PDA

View Full Version : A Senator of mine actually made the system work

Lucradia
March 11th, 2011, 05:28 PM
I wrote an e-mail to a senator of mine in hopes to get an idea into the FCC. It's about the current stand-ing of software updates on tablets used only for wi-fi purposes. Currently, like Android Smartphones, you are forced to get a wireless carrier to update your Android OS... but the idea I sent to my senator would have the FCC make sure that manufacturers/carriers allow us updates to the OS without needing a carrier.

This week, when I returned home day, I found my answering machine had 1 message on it. When I played it, I nearly dropped over by sheer excitement that it was one of the FCC Department Administrators calling me about the idea. The senator had apparently forwarded the idea/concern to the FCC.

I guess the system can work, even for us. Although it currently doesn't affect me, as I use a Droid X for wi-fi only, I hope to someday get a tablet to replace it, but that will be a year or two. So getting this idea would benefit me as well as lots more. I replied back today even though it would cost me a dollar or two due to me not having a national plan on my land-line.

I could also give them an idea to enact a feature on all android phones to allow you to unlock it native-ly like the Droid X, by inputting a pattern on the activate screen.

Paqman
March 11th, 2011, 06:28 PM
I could also give them an idea to enact a feature on all android phones to allow you to unlock it native-ly like the Droid X, by inputting a pattern on the activate screen.

Isn't that the Android default?

Lucradia
March 11th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Isn't that the Android default?

Nope; most sprint phones don't allow you to do that from what I've heard.

Copper Bezel
March 11th, 2011, 06:37 PM
No, some have to be hacked by removing the memory. Some carriers don't much care for it, so the phones make it difficult for you. That's a problem I'd consider writing a congressperson over.

This other bit I don't get. Google limits the Market to 3G devices as a quality control measure, not because they just don't like you.

Edit: Lucradia beat me to the first bit.

earthpigg
March 11th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Nope; most sprint phones don't allow you to do that from what I've heard.

but sprint phones also have an unmodified Android Market so, for me at least, I have no motive to root it.

i've used the 'wifi hotspot' widget to create a new form of micro-blogging by changing the SSID to fit my current thoughts.

Lucradia
March 11th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Well, the FCC replied back. They said that based on needs, the FCC suggests that you buy a device that only fits what you need to use. The FCC's authority has a small scope in how updates are pushed, but, according to them, it doesn't seem necessary.

Security problems will always arise, and that the largest security threats would come from a code that was injected into the update via the Internet somewhere along the line between you and the update server.

Basically, they suggest buying a Wi-Fi Only tablet in this case. But they are a bit mis-understanding to the whole problem. Though I clarified, as above (about malicious code being injected.) They won't do anything, and some of the problem is, parts of the idea they can't actually do.

earthpigg
March 11th, 2011, 10:36 PM
That's still phenomenal that your voice got heard, Lucradia.

I can't ask the senator's name on this forum, but would you mind sharing what state you live in, and if your senator calls himself "Junior" or "Senior"?

Purely because I am interested in geography and naming conventions, has nothing to do with politics. I swear.

Lucradia
March 11th, 2011, 11:53 PM
That would be Sen. Herb Kohl. He's a republican democrat for the state of Wisconsin. However, I am unsure if it's normal senate, or a different senate. I don't get out much, and rarely hear his name on the vines.

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herb_Kohl

earthpigg
March 14th, 2011, 05:56 AM
thank you :)