PDA

View Full Version : Death of the GUI

pi3.1415926535...
March 12th, 2011, 08:41 PM
My question is when will the GUI as we know it die. It has already started to change, for example chrome/chromium OS. But eventually won't it just disappear when we access and edit content through mind control. Or maybe society will get to a point when life is having and electrode in your brain that creates a perfect life for you, while you are unknowing on what is essentially a life support system being taken care of by robots (sort of like the Matrix, but a perfect life).

Lucradia
March 12th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Not electrodes actually; more or less, a nanomachine colony living in you by way of pill / injection. Yes, people expect by a few hundred years from now, we'll have something like mind-control on computers.

However, even PSMove / Wii / etc. need GUIs, so we aren't going there for several decades.

We'll first have glasses with internal holographics that are like mobile phones. But they'll be much more expensive than a top of the line computer (+1500 USD) when they come out, I'm sure.

rich52x
March 12th, 2011, 08:46 PM
dude, that's all a bit sci-fi :')
I dont think the gui will ever die, just become ever increasingly simpler for today's market, with computers becoming more like lifestyle products than computing machines

Just my two cents :D

Lucradia
March 12th, 2011, 08:49 PM
dude, that's all a bit sci-fi :')
I dont think the gui will ever die, just become ever increasingly simpler for today's market, with computers becoming more like lifestyle products than computing machines

Just my two cents :D

http://futuretimeline.net/

beew
March 12th, 2011, 09:03 PM
My question is when will the GUI as we know it die. It has already started to change, for example chrome/chromium OS. But eventually won't it just disappear when we access and edit content through mind control. Or maybe society will get to a point when life is having and electrode in your brain that creates a perfect life for you, while you are unknowing on what is essentially a life support system being taken care of by robots (sort of like the Matrix, but a perfect life).

Why do you want to do that? Even if it is technically feasible it wouldn't be desirable. It is not easy to have complete concentration of the mind. Do you want to risk crashing your system or wiping out files because you are momentarily distracted or having a strayed thought? To control computer content with the mind would be subjected to a lot of noise simply because the mind is a noisy place. It would be like typing or pushing the mouse with a lot of jerky random movements overlaid on top of the usual movements.

It is a lot easier to control machines with the old fashion way via keyboard and mouse. It takes much effort to control one's own mind and many mystical traditions have spent thousands of years trying to do just that (not saying that they work, but just show the magnitude of the problem)

rich52x
March 12th, 2011, 09:04 PM
http://futuretimeline.net/

okay, very sci-fi, is this site just full on nonsensical ramblings or is this backed by research/experts/anything tangible! :3

NCLI
March 12th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Not electrodes actually; more or less, a nanomachine colony living in you by way of pill / injection. Yes, people expect by a few hundred years from now, we'll have something like mind-control on computers.

However, even PSMove / Wii / etc. need GUIs, so we aren't going there for several decades.

We'll first have glasses with internal holographics that are like mobile phones. But they'll be much more expensive than a top of the line computer (+1500 USD) when they come out, I'm sure.

A few hundred? I think that's way too pessimistic. I say 50 years, at most.

Lucradia
March 12th, 2011, 09:06 PM
okay, very sci-fi, is this site just full on nonsensical ramblings or is this backed by research/experts/anything tangible! :3

Almost every single piece of data has a reference to an article. The only problem is, some of the articles are old. I don't think we'll see a PS4 in 2015, probably earlier.

beew
March 12th, 2011, 09:11 PM
To understand how ridiculous the idea is, considering driving a car with your mind. A small distraction and you spin off the highway cause you lose other constraining mechanism that don't depend on the conscious mind like reflex . At that point if you want to get a driving license you would have to go to jedi school to learn how to control the mind.

Lucradia
March 12th, 2011, 09:13 PM
To understand how ridiculous the idea is, considering driving a car with your mind. A small distraction and you spin off the highway. At that point if you want to get a driving license you would have to go to jedi school to learn how to control the mind.

By the time we have those; we'd have bionic part replacement, etc. I'm sure I could get something that allows me to walk without tiring much, or jump really high.

beew
March 12th, 2011, 09:20 PM
By the time we have those; we'd have bionic part replacement, etc. I'm sure I could get something that allows me to walk without tiring much, or jump really high.

Then why do you need computers? You can just integrate it into your brain. :)

I don't think it is very appealing to become part of a Blog collective.

Lucradia
March 12th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Then why do you need computers? You can just integrate it into your brain. :)

I don't think it is very appealing to become part of a Blog collective.

By the time I get to that age, I'd probably replace most parts of mine. Trolls would become the criminals of that world, since they could inject code into your body to shut down vital systems.

Trolls better start running. Otherwise, they might find themselves arrested for, guess what, being a troll.

TheNessus
March 12th, 2011, 11:31 PM
To understand how ridiculous the idea is, considering driving a car with your mind. A small distraction and you spin off the highway cause you lose other constraining mechanism that don't depend on the conscious mind like reflex . At that point if you want to get a driving license you would have to go to jedi school to learn how to control the mind.

I don't think people will drive cars in the future when that kind of advance tech exists. Cars will drive themselves. Or maybe there will be teleportation by then

rtimai
March 13th, 2011, 01:27 AM
The ultimate integration of the human self would mean that there would be no need for a GUI, because there'd be no need for thought, or even experience, because you would be perfectly absorbed into everything in existence, and... oh, waitaminute... that's, uh, the same as being dead...

Shpongle
March 13th, 2011, 01:55 AM

Lol:D