PDA

View Full Version : The one thing that keeps failing every time

TheNessus
March 12th, 2011, 11:26 PM
On any distro - and always, it's completely random...

Is Sleep.

I went to work today and sent my laptop to sleep. I came back now 8 hours later to discover my computer overheated, fan on full speed, screen blank, I guess CPU on 100% (200% if it could, the bastard), as something went wrong with the sleep command.

Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't happen, it's really up to the OS and its mood swings, I suppose. Ordering a computer with Linux to sleep is like opening the gate to hell: you never know what will happen once you do it. It's taking risk, and something will surely fail as a result.

It's the ONE thing that will forever frustrate me to complete rage.

_outlawed_
March 12th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Reason why I have never used sleep mode, on either Linux or Windows.

It's either hibernation or full shut down.

jerenept
March 12th, 2011, 11:40 PM
On any distro - and always, it's completely random...

Is Sleep.

I went to work today and sent my laptop to sleep. I came back now 8 hours later to discover my computer overheated, fan on full speed, screen blank, I guess CPU on 100% (200% if it could, the bastard), as something went wrong with the sleep command.

Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't happen, it's really up to the OS and its mood swings, I suppose. Ordering a computer with Linux to sleep is like opening the gate to hell: you never know what will happen once you do it. It's taking risk, and something will surely fail as a result.

It's the ONE thing that will forever frustrate me to complete rage.

Install the NVIDIA binary drivers?

TheNessus
March 12th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Install the NVIDIA binary drivers?

Happened to me with Nvidia propriety drivers and open source driver, and happens currently with an Intel HD card, and also happened with a comp without a graphics card at all. It's simply a fact of life :)

jerenept
March 12th, 2011, 11:49 PM
Happened to me with Nvidia propriety drivers and open source driver, and happens currently with an Intel HD card, and also happened with a comp without a graphics card at all. It's simply a fact of life :)

WorksForMe, but I will say it was a serious problem in the 8.X and 9.X Ubuntu for me.

deconstrained
March 12th, 2011, 11:59 PM
I ran 10.04 on an Asus EeePC for bout a year. Never had any problems with the sleep functionality. It was as seamless and predictable as on the PowerBook I used to own, although it would sometimes take a bit of time before the thing finally went to sleep after closing it.

The reason why it doesn't work in your case may be that the modules associated with the devices aren't really well-polished or stable yet, or maybe Ubuntu's auto-configuration scripts didn't set things up properly.

3rdalbum
March 13th, 2011, 02:25 AM
Suspend doesn't work as well for my computer on 10.10 as it used to do with older versions. Hibernate has NEVER really worked for me - not even on Windows machines.

johntaylor1887
March 13th, 2011, 02:39 AM
Is it really a big deal to shutdown and restart? Especially for 8 hours. Get an SSD and startup/shutdown are extremely quick.

Sporkman
March 13th, 2011, 02:55 AM
Suspend issues on my Acer Aspire seem to be related to the wireless device... It's usually successful of I turn off (via the physical button) the wireless before suspending, then turn it back on after resuming. If I don't do that, the system will hang on resume about one or two times out of ten.

Khakilang
March 13th, 2011, 04:14 AM
Never had any problem so far even I leave it over night to download Distro. But than again I always shut down when not using the computer.

Paddy Landau
March 14th, 2011, 12:43 AM
I never had sleep problems with 8.04. But since I upgraded to 10.04, it won't wake up from sleep.