PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Doom 3, Quake 4, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars sound delay fix

Virus666
March 13th, 2011, 12:55 AM
Hi all,

I finally found the accurate sound solution for Doom 3, Quake 4 and Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. As all we know that these ID Software games mainly use OSS and ALSA. However, for an unknown reason new PulseAudio releases have lack of compability with those old drivers/components. Thus, generally we hear up to 30 seconds boring sound delay... Here is the solution:

alsa-oss: ALSA wrapper for OSS applications

All we need to do is install alsa-oss package and start the game with aoss command.

Install the alsa-oss package with Synaptic Package Manager or via Terminal:

sudo apt-get install alsa-ossThen make OSS default for the game. I am typing for Quake 4; you may edit it for the other games.

quake4 +set s_driver oss +set s_numberOfSpeakers 2As you see there is no voice; do not worry; we have just made OSS default for your game and there is no OSS package is installed on your system. Exit the game.

Start the game with aoss command:

aoss quake4Ta taaa!... As you can hear, there is no sound delay and the voice synchronization is like a charm... :D

If you do not desire to enter aoss command eveytime, you may made a starter to the desktop which seems like at the attachment.

Have fun... :guitar:

figure002
April 10th, 2011, 01:46 PM
I got it working, thanks for the post!

There's one thing I don't quite understand. Do you run the command "quake4 +set s_driver oss +set s_numberOfSpeakers 2" from the terminal? And why is it needed?

Virus666
April 22nd, 2011, 02:44 AM

There's one thing I don't quite understand. Do you run the command "quake4 +set s_driver oss +set s_numberOfSpeakers 2" from the terminal? And why is it needed?

Because, the out of box game works with ALSA and that driver has compability issues with PulseAudio. That is why those games have huge sound delays with new GNU/Linux distros. The code makes games's default sound driver as OSS. Then after we start the game with "ALSA wrapper for OSS applications" the sound comes after wrapping process, so the delay dissappears... :)

You may run the command via terminal or Alt+F2 function.

figure002
April 23rd, 2011, 01:25 AM
Because, the out of box game works with ALSA and that driver has compability issues with PulseAudio. That is why those games have huge sound delays with new GNU/Linux distos. The code makes games's default sound driver as OSS. Then after we start the game with "ALSA wrapper for OSS applications" the sound comes after wrapping process, so the delay dissappears... :)

You may run the command via terminal or Alt+F2 function.

The funny thing is that I skipped that "+set" command, and used just the wrapper with the command "aoss <game>" which worked as well. It looks like the "+set" command isn't even necessary to get rid of the delay.

JuliaS
April 23rd, 2011, 06:44 PM
Thanks a lot for this post! It worked with me :)

Julia

Virus666
April 23rd, 2011, 08:16 PM
The funny thing is that I skipped that "+set" command, and used just the wrapper with the command "aoss <game>" which worked as well. It looks like the "+set" command isn't even necessary to get rid of the delay.

Well, since I changed the game's sound driver many times in order to get rid of the sound delay, my game's sound settings may be broken.

So, try to start the game with aoss command;

aoss <game>IF the sound delay still exists or there is no sound, change the sound driver of the game as OSS;

<game> +set s_driver oss +set s_numberOfSpeakers 2Then, start the game with aoss command;

aoss <game>You may make a game launcher for the last code:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10553620&postcount=1

Chislucas
April 23rd, 2011, 10:20 PM

Lucas

emmar
May 8th, 2011, 01:14 AM
It doesn't work for me. No sound at all. I have Ubuntu 11.04.

Shazzner
May 9th, 2011, 01:18 AM
pasuspender always worked for me for ID games.

emmar
May 11th, 2011, 10:10 PM
I tried:
pasuspender ./etqw +set s_alsa_pcm plughw:0
aoss ./etqw +set s_driver oss +set s_numberOfSpeakers 2

None of them works.

Virus666
May 19th, 2011, 12:42 PM
I tried:
pasuspender ./etqw +set s_alsa_pcm plughw:0
aoss ./etqw +set s_driver oss +set s_numberOfSpeakers 2

None of them works.

pasuspender never worked for me with Qauke 4. You need to install alsa-oss package first. Then start the game with aoss command; if there is no improvement, make the game's sound drive as OSS: <game> +set s_driver oss +set s_numberOfSpeakers 2 . Now you can start the game with aoss command: aoss <game>

azurehoney
June 18th, 2011, 01:53 AM
Nonono, you don't need aoss nor pasuspend.

Simply set "s_alsa_pcm" to "plug:hw".

seta s_alsa_pcm "plug:hw"

Rodney9
July 24th, 2011, 02:40 AM
It doesn't work for me. No sound at all. I have Ubuntu 11.04.

Same here, I did have some sound, now after running these commands Quake 4 is totally silent.

<snip>

Rodney9
August 2nd, 2011, 07:51 AM
How can this be marked solved ? when some of us still have no sound ???

azurehoney
August 4th, 2011, 05:19 AM
I guess because it was solved for original thread creator. You and him/her are not guaranteed to have exactly same sound issues.

Soulcage
August 4th, 2011, 07:09 AM
quake4-smp +set s_alsa_pcm plughw:0 +set s_driver alsa +set r_alphaToCoverage "0"

quake4 +set s_alsa_pcm plughw:0 +set s_driver alsa +set r_alphaToCoverage "0"

doom3 +set s_alsa_pcm plughw:0 +set s_driver alsa

etqw +set s_alsa_pcm plughw:0 +set s_driver alsa

etqw-rthread +set s_alsa_pcm plughw:0 +set s_driver alsa
etqw-rthread and quake4-smp are the 64bit versions
also r_alphaToCoverage fixes some surfaces like windows and... you can change it in the console too.

Rodney9
August 5th, 2011, 07:40 AM

Did the trick, Well Done, Thank You

tkmn
August 5th, 2011, 08:55 AM
This finally solved my sound problems.
Except my output device was different: front:0

You can list outputs with aplay -L

~$ aplay -L
pulse
Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
front:CARD=Live,DEV=0
SB Live! 5.1 Dell OEM [SB0228], ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback
Front speakers

kaldor
August 6th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Sound *was* working before after trying these fixes. The OP's solution did not work for me. This, however, did:

But after taking a break for a few hours, there's no sound at all. Nothing I can do to make it work again. Any ideas?

Soulcage
August 7th, 2011, 10:38 AM
kaldor make sure no other program is playing sound before you launch, pausing should be enough.
Also if you have been using something like mumble make sure you close it then:
killall speech-dispatcher

figure002
June 4th, 2012, 06:35 PM
In Ubuntu 12.04, the trick with aoss no longer works properly (I get distorted sound). But the following does work:

Bromden
June 4th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Ok everything works fine!

You have to install ia32-libs libraries on 12.04 beacuse they contain:
lib32asound2-plugins - ALSA library additional plugins (32 bit) lib64asound2-plugins - ALSA library additional plugins (64 bit) libasound2-plugins - ALSA library additional plugins

Probably this way will be solved a lot of Wine's problems too.

To launch the game use the string suggested above:

ant2ne
July 31st, 2012, 10:20 PM
[CODE]doom3 +set s_alsa_pcm plughw:0 +set s_driver alsa

:guitar:

Is there a fix for wide screen monitors and full screen play? The image looks a little distorted.