PDA

View Full Version : Unity Qt on KDE?

CraigPaleo
March 11th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Has anyone tried running Unity 2D in place of Plasma in KDE? If not, how feasible would it be?

Even though it uses Qt, is it still dependent on Gnome libraries? If not, wouldn't it make KDE lighter if it's possible to run it instead of Plasma? Is it even be possible to not run Plasma?

I'm not exactly a fan of Unity as a desktop shell but I'm even less of a fan of the netbook containments offered by Kubuntu and KDE. Of course I appreciate them all as many people do use and prefer them but I think a Unity 2D option would be better for some. At least simply having a third choice would be better.

What are your thoughts and/or experiences?

kungpo
March 11th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Has anyone tried running Unity 2D in place of Plasma in KDE? If not, how feasible would it be?

Even though it uses Qt, is it still dependent on Gnome libraries? If not, wouldn't it make KDE lighter if it's possible to run it instead of Plasma? Is it even be possible to not run Plasma?

I'm not exactly a fan of Unity as a desktop shell but I'm even less of a fan of the netbook containments offered by Kubuntu and KDE. Of course I appreciate them all as many people do use and prefer them but I think a Unity 2D option would be better for some. At least simply having a third choice would be better.

What are your thoughts and/or experiences?

I don't think KDE runs Compiz, certainly not by default. by adding things like Compiz , Unity, GTK and so on if at all possible would surely just create a big slow resource hog.

CraigPaleo
March 11th, 2011, 11:03 PM
But it doesn't require Compiz. Even Unity 3D uses Clutter.

I'm talking about Unity 2D. It doesn't require Clutter either. The whole reason I'm asking this is because it's written in Qt. My biggest curiosity is whether it can be substituted for Plasma.

Simian Man
March 11th, 2011, 11:09 PM
Of course it can be. You can just install Unity-QT and a bunch of KDE applications as default. I personally think plasma and especially Kwin are some of the best things about KDE and would not want to replace them with any kind of Unity.

CraigPaleo
March 11th, 2011, 11:47 PM
Of course it can be. You can just install Unity-QT and a bunch of KDE applications as default. I personally think plasma and especially Kwin are some of the best things about KDE and would not want to replace them with any kind of Unity.

A agree. I like Plasma too. :) I know it can be done but are you suggesting that doing a minimal install and then installing Unity-QT and KDE apps would do the trick? It wouldn't pull in Gnome dependencies or Plasma? That's precisely what I wanted to know.

Simian Man
March 11th, 2011, 11:59 PM
A agree. I like Plasma too. :) I know it can be done but are you suggesting that doing a minimal install and then installing Unity-QT and KDE apps would do the trick? It wouldn't pull in Gnome dependencies or Plasma? That's precisely what I wanted to know.

I'm sure it would pull in the plasma desktop, but you wouldn't have to have it running. The Gnome apps, I'm not sure about.

CraigPaleo
March 12th, 2011, 03:17 AM
I'm sure it would pull in the plasma desktop, but you wouldn't have to have it running. The Gnome apps, I'm not sure about.

How do you know that? Tell me. Inquiring minds want to know. :)

jerenept
March 12th, 2011, 04:56 AM
But it doesn't require Compiz. Even Unity 3D uses Clutter.
Unity 3D (Natty) uses Compiz, and it's way superior to the Maverick version imho.

I'm talking about Unity 2D. It doesn't require Clutter either. The whole reason I'm asking this is because it's written in Qt. My biggest curiosity is whether it can be substituted for Plasma.
Doubtful.

CraigPaleo
March 12th, 2011, 05:21 AM
I see but I'm mainly talking about Unity 2D Qt.

uRock
March 12th, 2011, 05:25 AM
Reopened.

Please keep the Code of Conduct (http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy) in mind when posting.

Thanks,
uRock