PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Places pull down menu/ buttons in file management windows broken by Ktorrent...

Hektik Keef
March 13th, 2011, 12:57 AM
Whenever i click on an icon in the Places pull down menu (except Computer, Network, Connect To Server and Search For Files) nothing happens except I get Ktorrent popping up and claiming it cant open the selected Drive or Folder because it is not a valid torrent file. Which is fair enough, 'cos its not a torrent. Its the entry for my Desktop in a pull down menu in my O/S, and it does this even when I haven't been near Ktorrent in the previous hundred clicks of the mouse, or if Ktorrent is not running. If i un-install Ktorrent, the error message changed, but the correct windows did not open when asked from the Places pull down, and the error returns when its re installed- well, tried it once, in a very basic fashion through the software center.
I think the problem has been caused by two containing folders of torrent data files that have become stuck as entrys in the Pllaces menu- cack handed off me folks, was playing with new mouse settings as I was playing with new mouse settings. Problem may also be something to do with the problems I have been having with Ktorrent- it refuses to accept torrent files unless through a magnet link, bringing up the same "parse error- not valid torrent file" error message as comes up from the Places menu, only of course citing the torrent i just tried, when I know for sure the file is valid and operational because Transmission has no problem with it.
I really hope someone can help me fix this, as formatting and re-installing will be a real ball ache, as I'm a new user who's spent the last week learning and starting the customization process, and I was just getting to think about backing it all up...
System is Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit, Pentium quad core, one 250Gb system drive and another larger drive called storage that appears under Media path both SATA2, no DVD drive as connector is in the post.

Frogs Hair
March 13th, 2011, 01:24 AM
Try this to reset default applications for opening folders. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=10316525#post10316525

Hektik Keef
March 13th, 2011, 03:00 AM
Nice work Frogs Hair. That did it And is the second time in couple o days to helped with a solution for me, and it might even count as two in itself 'cos think may have the root cause of the problem with Ktorrent in here somewhere...

Frogs Hair
March 13th, 2011, 03:17 AM
You're welcome , many people are having similar problems with different applications . It may be time to see if this is a bug or not.

Krytarik
March 13th, 2011, 05:25 AM
It may be time to see if this is a bug or not.
"It's not a bug, it's a feature!" ;-) (But it has many characteristics of a bug.):
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1675491

Frogs Hair
March 13th, 2011, 03:02 PM
"It's not a bug, it's a feature!" ;-) (But it has many characteristics of a bug.):
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1675491

That post is a bit confusing because it includes a link to a bug report . Oh well the OP got the result he wanted.

Krytarik
March 14th, 2011, 12:13 AM
That post is a bit confusing because it includes a link to a bug report . Oh well the OP got the result he wanted.
Let me put it in my words: If you don't keep the "Remember..." option ticked, you don't have to revert the very selection you otherwise would have made!