PDA

View Full Version : KDE Control Centre versus System Settings

Parkotron
May 5th, 2006, 12:12 AM
I was just wondering how many Kubuntu users stick with System Settings and how many use the KDE Control Centre.

Personally, I much prefer kcontrol because: it has more modules
all the modules are in a single list
the grouping of modules is more intuitive (to me)
I realise that systemsettings is supposed to be more user friendly, but I'm wondering if real users actually find it easier to use. Personally, I find the whole "Show All" interface unintuitive.

I am in no way trying to start an argument: everyone is free to use whichever they choose. And on that note, GNOME users need not reply. I'm pretty sure everyone knows GNOME users don't approve of either massive nested multipart configuration dialogue.

cgjones
May 5th, 2006, 12:15 AM
It's funny that you ask this, because I just did a base install of Ubuntu, so that I could get a really stripped down version of KDE. I also prefer kcontrol, but mainly because that's what I'm used to. People new to KDE that are familar with Windows probably would be more comfortable with the Kubuntu System Settings layout though.

aysiu
May 5th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Why do I want to keep pressing the Back button all the time? So I can have one of the worst features in Mac OS X creep on to KDE? No, thanks. OS X has a lot of good things going for it, but the usability of System Preferences is not one of them. KControl all the way...

GoldBuggie
May 5th, 2006, 02:23 AM
I haven't understood the goodness of System Settings. Using kcontrol makes it easier to look around and find configurations and what aysiu said about the backbutton is so true. System Settings is non-configuration friendly!

mips
May 5th, 2006, 02:53 AM
Stupid question, how do you get rid of System Settings and install Kcontrol ??

I tried doing it via adept but now i have a systems setting folder in the menu and no kcontrol ???

aysiu
May 5th, 2006, 03:01 AM
Stupid question, how do you get rid of System Settings and install Kcontrol ?? You don't have to install it. Just press Alt-F2 and type
kcontrol

tikal26
May 5th, 2006, 03:02 AM
I did not know that there was such a thing as kcontrol until i tried a knopixx live Cd (I think) and discovered that system setting was a kubuntu thing. I guess is a things that people are use to it, but I did not like it and I guess I understand why they change it and yes I was just coming from windows and that might be the reason I like it better.

GoldBuggie
May 5th, 2006, 03:31 AM
I did not know that there was such a thing as kcontrol until i tried a knopixx live Cd (I think) and discovered that system setting was a kubuntu thing. I guess is a things that people are use to it, but I did not like it...
What is it you don't like? For me(concerning systemview) it is the lack of fast getting a overlook of what you can configure. I loos grip of where I am and also...system settings doesn't include all configurations(this might get better later). With kcontrol I feel that all configurations are at my fingertip and I can easy/fast change from one configmodule to another.

aysiu
May 5th, 2006, 03:36 AM
yes I was just coming from windows and that might be the reason I like it better. Could be. But when I switched from Windows to Mepis last year, I loved the Control Center. There was no "God, I wish it looked more like the Windows Control Panel" urge within me. In fact--even in Windows--I'll switch the Control Panel to the "classic view."

htinn
May 5th, 2006, 04:17 AM
In Windows, I always enabled the Start Menu / Control Panel sub menu. Why waste time with a window you don't need?

GeneralZod
May 5th, 2006, 07:47 AM
kcontrol by a huge amount.

awakatanka
May 5th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Could be. But when I switched from Windows to Mepis last year, I loved the Control Center. There was no "God, I wish it looked more like the Windows Control Panel" urge within me. In fact--even in Windows--I'll switch the Control Panel to the "classic view."
I go for kcontrol also, but i see that mepis is going the system settings way to in there alpha/beta's, think its a bad idea.But aren't most distro using there own version? i can remember Mandrake had there own version to when i tryed that one a while back. Also like you i allways switch back to classic in windows.

I think kcontrol is more user friendly because you can switch to another setting because of the sidebar. They are filtering the most used option to be used in system settings, but i use the other option to, and like aysiu i don't like the back button thing.

mips
May 5th, 2006, 12:37 PM
You don't have to install it. Just press Alt-F2 and type
kcontrol

Thanks. Ok, I managed to add it to my Settings menu. Is this the right place for it. What is it's default location on the menus ?

fuscia
May 5th, 2006, 01:19 PM
system settings looks more like an ad than a control panel.

jeremy
May 5th, 2006, 05:34 PM
kcontrol, without a moments hesitation.

SeanTater
May 5th, 2006, 08:52 PM
I read the topic and chose kcontrol
no thought -- no doubt -- kcontrol is much better

DigitalDuality
May 5th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Why do I want to keep pressing the Back button all the time? So I can have one of the worst features in Mac OS X creep on to KDE? No, thanks. OS X has a lot of good things going for it, but the usability of System Preferences is not one of them. KControl all the way...

Actually i find it very usable, both on a mac and in KDE.

aysiu
May 5th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Actually i find it very usable, both on a mac and in KDE. Oh, I can use it. I just hate the Back button. That's why I love tabbed browsing for the web. I like to go directly to places.

SeanTater
May 5th, 2006, 09:28 PM
I agree; the back button is annoying, but the worst part is that you cannot open the same module twice in a row -- sometimes I click and think "I hit the wrong button -- it was the one to the left" -- then I hit back and realize it was the right one -- I click it again and it does not work...

Hygelac
May 5th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Kcontrol is my favourite of the two too.

dimatrod
July 11th, 2006, 09:24 PM
I like System Settings though I haven't been on a Kubuntu installation for more than a day. I don't know, I like it, it's identical to OSX's System Settings too, and I like how things look there.

aysiu
July 11th, 2006, 09:30 PM
I partially agree.

Looks, yes.
Functionality, no.

I don't want to have to keep clicking the Back button...

Caligula
July 11th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Definitely kcontrol...
Personally I don't remmember where exactly all the settings come. In system settings it's a pain to find out, especially on my slow machine, on kcontrol it's a breeze...

So I changed the menu entry to point to kcontrol.. :P

vayu
July 12th, 2006, 08:24 AM
kcontrol here too.

bailout
July 12th, 2006, 03:18 PM
System settings. Much prefer it to kcontrol which I always had problems finding what I wanted.

Cyrus XIII
October 27th, 2006, 11:38 AM
In favor of KControl as well (and reading this thread, I really wonder why Kubuntu Edgy stuck to the System Settings). Anyway, I have a question, which I hope is not too off-topic:
Since I like my system to be lean and mean, I did a text mode install and then went on installing the x-window-system-core, kdebase and so on... While System Settings is never installed, I'm also missing several modules in KControl, with the display and joystick settings being the most annoying to be gone. My guess is, that some packages (KDE related or not) still need to be installed for those modules to show up. Suggestions?

pelle.k
October 27th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou for this poll!
"systems settings" are awful!

nick.inspiron6400
July 22nd, 2007, 08:44 PM
How do I add Kcontrol to the Kmenu?

aysiu
July 22nd, 2007, 09:38 PM
Just right-click the menu, add a new item, and make sure the new item uses the command
kcontrol You can pick whatever icon you like.

Kingsley
July 22nd, 2007, 09:56 PM
I prefer Kcontrol. I didn't even know it existed until I tried KDE on other distributions.

Matakoo
July 22nd, 2007, 09:57 PM
Kcontrol without a seconds hesitation. System settings is awful. Then again, I rarely open up the main Kcontrol window either. I much prefer to use the settings sub-menues in the Kmenu. Much quicker to find whatever you need to change that way.

aks44
July 22nd, 2007, 10:15 PM
Being a recent Linux convert, I didn't even know KControl existed... Thanks to this poll, now I got rid of System Settings (found it quite unintuitive from the first day). KControls suits me way better. :D

Erunno
July 22nd, 2007, 11:30 PM
Well, Systems Settings have replaced KControl in KDE4 due to lack of maintainers and nobody stepped up to port it to KDE4 yet. I just hope that one of the devs will get annoyed enough by SS and bring back KControl for KDE 4.1 or later.

newsun
November 20th, 2007, 11:46 PM
I am so glad to have found kcontrol, and sadened to hear it may not be in kde4...if not they better have a list view option added to ss that shows all setting options, that was urking me till today, yay kcontrol! :KS

pelle.k
November 21st, 2007, 12:40 AM
The fact is, that system settings is just as competent as control center, but somehow kubuntu managed to "loose" a few components (dumb it down) just as kde in kubuntu has no "window" menu in konqueror.
- "What! 'window' menu? I've never heard of it!

No, because kubuntu is probably the only distro to remove it by default. Don't you worry people, kde4 in itself will probably have a very nice implementation of system settings, but just wait until the kubuntu devs get their hands on it, and decide to remove some functionality.

Yeah, that was a nasty comment. I know. Kubuntu is actually a very nice kde distro, aside from a few annoyances...

lieuhon
October 19th, 2008, 05:44 AM
I also prefer Kcontrol centre. Especially the samba session makes configuring samba server much easy than using SWAT.

SunnyRabbiera
October 19th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Kcontrol by far, too bad KDE4 doesnt have it.