PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] failed to run depmod: error.. everytime I attempt to install, update, or run synaptic

chadmkidner
March 13th, 2011, 03:35 AM
Every time I run the package manager whether it be for updates, install, or anything else, I get an error during that states that is is attempting to recover from a package failure. At the end it states Failed to run depmod dpkg: error processing linux-image-2.6.32-25-generic: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1 And the same again for linux-image-2.6.35-27-generic.. I'm bewildered as to why it wouldn't just reconfigure when it goes through the update each time? It seems to try pretty hard my computer freezes everytime while it's attempting to because it maxes out the CPU.. Could having older kernels installed cause this problem by chance? Ideas? Thanks in advance for anyone that can help.

chadmkidner
March 22nd, 2011, 03:41 PM
Still haven't figured this out..

sikander3786
March 22nd, 2011, 07:41 PM
Welcome to the forums and apologies for the late reply :-)

We need to see the complete output of these commands from Applications > Accessories > Terminal:

sudo apt-get update
sudo dpkg --configure -a

chadmkidner
April 4th, 2011, 02:29 AM
Hmm.. Well I fixed the problem but its very interesting that it ever was one.. I deleted all of the old Kernels and reran synaptic updates and ran smoothly. no problems.