etc forces one to do else the measurements are pretty much meaningless. Is it so hard to work in multiples of ten? :D

KiwiNZ
March 13th, 2011, 07:51 PM
This thread is so silly it frankly astounds me :rolleyes:

Quadunit404
March 13th, 2011, 08:30 PM
This thread is so silly it frankly astounds me :rolleyes:

Same here.

Also, @OP: If this makes you happy, Hawaii doesn't observe DST and hasn't for several years. If you REALLY hate DST that much, then move there!

inobe
March 13th, 2011, 11:11 PM
the grocery store closed 10 minutes ago, i should have been there and hour ago:-x

nothingspecial
March 13th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Listen to this (if you can outside the uk)

Not saying I agree with some, any or all of it. It's just about the subject

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radio4/costearth/costearth_20101027-2133a.mp3

Rasa1111
March 14th, 2011, 03:41 AM
Listen to this (if you can outside the uk)

Not saying I agree with some, any or all of it. It's just about the subject

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radio4/costearth/costearth_20101027-2133a.mp3

d-loaded fine here in th u.s.
thanks, will check it out. :guitar:

CarpKing
March 14th, 2011, 04:20 AM

heres some more info:

It was once true that daylight savings time conserved energy, but due to the rise of air conditioning, it now wastes energy(*) (http://www.physorg.com/news187946326.html).

uRock
March 14th, 2011, 05:29 AM
It was once true that daylight savings time conserved energy, but due to the rise of air conditioning, it now wastes energy(*) (http://www.physorg.com/news187946326.html).
Good link. Makes sense. My previous employer changed our schedules for summer anyways. We started work at 6am in the winter and 5am for spring, summer and fall to avoid heat related injuries. I am sure that if we didn't have day light saving forcing us to change the clock, then our company would have had us coming in at 4am in the summer months.

Tristam Green
March 14th, 2011, 12:56 PM
In all seriousness (ZOMG) though, Daylight Savings Time is pretty damn useless in Alaska. That, and the fact that most of the state is one time zone.

Normally that's not a problem, but goodness, I can imagine it being something odd in a state as large as Alaska, where the sun's/moon's position in the sky could vary a good bit in the easternmost part of the state and the westernmost part?

wewantutopia
March 14th, 2011, 01:27 PM
I, for one, LOVE DST. Spring/fall/SUMMER nights that are bright so late are GREAT!

3Miro
March 14th, 2011, 01:55 PM
I, for one, LOVE DST. Spring/fall/SUMMER nights that are bright so late are GREAT!

That has nothing to do with DST, this is just a consequence of the tilt on the Earth's axis, we are surely not in a position to "abolish" that. DST refers to moving the clocks back/forth one hour.

I don't think it is saving any energy or whatsoever and yes setting the entire world on a single GST makes a lot of sense, communications and air travel would be so much easier to synchronize.

wewantutopia
March 14th, 2011, 02:01 PM
That has nothing to do with DST, this is just a consequence of the tilt on the Earth's axis, we are surely not in a position to "abolish" that. DST refers to moving the clocks back/forth one hour.

I don't think it is saving any energy or whatsoever and yes setting the entire world on a single GST makes a lot of sense, communications and air travel would be so much easier to synchronize.

Really? Obviously. However, when you "Spring Ahead" you get an extra hour of light which I LOVE, as previously stated.

donkyhotay
March 14th, 2011, 02:17 PM

Honestly I've thought that in today's society that would be an excellent idea. The whole thing with time zones is a holdover from the days when "it's 12:00 when the sun is straight up" regardless of anything else. I'm not certain how true this is but I've heard that china eliminated time zones in their country and the whole country is based off beijing time but the cities/towns far enough away just do things at a different time even though the clocks are set to beijing. I hate having to convert time zones all the time at work and wish we could just have one single time everwhere in the world. Doubt it's going to happen, especially here in the USA where cars still get "20 furlongs to the hogshead and thats the way we like it!".

mick222
March 14th, 2011, 02:23 PM
I've never really understood why people get so upset about moving the clock back\forward an hour are there tiny brains not able to cope. The government here "UK" is talking of moving to gmt+1 in summer and gmt +2 in winter all year round this would mean that sundown in the north of Scotland where i live would be around 11pm in summer and dawn would be 10am in the winter meaning children who walk to school being out at the coldest and darkest part of the day .
Businesses can cope with different time zones and will still have to no matter what the time is in one part of the world but people need to be able to have a convenient time zone for every day life.

arpanaut
March 14th, 2011, 02:56 PM
No Way!

I've gots to be able to get in a round of golf after work!
@mid-summer I can play until almost 10 PM.

One of my favorite things in life is enjoying sunset on a golf course.
So, for purely selfish reasons I prefer things as they are.

3Miro
March 14th, 2011, 05:48 PM
I've never really understood why people get so upset about moving the clock back\forward an hour are there tiny brains not able to cope. The government here "UK" is talking of moving to gmt+1 in summer and gmt +2 in winter all year round this would mean that sundown in the north of Scotland where i live would be around 11pm in summer and dawn would be 10am in the winter meaning children who walk to school being out at the coldest and darkest part of the day .
Businesses can cope with different time zones and will still have to no matter what the time is in one part of the world but people need to be able to have a convenient time zone for every day life.

What is the difference between "moving the clock" and "moving the schedule". Let the schools start an hour later/earlier depending on the time of the year and keep the clocks fixed. That way English kids would go to school in say 9:00 and Americans in New York in 13:00. In winter, businesses and schools can start one/two hours later.

The current scheme is a pain when I live in USA and want to call my mom in Europe. I always have to keep track of time-zones and different DST every year for USA and EU.

Chronon
March 14th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Watching things like Discovery etc forces one to do else the measurements are pretty much meaningless. Is it so hard to work in multiples of ten? :D

You can work in multiples of ten regardless of what base unit you use. Machinists already do work in multiples of ten.

Grenage
March 14th, 2011, 05:52 PM
While it would a system I'm in favour off (as long as everyone uses UK time, obviously), I can't begin to imagine the social carnage during the transition.

uRock
What is the difference between "moving the clock" and "moving the schedule". Let the schools start an hour later/earlier depending on the time of the year and keep the clocks fixed. That way English kids would go to school in say 9:00 and Americans in New York in 15:00. In winter, businesses and schools can start one/two hours later.

The current scheme is a pain when I live in USA and want to call my mom in Europe. I always have to keep track of time-zones and different DST every year for USA and EU.

I lived in Korea for a year and know how DLS can be a pain, when it comes to making calls to the other side of the world. It was either 13 or 14 hour difference depending on the time of year.

Chronon
What is the difference between "moving the clock" and "moving the schedule". Let the schools start an hour later/earlier depending on the time of the year and keep the clocks fixed. That way English kids would go to school in say 9:00 and Americans in New York in 13:00. In winter, businesses and schools can start one/two hours later.

You would still have to keep track, only you would be keeping track of schedule shift zones instead of time zones.

mick222
March 14th, 2011, 05:55 PM

How is it a pain either set your computer to show time in the other time zone or do the same with your phone. People are used to going to work at 8 or 9 am and coming home at 6 or 7pm I can easily understand people in the us using est or pst and europe using cet. I find it better when talking to people to understand what time of day it is for them.

malspa
March 14th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Arizona-- no DST! One of the many things I miss about living there.

uRock
March 14th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Arizona-- no DST! One of the many things I miss about living there.

I had a co-worker that lived in AZ and commuted to NV every day for work and his whining about having to change his schedule to match NV times. It is a lose/lose situation as many people just don't like to change their schedules at all.

KiwiNZ
March 14th, 2011, 07:42 PM
We have been using Day light saving time each summer from October to April of one hour per day on top of the half hour per day permanent DST we have all year for several decades without issue.

It causes no drama, it takes a few seconds to set the clocks forward 1 hour in October and back 1 hour in April. Simple, if some can't handle that then they must have wider issues. The computers and Cellphones do it per the network so thats a no brainer.

jfloydb
March 14th, 2011, 07:59 PM
There is no good reason for DST, but its not the biggest problem we have in this world.

No, but it is the biggest problem I have today...

TenPlus1
March 14th, 2011, 08:05 PM
It affects our health as well, I say abolish it completely:

http://www.latimes.com/health/hc-weir-daylight-savings-0311-20110310,0,7658463.story

forrestcupp
March 14th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Why do people keep calling it "Daylight Savings Time" when it's real name is "Daylight Saving Time"? ;)

When was the last time the position of the sun mattered to you in any way whatsoever? Unless you're a farmer, it probably hasn't ever.Why do the farmers care? The new tractors are like a condo on wheels. They have GPS devices, and the farmer hardly has to look out the window to know where to steer the tractor.

Also, @OP: If this makes you happy, Hawaii doesn't observe DST and hasn't for several years. If you REALLY hate DST that much, then move there!
That's because they always have the same amount of sunlight.

We just recently adopted DST in Indiana. Some studies have shown that instead of saving energy, we have been using more energy since the change. I think if everyone else is doing it, we should, too. But I also think it's stupid as heck that everyone else is doing it.

uRock
March 14th, 2011, 08:13 PM
It affects our health as well, I say abolish it completely:

http://www.latimes.com/health/hc-weir-daylight-savings-0311-20110310,0,7658463.story

That article only applies to people who already have problems with sleep deprivation. People who are health conscious and strive to stay in shape which includes good sleeping habits will have no problems.

Personally, I like getting off from work and having time to get out and enjoy the weather before the sun sets.

nothingspecial
March 14th, 2011, 08:14 PM
“The carbon savings associated with this clock change are significant, equivalent to the carbon footprint of the production of 1,800 plastic bags for every home in Britain every year, or taking around 200,000 cars off the road.”

http://www.1010global.org/uk/2010/06/big-day-lighter-later

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10362295

forrestcupp
March 14th, 2011, 08:26 PM
“The carbon savings associated with this clock change are significant, equivalent to the carbon footprint of the production of 1,800 plastic bags for every home in Britain every year, or taking around 200,000 cars off the road.”

http://www.1010global.org/uk/2010/06/big-day-lighter-later

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10362295

That doesn't seem to be the case in Indiana.

ratcheer
March 14th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Daylight savings time defeats the purpose of accurate timekeeping and leads to unnecessary confusion and annoyance, then does so again when it expires. The idea that the position of the sun has anything to do with timekeeping anymore is nonsense. When was the last time the position of the sun mattered to you in any way whatsoever? Unless you're a farmer, it probably hasn't ever.

We should get rid of DST for the same reason we should get rid of Windows. It's a relic which is no longer useful, it makes people less productive, and it's annoying to deal with. I have refused to set my clocks to DST for the last few years, and I'd encourage everyone else to do the same.

It would suit me just fine to get rid of DST. However, I have tried to stick to my decision to not rant about it, this year. It does no good.

Tim

uRock
March 14th, 2011, 08:48 PM
It would suit me just fine to get rid of DST. However, I have tried to stick to my decision to not rant about it, this year. It does no good.

Tim

Lol, this is the first time that I have seen people ranting about something so insignificant.

doas777
March 14th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Lol, this is the first time that I have seen people ranting about something so insignificant.
lolz, I agree, though it may not be that insignifigant.
when W changed the dates a few years ago, it cost an estimated 1 billion$ worldwide, primarily in IT. but then again, I updated my servers that month, so I guess I got my cut...

nothingspecial
March 14th, 2011, 09:34 PM
That doesn't seem to be the case in Indiana.

She's talking about not doing it. In the sense that when we change our clocks, the whole idea is to make it lighter in the early hours when most people are in bed.

As a consequence it goes dark one hour earlier, and everybody switches their light on. For an extra hour.

Rasa1111
March 15th, 2011, 01:17 AM

Really? lol

I constantly see people ranting about completely meaningless and insignificant things.

Such as sports, and video games. :lol: :rolleyes:

Both seeming a bit more insignificant than daylight saving time, even.
:KS

steveneddy
March 15th, 2011, 01:50 AM
Agreed - it is a mind control method anyway.

Live - BE FREE!

forrestcupp
March 15th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Such as sports, and video games. :lol: :rolleyes:

How could anything be more important than sports and video games? :)

Lucradia
March 15th, 2011, 01:33 PM
We don't have DST here. We also use a single time zone while spanning two.

You did observe it at one point in time though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:DaylightSaving-World-Subdivisions.png

Orange = No longer used

Blue = Used

Red = Never Used

Rasa1111
March 17th, 2011, 06:30 AM
How could anything be more important than sports and video games? :)

:lolflag:

stumped me... lol :lol: ;)

fcomstoc
March 17th, 2011, 06:56 AM
I live in Phoenix Arizona, we do not observe daylight savings time. :)

Rasa1111
March 17th, 2011, 07:16 AM
I live in Phoenix Arizona, we do not observe daylight savings time. :)

Careful, bro..
they seem to be "touchy" about whether we say "savingS" or "savinG"
:lol: :rolleyes:

fcomstoc
March 17th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Careful, bro..
they seem to be "touchy" about whether we say "savingS" or "savinG"
:lol: :rolleyes:

Good Call :D:D:D

smellyman
March 17th, 2011, 08:47 AM

Buttons on the left?????

red_Marvin
March 17th, 2011, 12:34 PM
We should also use SI units, metric time, Arch Linux, dvorak and vim exclusively.

...did I miss anything?

nerdopolis
March 17th, 2011, 01:06 PM
I always thought Daylight Savings time as mostly useless... most offices/schools have the lights on all day no matter what...

uRock
March 17th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Buttons on the left?????

You got me there.;)

forrestcupp
March 17th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Things that are insignificant to some people can be very significant to others. Government funding of PBS is a great example of that.

CarpKing
March 17th, 2011, 06:05 PM
We should also use SI units, metric time, Arch Linux, dvorak and vim exclusively.

...did I miss anything?

Careful, bro. Metric time is what got the creators of the metric system executed.

uRock
March 17th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Things that are insignificant to some people can be very significant to others. Government funding of PBS is a great example of that.

This is very true.

MasterNetra
March 18th, 2011, 04:57 AM
SIde note, The only thing at my place that auto adjusted for DST was my one atomic clock, Ubuntu here has yet to do it. Cable hasn't either.

CarpKing
March 18th, 2011, 06:01 AM
SIde note, The only thing at my place that auto adjusted for DST was my one atomic clock, Ubuntu here has yet to do it. Cable hasn't either.

Ubuntu always auto-adjusts for me (since 2006). About half the time, when I boot into Windows it auto-adjusts again, so I change by two hours if I'm not careful.

racie
March 18th, 2011, 06:07 AM
Well here in the states, you could probably get it changed in your own state if you get enough people to whine about it with you.

I find it ridiculous as well, but meh... it's so much more effort to try and get it abolished.

Giant Speck
March 18th, 2011, 09:01 AM
You did observe it at one point in time though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:DaylightSaving-World-Subdivisions.png

Orange = No longer used

Blue = Used

Red = Never Used
Your link is broken because the forum changes the :D to a smiley face.

Here is a [hopefully] working link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:DaylightSaving-World-Subdivisions.png

EDIT: Oh well crap. The noparse tag prevents hyperlinks even if you put the URL tags outside the noparse tags. Hmph.