PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Adding Windows XP to existing 10.10 install

nikephorous
March 12th, 2011, 01:46 AM
Hi,

After spending almost 100 hours trying to get my MP3 player working I have decided to add an XP partition and use it there.

I am an Ubuntu newbie and am finding the whole "new-dos" experience too frustrating for words.

Can someone please explain in ENGLISH for an IDIOT how I can do this.

;)

Cheers

beew
March 12th, 2011, 02:16 AM
What problems do you have with Ubuntu's mp3 player? Did you install the packge Ubuntu-restricted-extra? You need to install the codecs to play mp3.

nikephorous
March 12th, 2011, 02:36 AM
Hi,

Sorry - external MP3/flash player. Listed as being suitable for Vista/W7/XP, but for some reason will not even show up when plugged in. Very frustrated - the time I have spent on this if converted to overtime would have bought me a Macbook and an ipod touch!

](*,)

nikephorous
March 12th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Never mind - like most forums this one is clearly a waste of my time.

73ckn797
March 13th, 2011, 12:02 AM
You have not given people much time to help you. Are you sure you have spent the time trying to figure out the issue you ask about as you have waiting for an answer to this?

People would need to know the brand and model of the device you cannot get working.

XsheepX
March 13th, 2011, 03:23 AM
If it's dual-booting XP and Ubuntu you want,

First thing you want to do is install Windows XP, and use the entire hard drive, so back up your files!
Then, install Ubuntu second, and use however much space you want.

You could do it the other way around, but you probably don't want to have to mess with grub after Windows overwrites it.

Skulduggery
March 13th, 2011, 03:37 AM
I have also had some problems with mp3 files using Rythmbox. I have just recently installed Maverick and out of the itunes files/folders only some of the files are recognized. I say this because I can see quite a few missing tracks, actually more than 700MB. I have downloaded some of the codecs but not the proprietary codecs.
Is it possible that this is the problem?

XsheepX
March 13th, 2011, 03:45 AM
I have also had some problems with mp3 files using Rythmbox. I have just recently installed Maverick and out of the itunes files/folders only some of the files are recognized. I say this because I can see quite a few missing tracks, actually more than 700MB. I have downloaded some of the codecs but not the proprietary codecs.
Is it possible that this is the problem?
Yes, have you installed the Ubuntu restricted extras?

Hedgehog1
March 13th, 2011, 04:32 AM
Never mind - like most forums this one is clearly a waste of my time.

OP had a seperate thread with the player identified:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1705191

He indicated that he is uninstalling Ubuntu about 4 hours ago.

XsheepX
March 13th, 2011, 04:38 AM
OP had a seperate thread with the player identified:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1705191

He indicated that he is uninstalling Ubuntu about 4 hours ago.
lol, looks like it's back to winblows for him.

Skulduggery
March 14th, 2011, 02:10 AM
I have now installed the "Ubuntu restricted extras" and still no apparent luck.

There is a list of import errors that list,"The MIME type of file could not be identified"

XsheepX
March 14th, 2011, 03:35 AM
I have now installed the "Ubuntu restricted extras" and still no apparent luck.

There is a list of import errors that list,"The MIME type of file could not be identified"
Are you able to access the device as a folder containing the files? If so, it would be easier to just add/remove media files that way, similar to a flash drive. it's worked that way for me on all of my media devices.

Skulduggery
March 20th, 2011, 06:31 AM
Yes, I think that I might. I'll try that.
I can actually look at the files but they don't import to Rythmbox. They are listed as m4p files.

Sorry for the slow reply~I've been out of town.