Check this out http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/facts/default.mspx

You WILL die laughing.

BWF89
February 25th, 2005, 10:42 PM

jdodson
February 25th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Check this out http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/facts/default.mspx

You WILL die laughing.

right. the fact that i am posting means i have successfully come back from the grave. i am now the ghost of jdodson.

Yukonjack
February 25th, 2005, 11:05 PM
MS stuff don't interest me but like jdodson said I am a ghost now.

rapala61
February 25th, 2005, 11:15 PM
i wonder why Linux doesnt have a FACTS PAGE about windows and linux...

Windows more secure .... pufff!! that is just nonsense.... :shock:

how many viruses u get on linux.. how many u get in windows??

that should be on their FACTS PAGES....

$Q@$@!$!!!! Now theyre gonna have to pay for my ambulance and hospital bill....
i just got out of sirgury ... and i had a stroke....

DJ_Max
February 25th, 2005, 11:33 PM
Microsoft has always been saying Unix costs more to maintain then Windows. But the fact is, a majority of the Unic software out there is free!!! Firewalls, BFD's, clustering, control panels, etc.

I find it VERY hard to believe Windows is cheaper then Unix.

jdodson
February 25th, 2005, 11:55 PM
Microsoft has always been saying Unix costs more to maintain then Windows. But the fact is, a majority of the Unic software out there is free!!! Firewalls, BFD's, clustering, control panels, etc.

I find it VERY hard to believe Windows is cheaper then Unix.

right but most companies require vendor support. in the rare or not so rare case that something breaks, it makes management feel good to point the finger at someone and have them fix it. it makes people feel good, plus it helps a buisness stay profitable. less downtime usually equates to more money made.

microsoft usually quotes redhat pricing when they do thier market comparisions. this has been shifting twoard suse, and that is good. suse tends to be less expensive. however i will cite redhat for my points.

so when redhat enterprise advanced as premium is $2499 (http://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/compare/server/) for an unlimited client license. when you think about it that is VERY pricy, but maybe not for what you get. one hour phone turn around is nice, 24x7 support is nice, high phone priority is nice. personally i would go with the basic es version as i don't think the $2000 price jump is worth the extra benifit. then again, if you had a server that needed %99.9 uptime, the advanced as might be a good deal.

now when you think windows, you need to think about client licenses. so you are just not purchasing the license and support like redhat. with windows server you are purchasing the license, support and client licenses. most of the those reports cite a small office that may only need a 5 seat or 25 seat windows 2003 server (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/pricing.mspx) . they might also be comparing it to redhat enterprise advanced as which is not a fair comparision. anyways, client seat licenses can toss a huge business into the hundreds of thousands of dollars range. is that a better deal than running redhat enterprise as with all the clients on fedora?

then again if you take out the redhat and put in something like ubuntu then the pricing skews way into gnu/linux favor.

cost also involves on site support and the amount of techs you have to hire to administer machines, etc. it is my firm belief that a knowledgable gnu/linux admin team can run circles around the windows 2003 equivalent. my main reasoning is the tools that back both platforms. in my eyes, gnu/linux blows windows out of the water. though if we are talking strictly in the collab area, windows is still the winner. though the hula project seems to be gaining some momentum.

morethannoise
February 26th, 2005, 02:55 AM
Microsoft is going to great lengths to defend the Windows operating system as the only cost effective option available. The fact that Microsoft feels a need to do this points to their feeling extremely threatened by Linux. They must be feeling an impact.

TravisNewman
February 26th, 2005, 04:04 AM
<snip>
...though the hula project seems to be gaining some momentum.

Oh man, the hula project... I just checked that out for the first time a few days ago, and it looks SWEET! A lot of great stuff is coming out of Novell lately-- I'm personally hoping for Novell to be the next RedHat. They seem to be making more innovation-- at least corporate innovation-- than RedHat, SuSE just got certified for business server use (the first Linux distro to do so), and they genuinely seem to care about what they're doing, not just about making money, and RedHat... well, I'm not sure at this point what they care about.

Anyway, Microsoft is starting to squirm a bit, and I find it amusing. Unfortunately people are going to listen.
Novell is trying to counteract against them with some PSAs. Hopefully the right people will get the message.

Quest-Master
February 26th, 2005, 04:12 AM
The fact that they've gone to great lengths to create that set of pages shows that they are frightened by the recent rise of *nix systems.

Meaning, they might've realized by now that.. there is some serious competition in the air right now.

oddabe19
February 26th, 2005, 05:23 AM
The fact that they've gone to great lengths to create that set of pages shows that they are frightened by the recent rise of *nix systems.

Meaning, they might've realized by now that.. there is some serious competition in the air right now.
You also have to remember....

There are very few certified linux system engineers, compared to MSCE people. So linux people may get hired for much more (Depending on how desprite a company needs them) in that regards.... yes, windows is cheaper to maintain.

HOWEVER, software is usually free for *nix, and needs very little fine tuning (for the most part)... so in those regards, it is much much MUCH cheaper to maintain linux.